A Born Reader Or A Convert?

Katrina1968

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Born reader. I read lots when I was younger, and my reading age was always 3-4 years ahead of my actual age in primary school. I took to it really quickly and loved it. The book I remember most from my childhood is Enid Blyton's The magic faraway tree. Her old cottage is not even 5 minutes drive from me!

Between the ages of 10-17 not much reading occured at all, then eventually I got back into it. I don't think English lessons helped. The books we read were Lord of the flies and Hard times- Charles Dickens . I don't know if it was the age I was at but I found these quite boring and didn't inspire me in the slightest. I somehow still managed to get a B in English Literature despite not feeling I learnt anything at all.

My older sister taught me to read well before school, and I was soon reading The Bobbsey Twins, the Sugar Creek Gang (the BTs plus a religious message) and then on to headier stuff like The Hardy Boys and Tom Swift and His Amazing Whatever. Reading, like most things, has ebbed and flowed through the years, but lately flowing mightily.

Definite born reader - thank god my mum has finally got into actually reading books. Bless her, it only too her to retire to realise what I'd been going on about all these years.

I remember English lessons at school and the fact that I'd always read the entire book when we were actually supposed to be reading and discussing a chapter at a time.....

Just too impatient.

Born reader, have had a library subscription since I was old enough for it, which means 4 years old. :D We went every few weeks, and I always took, and finished, the maximum amount of books, which was 8 at the time.

In junior school I too was always ahead of the rest of the students with reading, when they read school books, the teachers always asked me to bring my own books so I could read by myself. :)

Think I got it from mom, she was always reading when I was younger, these days not so much anymore, but then there wasn't a day going by without seeing her with a book, basically what I do now. :)

Born reader. Though neither of my parents read at all. I remember the first time I stepped inside a library. And would you know it? I didn't pick up a book of jokes or a comic as I had until then but a book on folklore. I guess I'm a sucker for old and rare books. I had almost forgotten what my true reading nature was till I joined this forum though. I'm definitely glad I did.

I got mine from both my Grandfathers. Heck I ransacked my Grandma's house a few years ago to get all my grandpa's books before my cousins could declare them a waste of space and sell them.

I grew up on comics till I was 9~ though. And then not many novels till I was 14.

Edited by vinay87

I'm also a born reader :roll: From a young age my Grandad would read to me and then we'd read together when I was learning my words. I remember going to Gateshead Library with him after school to pick up a book or two when I was at junior school and I'd be reading them on the way home. My Grandma also used to say that when she took me shopping I'd wander around shops picking up leaflets to read on the bus home :D

My Aunt bought me a boxed set of classic novels when I was probably about 9 or 10 and the first book I read on my own was Great Expectations. I've read it a million times since then and it's still one of my all time favourites.

Like a couple of others i loved to read from an early age, both my dad and my grandad read books to us and i have fond memories of my dad voices for 'the wind in the Willows' and 'Winnie the Pooh' and my grandad Kiplings 'Just So Stories'..my mum did try to read to me, but unfortunately i did rather cruelly tell at a very young age that i would read for myself thanks..in hindsight her English was much better than my Spanish ever was.:D

Convert. Other than the Harry Potter series and books i read at school i was never much interested in reading. Once i turned 18 a friend of mine who i knew had a similar taste in movies convinced me to read a few books. Im now 20 and try to read atleast a book a week. However, i find it very difficult to read during uni as i live on campus. Thus i do most of my reading during holidays.

Definitely a born reader - thanks to my Mum who read to me at a very early age; when I was at school I was ahead 3 years of my class reading wise, and ended up reading Yr 6 books when I was Yr 2!

When I was at secondary school I never remember buying books but I certainly remember spending most of my lunch breaks in the library, and then when I was old enough to have my own library account I got one and spent hours just looking through books.

I think I tailed off reading as much as I did when I was trying to do my A Levels as I had too much academia to read, but when my illness got worse I would hole up in my room and read read read!

Andrew - surely your campus has a bookshop? I cannot count the hours I spent in Blackwell's when I was doing my BA...!

Well im from Australia and attend a rural university away from home, the only bookstore we have is the one we can buy our text books from and is very small. The accommodation offered on campus consists of 8 ppl living under one roof. So you can see how easy it is to get distracted, especially since your housemate is 1 step away from their room to yours. Not to mention the drinking and loud music that can go on at any hour, which i admit i do participate in. I think im going to make more of an effort this year, since my interest in ready has really bloomed over the last summer holidays. Fingers crossed.

I see your problem, however - there are ways. Halls in my uni consisted of 12 people per floor x 3 floors x building = 36 people under one roof, yet reading happened :D I'll admit that most of it didn't actually happen in my lodgings (although when in need, that's what locks on doors are for!), but rather in parks/pubs/etc. I cross my fingers for you also, that you may find the space and time to indulge in your newly found passion.

I'm definitely a born reader. My Mom is a massive reader, my Dad - not so much (unless it is the newspaper, then he is a voracious reader! :D) Mom got us all started really early & all 4 of her kids read loads for pleasure.