Book Fiend's 2009 Book List

Book Fiend

Because of my slightly obsessive nature I have kept a handwritten list of every book I've read since I was about 14 (I'm nearly 26 now!). Don't worry though, I'm not going to reproduce the whole thing here, I'll just stick to what I've read this year.

Before I start, two points to make:

1) Firstly, I don't read anywhere near as much as most of the people on here! I don't know where you all find the time! (or maybe I'm just a really slow reader). I aim for at least 12 books a year (pitiful next to some peoples targets of 52 books a year I know....) and I normally end up reading between 15 and 20.

2) This has been a slightly strange year for reading as I temporarily joined a reading group earlier this year, so a few of the books on this list aren't things I would normally have read. However, I only went to the group about 3 times before I realised they just didn't read my sort of thing (and they ALL hated The Time Traveller's Wife so I just knew it wasn't for me!)

So here's my list:

1. The Post-Birthday World - Lionel Shriver OK I actually started this in December 08 but I didn't finish it until January so I'm counting it! This is a 'Sliding Doors' type of book and follows the two different paths a womans life follows depending on whether or not she cheats on her husband. A brilliant, clever, thought provoking book.

2. The Godfather - Mario Puzo I've never seen the film so this was my intoduction to the world of Don Corleone. I really liked this book, but it did go on a bit in the middle. I think I need to see the film now.

3. The Book Thief - Markus Zusak A beautiful, strange and heartbreaking book. I loved this but it made me cry so much!!

4. Liars and Saints - Maile Meloy The first of my reading group books. I didn't like this at all, the only good thing I can say about it is it is quite short.

5. The Girls - Lori Lansens Another reading group book, also a Richard & Judy book I think. This was actually quite good, a story about siamese twins written in the first person, with contributions by both twins.

6.The Invention of Everything Else - Samantha Hunt The final reading group book. I quite enjoyed this and thought it was interesting, especially the parts based on the life of Nikola Tesla (real life scientist)

7. The Other Boleyn Girl - Philippa Gregory I loved this! At the beginning I was worried it might be a bit...erm 'fluffy' (if you know what I mean!) but it really gets quite dark as the book goes on.

8. The Farseer Trilogy, Assassin's Quest - Robin Hobb The final book in the fantastically wonderful Farseer Triology. Had me crying by page 42 (I think that must be a record!)

9. A Partisan's Daughter - Louis De Bernieres I did enjoy this, but I'm still stuggling to find a De Bernieres book that lives up to Captain Corelli's Mandolin.

10. Love and Other Near Death Experiences - Mil Millington I'm not a big reader of comedy books but this is hilarious! It's about a man who cheats death because of a series of random choices, but this leaves him unable to make any decisions because he fears any decision he makes (e.g which socks to where) could ultimately lead to his death.

11. 20 Fragments of a Ravenous Youth - Xiaolu Guo This book follows the life of a young film extra living in modern day Beijing. I just found this book really dull and depressing, I was so glad when it was over!

12. Gerald's Game - Stephen King Not, I think, one of Stephen Kings more popular books, but I loved it. It also really scared me!!

13. Let The Right One In - John Ajvide Lindqvist Wow, I loved this book! Brilliantly written with wonderful characters and some very scary moments!

14. Neverwhere - Neil Gaiman This book is fantastic! A wonderful fairy story for grown ups!

15. Cat's Eye - Margaret Atwood I loved this book so much that I have actually written a review of it in the fiction section!

16. The Boleyn Inheritance - Philippa Gregory I really enjoyed this book, it is just as good as The Other Boleyn Girl. I will definately be investing in all of the Tudor Court novels now.

That's it so far!

Edited by Book Fiend
I finished another book!

A great range of books there Book Fiend.

I don't keep a list, as sometimes I read loads, and other times very little, it really depends upon how my reading mojo is at any given time. I also don't set targets for the same reason.

As far as 'The Time Traveler's Wife' is concerned? I just read it, and I love it! :motz:

4. Liars and Saints - Maile Meloy The first of my reading group books. I didn't like this at all, the only good thing I can say about it is it is quite short.

5. The Girls - Lori Lansens Another reading group book, also a Richard & Judy book I think. This was actually quite good, a story about siamese twins written in the first person, with contributions by both twins.

Funnily enough, my book group has also read these two books, and I didn't like them either! Fortunately, we do tend to go for a wide range of books, and I don't mind not liking the books chosen all the time, because occasionally we'll read a book I would never have picked up myself, and find I completely love it. The thing about my reading group I like is the social factor of getting together with other people and talking about books. Even though we mainly discuss the selected books, during the coffee break or at the end of the meeting, we always recommend other books we've read and loved as well.

