Northernnutters reading list 2009.

northernnutter

In book five, 'Bridge of Rama', the Vanar's come through for Rama in huge force, not just an army, but the entire Vanar population! What they call a 'generation army'. Also, the species of bears also comes to fight for Rama, following a centuries old prophecy.

There's just one problem! Vanar's hate water, but to get to Lanka, a great ocean must be crossed- so, they begin to build a bridge of stone to cross the ocean.

meanwhile, Hanuman, Rama's faithful vanar friend is revealed as not just any Vanar! He is, in fact, the son of the wind god, with a mortal mother, and therefore a demi-god with untold powers.

When rama recieves a warning that the bridge will not be completed in time to save Sita, Rama asks Hanuman to be his champion, and rescue her from Lanka, and the clutches of Ravana. Hanuman accepts the task.

In Lanka, Sita is in a bad way, facing an imminent death sentence, and even more so as she realises the battle between Rama and Ravana has been twisted into a story by Ravana, where Rama is seen as the war-mongerer and 'killer of a demon generation', whereas Ravana and the demon clans are seen as the victims of Rama's rage!!

Therefore when Hanuman comes to save her, she refuses to go, knowing that once returned home, Rama will not invade Lanka, allowing Ravana to spread his side of the story, and make Rama look cowardly by allowing someone else to save his wife! She knows the only way to prove that Rama is the righteous of the two, is to face, and destroy Ravana in face to face combat.

Reluctantly, Hanuman returns to Rama without Sita.....

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just finished "Pride and Predjudice and Zombies", by Jane Austin and Seth Grahame-Green.

The premise....

Basically a retelling of Austin's beloved regency classic with a twist....that being England is awash with the undead, scouring the countryside for 'more brains'. Enter the Bennett sisters, ninja trained, kick-ass Zombie killers, facing the trials of love and happiness among the carnage!!

The verdict.....

I soooo wanted to like this book! The cover looked great, and the promise of Austin and Zombies was irresistible..but I came away from it feeling somewhat cheated!

The idea for this book was fantastic, but sadly, the execution was dire!!

Yes, the first few chapters were funny-, roaming Zombies, sabre wielding young ladies, but after a while this book becomes a 'one trick, (or joke) pony!!

Basically, the author plagiarises the original story, and then adds a few meaningless 'zombie' killing scenes', which completely jar with the original text. Their presence in the novel adds nothing to the storyline whatsoever! No attempt at integrating them into the plotline of any of the main characters!(Well...perhaps Charlotte and Mr Collins being the exception.) You never feel the main characters are in danger in any way, or that the 'plague' has changed their lives in any way of note!! I gritted my teeeeth to the end of the book, hoping for a grand 'zombie showdown', a few of the main characters being gouged perhaps, anything to add a bit of zombie spice!!- but i was sorely dissapointed!

Where the author does try and change the 'original', through dialogue, and character changes, it's even worse. Mild charcters become 'crass' and 'bawdy',. Mr Bennet and Mrs Gardner have extra-marital dalliances, (what!!), Mr Darcy turns into a non-heroic Mr Wickham beater,(although he probably deserves it!), and as for Elizabeth, a character known so well for her intelligence and whit?! She turns into a psychotic, unlikeable character who'll cut off you head and eat your heart for the slightest offence! (Be afraid..very afraid!!).

And as for any sign of humor?? There are a few innuendo's that cause a smirk, but after being hit by double-entendre 'balls' humour for the upteenth time, together with 'vomit and bowel 'humour', you are just left with a sour taste in the mouth!!

I'm afraid the only good thing about this book is when you skip the Zombie/Ninja :D, and get back to Austin's original text. Thankfully about 80% of the book!!

Great idea.....badly executed!! Read the first few chapters, you'll get the idea, then don't bother with the rest!!

Rating 2/10

1 point for the idea, 1 point for the cool cover!

Edited by northernnutter

Well, I finally finished the sixth, and last, book of Ashk Banker's "Ramayana" epic!- King of Ayodhya.

In this final installment, Rama reaches the land of Lanka with his vanar and bear army and prepares for all out war with Ravana and the demonic Rakshasa hordes.........

And what a battle it is!

