All time Sci-Fi classics

Prometheus

It's been a while since I read sci-fi so I was surprised how good Joe Haldeman's "The forever war" was. In fact I enjoyed it so much I read it in one sitting. Apparently Ridley Scott is making the film of the book soon.

I used to be an avid sci-fi reader when I was younger with Alfred Bester and Robert Silverberg my all time favourite authors.

The problem with sci-fi is that when its bad it stinks to high heaven but at its very best its visionary.

So to cut to the chase please recommend your all time favourites so I can catch any more that I may have missed in my youth.

Okay, always up for a challenge!

At the top of my list would have to be:

War of the Worlds, by H.G. Wells

The original "The Martians are coming!" novel, and probably still the best; I love the descriptive way Wells writes and this is a book I can read over and again without getting bored.

The Day of the Triffids, by John Wyndham

The Kraken Wakes, also by John Wyndham

The Midwich Cuckoos, by - you guessed it -John Wyndham

Wyndham is one of my favourite authors, and this non-related little trilogy are three of his best. I love the period feel of Wyndham

Nineteen Eighty-Four, by George Orwell

One of the best novels ever written, period. A fascinating look at control and subjugation, that is possibly more relevant today than it ever has been. One of the most thought provoking books I have ever read.

Oddly as primarily a fantasy reader I don't go much in for Sci-Fi, although I'm trying to get into the idea. 1984 however I read a few years ago and it was (for lack of any other words) absolutely blinding. Plan to reread it in the very near future.

The Day of the Triffids, by John Wyndham

Rendezvous With Rama, by Arthur C. Clarke

I second both of these. Rama is one of my all time faves.

I'd also recommend The End of Eternity by Isaac Asimov and Childhood's End by Arthur C Clarke.

I will second The War of the Worlds and the stuff by Arthur C Clarke.

Also, The City and the Stars by Arthur C Clarke. I'm not sure that it would be considered a classic (although it's one of the SF Masterworks, if that's any indication), but it warrants classic status, in my opinion.

It's been a while since I read sci-fi so I was surprised how good Joe Haldeman's "The forever war" was. In fact I enjoyed it so much I read it in one sitting.

Which version? There was a rewritten and updated edition published a few years ago. Which irritated me no end. As much as the original is falling apart (it is held together with a thick rubber band to stop the pages falling out) I can't bear to get rid of it.

I agree on it being a classic SF book wholeheartedly.

It is the Sci-Fi Masterworks edition (1999) and contains a section that was omitted from the original 1974 version.

The writing is not the best but still a good and easy style, the ideas and politics behind this means that there is a good story round the core plot and writers very rarely pull this off.

People always refer to Vietnam about this but my reading of this is that the US Government has gone through a wormhole and arrived at the current debacle of Afghanistan & Iraq. Just substitute Communism with Islam.

The ideas are still very fresh and contemporary.

Haldemann has even come up with an interesting non-Malthusian slant on overpopulation.. brilliant!

Thanks to the rest of you posting

I have still to read Arthur C Clarke. Always thought he was too cerebral when I was younger ... I have no excuse now :(

I will get round to Wyndham and even the tripods by John Christopher. The BBC series put me off for life (almost).:friends0: They didn't even finish the series.

They will be part of my British sci-fi collection. Apart from Orwell the sci-fi writers I have read are predominantly American

I am off to read Fahrenheit 451 completely forgot about that!!

... even the tripods by John Christopher. The BBC series put me off for life (almost).:friends0: They didn't even finish the series.

They didn't do a bad job of adapting the books they did, given they had a BBC budget, their only real mistake was in trying to spin the story out to fill the 13 week slot vacated by Doctor Who. If it had been six or eight parts, it would have made for a much tighter story.

These cross-over a little into fantasy as well as Sci-fi, but I would recommend Julian May's Saga of the exiles. Four books consisting of

The Many-coloured land

The Golden Torc

The non-born King

The Adversary

I love these books - I've re-read them so many times

Ian