The thing about my reading group I like is the social factor of getting together with other people and talking about books. Even though we mainly discuss the selected books, during the coffee break or at the end of the meeting, we always recommend other books we've read and loved as well.

That is what I was expecting from a reading group but it just didn't happen! We would all sit there is slightly awkward silence until the discussion officially began!

Also, I found that because I'm not a fast reader I didn't have time to read the reading group book and my books. In the end I decided to give it up and concentrate on trying to reduce my TBR pile! :blush:

I loved The Godfather - definitely watch the films!

I know what you mean about Gerald's Game - creepy!

I was especially wigged out by the "de-gloving" sequence - ick!

And The Other Boleyn Girl remains my favourite Philippa Gregory to date (I've read all her historical novels up to date apart from The White Queen and The Other Queen).

I know what you mean about Gerald's Game - creepy!

I was especially wigged out by the "de-gloving" sequence - ick!

Eww, me too. I read it when I was about 13 or 14 I think, and last year I could remember nothing about it but that little bit (I found out what it was when I joined the forum), I think it'll stay with me forever! :blush:

And The Other Boleyn Girl remains my favourite Philippa Gregory to date (I've read all her historical novels up to date apart from The White Queen and The Other Queen).

What did you think of The Boleyn Inheritence? I have it earmarked as a possible holiday read for when I go away in a couple of months. :lol:

1) Firstly, I don't read anywhere near as much as most of the people on here! I don't know where you all find the time! (or maybe I'm just a really slow reader). I aim for at least 12 books a year (pitiful next to some peoples targets of 52 books a year I know....) and I normally end up reading between 15 and 20.

That's about the same as me. I only ever manage a couple of books a month.

12. Gerald's Game - Stephen King Not, I think, one of Stephen Kings more popular books, but I loved it. It also really scared me!!

Ooh I haven't read this but I'm intrigued now. I'm dying to peek at Kell's spoiler. Mustn't. Mustn't.

I've decided that I need to start keeping a wish list of all the wonderful sounding books I'm coming across on the forum. I did promise myself that I was going to stop buying books for a while, but as long as I can still physically fit them in the house that's never going to happen!

Here is my current wish list:

Jane Eyre - Charlotte Bronte (slightly ashamed that I've never read this)

The Eyre Affair - Jasper Fforde (I'd never heard of this before but after seeing the author mentioned a lot by BookJumper I looked it up and it looks very interesting!)

If This Is A Man - Primo Levi (this has actually been on my mental to-buy list for a while)

Guernica - Dave Boling

All of the Tudor novels by Phillipa Gregory!

Generation Dead - Daniel Waters

The Vampyre - Tom Holland (I confess, I've been pinching my ideas from BookJumpers list again!)

Wolf Hall - Hilary Mantel

East of Eden - John Steinbeck (thanks to Dimitra for recommending this in my quest for a good family saga)

A Lifetime Burning - Linda Gillard (thanks to Chrissy for recommending this in the same quest)

I, Lucifer - Glen Duncan

Handling The Undead - John Ajvide Lindqvist

Edited by Book Fiend

Jane Eyre - Charlotte Bronte (slightly ashamed that I've never read this)

The Eyre Affair - Jasper Fforde (I'd never heard of this before but after seeing the author mentioned a lot by BookJumper I looked it up and it looks very interesting!)

Oh, get the Jasper, do - you'll love his books, they're awesomeness incarnate and easily the most engaging, diverting and original thing I've read in years!

I say "books" because there are currently four sequels to The Eyre Affair in existence (book six is in progress), as well as two spin-off books (aka the Nursery Crime series). Enough to keep anyone occupied for some time really; myself I'm halfway through book three...

I'd suggest reading it hot on the heels of Jane Eyre - it should enhance your enjoyment of both :D let me know how you find them :friends0:!

• 2 weeks later...
2. The Godfather - Mario Puzo I've never seen the film so this was my intoduction to the world of Don Corleone. I really liked this book, but it did go on a bit in the middle. I think I need to see the film now.

3. The Book Thief - Markus Zusak A beautiful, strange and heartbreaking book. I loved this but it made me cry so much!!

Just wanted to make a comment on these two books. Firstly I haven't read The Godfather but I, like many others on here, recommend the films! They're fantastic and a must-see in my opinion. Secondly, The Book Thief was one of my favourite books this year, delightfully written and such a sad book like you say. I do rarely cry whilst reading but this one successfully managed to make me weep like a baby.