Of all the books, I think this one is my favourite, as I love a good battle, and Ashok describes it so well! You can almost smell the blood and rage, from both sides of the battlefield.

He also intersperses the main battle story with individual stories of heroism, making it feel incredibly personal!

I won't tell you the outcome....although I felt it was never really in doubt!

Having no previous knowledge of this well known , and loved, Indian Epic, I must say, I enjoyed the trials of Rama and his compatriots enormously, and I feel Banker has made what may seem a daunting tale accessable to the masses. It's fresh, and modern in it's approach, and highly readable!

A final hint, if you consider reading this series..if possible, don't read them one after the other, if you can.( I had no choice, as they were loaned.)

Perhaps, break them up with other reading, so you don't get Rama 'fatigue', as I did close to the end. Also, ignore the dictionary in the back of the books. Yes, there are a few indian ethnic words in the narrative, but if you get into the flow of the books, many of the words are explanatory by their context, and you won't become distracted by flicking to and fro all the time, as I did in the first few books!

In summmary then.....If you're after a different approach, and the telling of a great epic battle between good and evil, give the "Ramayana" a go!!

Just finished "The Host", by Stephenie Meyer.

This is my first delve into Meyer's writing. (haven't read the Twilight series), and I was pleasantly surprised!

The premise....

'Souls'..a parasitic alien species, have infiltraded earth, using the human body as their 'Hosts'. Taking over the 'Host' mind, should mean that the soul gains complete control of the host body, turning the human race into a placid, non-violent, 'hive-like' community..but that isn't the case when the soul 'Wanderer' is transplanted into the human mind of Melanie Stryder. Melanie fights back to keep some control over Wanderer, which leads them on a journey of discovery together, about each others' species, their feelings, their wants and ultimately, the greatest emotion of them all...love.

I really enjoyed the original premise of this book. Alien invasion, the fight for survival, and the underlying feelings of love and aceptance which both species strive for.

Melanie and Wanderer's gradual understanding of one another, their unfolding relationship is well written, where you feel just as much for the protagonist wanderer and her fate, as you do for the unwilling host Melanie.

I also enjoyed the turmoil of the characters' Jared and Ian. Jared for his reluctant acceptance of Wanderer, and Ian, as the only human who appears to understand the true character and feelings of the soul, Wanderer.

A little slow at first, the story soon speeds up, and you find yourself carried along at a fair pace, until the end..., which was the only part of the story which left me a little dissapointed I'm afraid!

Yes, I realise,

for the chance of a sequel, 'Wanda' had to be placed in another host, but I felt her quick acceptance of this betrayal of her final wishes was a little out of character!! Was upset about it at first, but seemed to get over it pretty darn quickly! especially as her experience with melanie had shown how taking a host was fundamentally wrong! And at the expence of the happiness of another innocent 'soul'....one of her own species???

I'm not sure about that one....

This small point aside, I really enjoyed the book, and give it a worthy 8/10.

Edited by northernnutter
typo

Finished Stieg Larsson's "The Girl With the Dragon Tattoo" today.

Having read so many good reviews of the book, I must say , I was a little apprehensive about this one! Would it live up to expectation?

Well, I have so say, I wasn't disappointed!

An intriguing plot, including a forty year old murder/mystery, family secrets, and iresistible main characters. Interwoven with the modern story of industrial/financial fraud.

I loved the character of Lisbeth Salander in particular. A rather dark, dysfunctional, strong young woman, with many talents, yet also painfully vulnerable...

A great thriller, well told, which had me guessing to the very end...

Just one minor point seemed a little 'out' with me during the story.

That being

as we find out,( with Lisbeths' planned blackmail of her new advokat,) through yearly reports, and a court appeal, her declaration of incompetence can be rescinded. Why then didn't her original advocat , Palmgren, her friend and confidante, who gave her full controll of her life, and was aware she could function as a 'productive, working' adult not instigate this process for Lisbeth sooner?? Yes, Lisbeth states she was happy with the 'status quo', but surely, as a friend, Palmgren should have pushed the matter, for Lisbeth to gain independence from the state?

I know... a niggly, probably insignificant point, which if addressed, would not have allowed for us to see how she reacted to her new advokat, but still.....