I read this a while ago (I think it was last year) and loved it, but was really annoyed by the ammount of spelling mistakes in my copy! I managed to ignore them most of the time and get on with the story as the writing was great, but it really irked me that the proofreaders doidn't pick up on all those errors (I remember counting to about 25 and then not bothering to count them any more as I was only about half way through!).

Secondly, The Book Thief was one of my favourite books this year, delightfully written and such a sad book like you say. I do rarely cry whilst reading but this one successfully managed to make me weep like a baby.

Oh dear, I cry at nearly every book I read (or so it seems!) but this one especially got to me. I think the thing that made it so sad was the fact that although it is clearly fiction, a lot of the stuff going on in the book actually happened (for those of you that haven't read it is is set in Nazi Germany during WW2).

Although the book is incredibly sad, I also found it strangely uplifting. It slightly renewed by faith in mankind, that even in such dark times there are good people.

I also loved the way it was written, so quirky! And having Death as the narrator is a stroke of genius!

This is definately one of my favourite books of the year. Glad you liked it too! :D

• 3 weeks later...

I haven't been on here for a while so just a quick update!

I'm still here and I'm STILL reading Neverwhere. It's a fantastic book (really!) but unfortunately a lack of free time lately, combined with some bad mojo and being really ill last week means I'm still not finished!

I hate it when you're reading an excellent book but for reasons beyond your control you just can't quite get into it properly. I'm going for a really big push this weekend to try and get it finished :D

Ooh also just wanted to say a big thank you to everybody who sent me a 'happy birthday' message today!

I finally finished Neverwhere today! It is a really brilliant book, a wonderfully imaginative, dark, twisted fairytale for grown ups! It creates a whole fantastically strange world, with memorable characters (I loved De Carabas!) and a clever plot.

I want to live in London Below!!

and I was so pleased at the end when Richard decided to return there!

• 1 month later...

I have just returned from 2 weeks in sunny Cuba, where (nearly) everyday was spent on the beach reading and sleeping and generally being lazy! Unlike a lot of people I don't read hundreds of books in a fortnight on holiday (because of the aforementioned sleeping and lazing! :() but I did finish Cat's Eye by Margaret Atwood, and I'm about half way through The Boleyn Inheritance by Phillipa Gregory.

I absolutely loved Cat's Eye (see my review in the fiction section) and I am now officially making Margaret Atwood my favourite authour (a title taken away from Louis de Bernieres for lack of consistency)

I'm also really enjoying The Boleyn Inheritance. I highly recommend it to anybody who has read The Other Boleyn Girl. It picks up about 3 years after that ends, just after the death of Jan Seymour. From my history lessons at school I can't quite remember what happened to Katherine Howard, but I fear a bad end may be in store!

I agree with you about Louis de Bernieres, I love Captain Correli's Mandolin, and enjoyed A Partisan's Daughter but gave up on Birds Without Wings after deciding it really wasn't going to pick up, I got fairly far in because I was hopeful.

I agree with you about Louis de Bernieres, I love Captain Correli's Mandolin, and enjoyed A Partisan's Daughter but gave up on Birds Without Wings after deciding it really wasn't going to pick up, I got fairly far in because I was hopeful.

Captain Corelli's Mandolin is one of my favourite books, so I was really excited about reading Birds Without Wings. However, I just found it over-long and really overblown, I was very disappointed. I felt like there was a good story in there trying to get out but it was just swamped. I enjoyed A Partisan's Daugther but I didn't LOVE it, it just didn't have that 'wow' factor for me.

I have read one of his books set in South America (Senor Vivo and the Cocoa Lord) and that was better (though slightly disturbing). I still have the other two to read.

Delighted you loved Neverwhere, it's one of my favourite books ever! Have you read/do you plan to read any other Gaiman novels?

The only other Gaiman novel I have read is American Gods. Am I right in thinking you haven't read this yet? I really enjoyed it, my only compaint was that it's quite long and I felt it dragged slightly in the middle. Overall though it's really good, it's certainly quite an epic! If you read it be sure to let me know what you think :D

I will definately be reading more Gaiman, I love his imagination! (also anybody that has a blurb about the writer as amusing as his deserves to be read :(). The only other Gaiman book I have at the minute is Stardust, but I regulary check my local Fopp store for different ones (I'm kicking myself because a while ago they had them all for abour