All in all, I loved the novel, and will be getting hold of book two as soon as......!

Great story, great character. 9/10.

Finished Stieg Larsson's "The Girl With the Dragon Tattoo" today.

Having read so many good reviews of the book, I must say , I was a little apprehensive about this one! Would it live up to expectation?

Well, I have so say, I wasn't disappointed!

An intriguing plot, including a forty year old murder/mystery, family secrets, and iresistible main characters. Interwoven with the modern story of industrial/financial fraud.

I loved the character of Lisbeth Salander in particular. A rather dark, dysfunctional, strong young woman, with many talents, yet also painfully vulnerable...

A great thriller, well told, which had me guessing to the very end...

Just one minor point seemed a little 'out' with me during the story.

That being

as we find out,( with Lisbeths' planned blackmail of her new advokat,) through yearly reports, and a court appeal, her declaration of incompetence can be rescinded. Why then didn't her original advocat , Palmgren, her friend and confidante, who gave her full controll of her life, and was aware she could function as a 'productive, working' adult not instigate this process for Lisbeth sooner?? Yes, Lisbeth states she was happy with the 'status quo', but surely, as a friend, Palmgren should have pushed the matter, for Lisbeth to gain independence from the state?

I know... a niggly, probably insignificant point, which if addressed, would not have allowed for us to see how she reacted to her new advokat, but still.....

All in all, I loved the novel, and will be getting hold of book two as soon as......!

Great story, great character. 9/10.

Palmgren and Elizabeth's relationship because more apparent in book 2. Alot abut her past comes into play in the second book.

And.... If you can believe it the second is better!!

Just finished The Nightwatch, by Sergei Lukyanenco.

The Blurb.

Walking the streets of Moscow, indistinguishable from the rest of it's population, are the Others. Possessors of supernatural powers and capable of entering the twilight, a shadowy world that exists in parallel to our own, each Other owes alleigence either to the dark or the light.

The Nightwatch follows Anton, a young Other, owing allegience to the light. As a nightwatch agent he must patrol the streets and Metro of the city, protecting ordinary people from the vampires and werewolves of the Dark. When he comes across Svetlana, a young woman under a powerful curse, and saves an unfledged other. Egor , from vampires, he becomes involved in events that threaten the uneasy truce, and the whole city...

The Verdict.

I loved this novel, from the grimey, dim descriptions of modern moscow, to the intriguing hidden world of Anton and the continued struggle for power by the 'light' and 'dark' factions of the city.

But what I enjoyed most about this novel, was the ambiguity of what the 'light' and 'dark' factions truly represent. What appears at first as a 'black and white' distinction between 'the dark and light'...good and evil, turns, through the unfolding of plots and intrigue into a distinctive shade of 'grey'.

Anton himself has to come to terms with these ambiguities during his experiences in the novel.

Continually used as a pawn, by both sides, for their own ends, Anton has to decide for himself his true path.

The novel is, strictly speaking, seperated into three novellas, each dealing with a specific 'Nightwatch' crisis that Anton is pulled into. Although not obviously connected, they, ultimately , culminate into the final' intrigue' at the end of the novel.

If you enjoy the 'good' vs 'evil' fantasy Genre, with a bit of a kick and a twist, the Nightwatch' might be just up your street!!

Super, supernatural Soviet shinannegins....9/10.

Edited by northernnutter

A bit of an update on recent reading....

Firstly, The Eyre Affair by Jasper Fforde.

Having finished this book, I have to thank members of this forum for bringing this author to my notice, because i absolutely loved it!!

The crazy parallel world inhabited by Thursday Next was, for me, an utter ride into a delicious, comic and fantastical adventure that I didn't want to end, and I shall be scouring the bookshops for the next installment.

A story that contains literary, almost 'religious-like' fervour, time-travel, a crime to solve, an excellent 'baddie', one of my favourite novels-Jane Eyre, romantic trouble and ........a pet Dodo!!!

Fabulous!!

Now, threre are a lot of literary references in this novel, and on the first read, I was quite surprised,(and pleased) that I picked up on most of them, but, I'm sure there were also a few that I missed, so I'm just going to have to read it again! Not something I do very often.. but I think the book warrants it....

Welcome to the world of Fforde!!!!!! Can't wait to get back there!!

Rating: 10/10.

The second book finished this week was Darkly Dreaming Dexter, by Jeff Lindsay.

Having absolutely loved the television series, and having seen quite a few Lindsay fans on the forum, I was excited to get my hands on this first installment of the life of Dexter, but , in all honesty, I was a little disappointed!

Maybe my mind has been too warped by the tv interpretation of the novel, but I found, reading the novel, I felt no feeling towards Dexter whatsoever. I felt he came across far darker and colder in the novel, and I realise that is the point of the character,- emotionless, un-human, acting a role, but I always had sympathy with that side of him in the tv series because I also felt he had a softer vulnerable side. I just didn't get that feeling from the novel at all....even when it came to his relationship with Deb.

I'm ashamed to say, that in this case, (and this happens very rarely!), I far preferred the tv adaption than the original source!!

(Sorry all you Lindsay fans out there!!). No more Dexter for me, I'm afraid!

Rating: 5/10.

It's great that you enjoyed 'The Eyre Affair' so much, as I think the series just gets better! :) You described the book so well too, I may have to quote you when I am recommending the book to others (as I often do!).

I have read DDD but not seen the tv series, so I quite enjoyed it, although I haven't read any further Dexter books. Maybe the watching first does through it off a bit.

It's great that you enjoyed 'The Eyre Affair' so much, as I think the series just gets better! :(

Better???....is this possible?? I'm practically slavering with anticipation!

But alas...the next installment will have to wait! Well, untill I recieve all those lovely book voucher requests for christmas! Then it shall be a full-on Fforde fest in the New Year. (And what a great way to start a new 2010 reading list!:).)

I noticed your reaad Dexter. I have heard a few people who had watched the show first, not like the original books.

I only watched a snippet of the show so I had no perceptions of Dexter, maybe this was why I like the first book. not so keen on some of the others though.

I think I need to investiage the Eyre affair a little more. I know absolutely nothing about it.

As someone constantly dropping Fforde's name left right and centre on these here forums, I'm chuffed that you loved The Eyre Affair :irked:! I can confirm that improvement upon perfection is indeed possible: Lost in A Good Book (Book II) I found to be even better than The Eyre Affair, and Vanwa swears to me that The Well of Lost Plots (Book III, which I'm halfway through myself) is even better than Lost in a Good Book... :D!

As someone constantly dropping Fforde's name left right and centre on these here forums, I'm chuffed that you loved The Eyre Affair :irked:! I can confirm that improvement upon perfection is indeed possible.

Keep on name dropping Bookjumper!! I had never heard of this author's work before joining here, and would have just passed on by without knowing the joys of Mr Fforde!

Keep on name dropping Bookjumper!! I had never heard of this author's work before joining here, and would have just passed on by without knowing the joys of Mr Fforde!
You asked for it :irked: my favourite lesser-known books to recommend for your perusal would be:

- Keith Miller, The Book of Flying, about a gentle daydreaming librarian, keeper of books no one but him reads, and his quest for wings in order to win the love of a winged girl who spurns him for having been born freakily wingless. Horrific and beautiful in turns, this is written in a language so splendid I fell in love with it after reading the first paragraph. It's so rare to find books like this, short little wonders where each word is carefully crafted, so it should not be missed.

- Carl-Johan Vallgreen, The Horrific Sufferings of Mind-Reading Monster Hercules Barefoot, His Wonderful Love and his Terrible Hatred, whose plot is basically all in the title (a decisive improvement upon the Swedish original, which only cited the Wonderful Love). Think Frankenstein meets The Count of Monte Cristo, with pepperings of The Elephant Man, Phantom of the Opera and Notre Dame de Paris. How can you lose? Haunting, moving and utterly relevant.

Finished The Black Angel, by John Connolly last night.

The Blurb.

A young woman goes missing from the streets of New York. Those who have taken her believe that nobody cares about her, and that no-one will come looking for her. THEY ARE WRONG.

She is 'blood' to the killer Louis, the man who stands at the right hand of private detective Charlie Parker, and Louis will tear apart anyone who stands in the way of his attempts to find her.

The Verdict.

This book, another in John Connolly's detective 'Charlie Parker' series, is a real cracker!!

Whilst it is helpful to have read some of the previous series, to understand the characters of 'Parker', 'Louis' and 'Angel', and their relationships, this can also be read as a stand alone thriller in it's own right.

And what a thriller it is! Dark and chilling, with supernatural undertones, incorporating religious dogma and the macabre, murder, nasty 'bad' guys, often 'dodgy' good guys and an overall feeling of suffering and redemption, particularly for the main characters' Parker and louis.

It's fast paced- set in the urban grittiness of New York, to the atmospheric country of Romania. Violent in nature, but not gratuitously written where violence over-rides the principles of the story-telling. Connolly is great at giving you just enough to let your own imagination fill in the blanks!!

If you've never read Connolly, but like a real good thriller with exciting characters, give this series a try! You won't be disappointed!

Rating: 8/10.

You asked for it :irked: my favourite lesser-known books to recommend for your perusal would be:

- Keith Miller, The Book of Flying, about a gentle daydreaming librarian, keeper of books no one but him reads, and his quest for wings in order to win the love of a winged girl who spurns him for having been born freakily wingless. Horrific and beautiful in turns, this is written in a language so splendid I fell in love with it after reading the first paragraph. It's so rare to find books like this, short little wonders where each word is carefully crafted, so it should not be missed.

- Carl-Johan Vallgreen, The Horrific Sufferings of Mind-Reading Monster Hercules Barefoot, His Wonderful Love and his Terrible Hatred, whose plot is basically all in the title (a decisive improvement upon the Swedish original, which only cited the Wonderful Love). Think Frankenstein meets The Count of Monte Cristo, with pepperings of The Elephant Man, Phantom of the Opera and Notre Dame de Paris. How can you lose? Haunting, moving and utterly relevant.

Thanks for the recommendations Bookjumper! :( They sound right up my street! But as you say lesser-known, how 'lesser- known' are we talking here? Are they readily available, for eg, 'High street' available, or are these special order jobs?? As, unfortunately, my OH forbids the use of credit card usage over the internet. (He's an I.T. bod and veeery paranoid!!:D). Therefore, my buying abilities are limited!!

The Vallgreen will be readily available in any large bookshop (I bought mine at the Waterstone's in central Liverpool); the Miller might be a bit trickier but if you've got a fair sized Forbidden Planet near you, that's where I got my copy from. If all else fails, bookshops large and small should be able to order it for you though. Glad you're intrigued, by the way :irked: I do try to provide a service.

A service well appreciated! (You should start charging for it!!)
Nah, I'm too lovely and adorkable :irked: besides, hearing that someone's loved a book I've recommended is reward enough. Therefore, do make sure you let me know what you think if you do decide to invest!

Fantasy can be oh so good, Maureen - one just needs to sort out the great works from the faff!

Couldn't agree with you more! I've been a fantasy fan since being a small girl having read 'Rebecca's World', and then onto 'The hobbit', and through the years I've read so many that the formula becomes repetetive and weary. Almost lost my fantasy 'mojo' there for a while-, so, it was great to come across Fforde's novel, purely for the refreshing direction and imagination it contains!!:lol:

Edited by northernnutter

Just Finished, The Black Echo , by Michael Connelly.

The first of Connelly's Harry Bosch detective series, this novel follows Bosch on the trail of a murdered fellow Vietnam vet, someone who Harry knew, and who Harry once let down.

What looks like a 'run-of-the mill' OD doesn't sit right with Harry, therefore, he goes against the general concensus, and starts the hunt for a murderer.

This leads him into his Vietnam past, puts him on the trail of some very adept Bank Robbers, and threatens his job and ultimately his life.

The Verdict.

Having read this series some years ago, I was quite happy in re-emersing myself into the world of Bosch. Connelly paints his detective well- a thinker, a bit of an outcast in the job he does, not 'one of the boys'. But good at his job, and not one to back down when he gets a 'feel' for a case.

This is not a 'slasher/gore' type thriller. Connelly focuses on Bosch's analytical skill and good old detective skills to carry the story...and he does it well.

If I were murdered??? I think I'd want Harry Bosch on the case!!

Just a darn good detective thriller! 8/10