A Born Reader Or A Convert?

Katrina1968

Here's another question:D

Would you say you have ALWAYS been a reader, or are you a "converted" reader (started late)? If you are a "convert" how old where you and what book triggered your love for reading at the more advanced age?

I didnt care for reading when I was in elementary school. I was a "slow" reader, but one summer before moving to Virginia, I had lots of time on my hands, and so I started reading. My reading level jumped from 3rd grade to 7th grade level over one summer. I've been a reader ever since.

I believe the book that caught me was Little Women.

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've always been a reader. The first book I ever read alone was The Cat in the Hat. I was reading it on the bus on the way home from school and I was so engrossed, I nearly missed my stop! It was all over for me then. :lol:

Born reader - I was slightly precocious in that I learnt to read before I turned 3 and in reading assessments at school my reading age was always years beyond my actual age. My whole family are readers though so probaby not surprising that my sisters and I are too :lol:

I've always been a reader. I can remember a lot of books I had when I was younger, and I was always in the library during Primary School (my favourite teacher always leant me books that she had at home). Then when I was in Secondary School, the reader in me kind of drifted away until my late teens when I started reading again :lol:

Great topic Katrina :lol:

I am a born reader, I learned to read very quickly and have always had a book since then. I think the first book I ever read was one of those Topsy and Tim books :lol:

Edited by Weave

Born reader - I was slightly precocious in that I learnt to read before I turned 3 and in reading assessments at school my reading age was always years beyond my actual age

It was the same for me, even though I come from a non-reading family, but I was lucky that even though my mum wasn't a reader, I was always given plenty of books to develop my love of reading :lol:

As for what I read, I remember reading those Biff and Chip books at infant school and then going onto Enid Blyton as I got older

Born and bred reader. Both my parents are voracious readers and we were carted off to libraries and bookshops from a very young age, which must have sealed our fate. The school librarians loved me, I remember in middle school I was the only student in the librarian's memory to ever have needed a second card stapled to the first because I'd run out of space to record my borrowings...

Like ScarlettBella and Lexie, I was reading before I was 4, my Da taught me :lol:

I am such a boring auntie, I buy nieces and nephews books all the time :lol:

I am such a boring auntie, I buy nieces and nephews books all the time :lol:

Snap :lol: my older sister's children have always received books as presents from me and now both my younger sister & best friend are pregnant I'm already working on little person libraries for them!

Snap :lol: my older sister's children have always received books as presents from me and now both my younger sister & best friend are pregnant I'm already working on little person libraries for them!

Cool ScarlettBella!, I bought my nephew the 'Cat in the hat' not long ago and he loves it :lol:

I don't think I'm a born reader, even though I did read an awful lot when I was small, I still remember my first love being numbers and maths. According to all my family, I knew my times tables by the time I was three, and remember that Sunday morning fun for me, was getting my mum to fill an exercise book with sums that I would work my way through.

I think I temporarily lost my reading mojo from about the age of 15 or 16, but it came back with a vengeance about five years ago, and hasn't left me since.

I don't remember a time when I didn't read. I erad long before I went to school and have never stopped! My sister, on the other had, is a convert. SHe only really started reading for enjoyment a couple of years ago - it was Life of Pi that grabbed her. She got is as gift a while beforehand and it sat onthe shelf for ages before she thought she'd give it a go. Since then she's been steadily corrowing half my permanent collection nd taking away books I'm finished with to keep for herself, as well as buying other new books for herself. I'm well chufed as it gives us yet something else to talk about in our natter sessions! :lol:

I've always been a reader. My mother was even a little bit scared because I was at home with my books all the time and did't want to go out with my friends. And if I wasn't reading, I played such games like 'I'm Captain Nemo! Let's decorate the whole room in Nautilus style!' or 'Let's go and find the Emerald City! Now!' It was a little bit difficult to play these games with my school mates because none of them was interested in reading and they had no idea what I was talking about till there was a film adaptation.

Born reader. Sorta.

My parents taught me how to read before I started school, and I was the only one in my class at Infants that was on the "Rainbow" books (remember them...anybody?...are they still going?). However, as reading got more and more compulsory, and we were forced to read books for tests and exams, I gradually lost interest, much to the chagrine and disappointment of my grandfather, who loved reading. He was always trying to get me to read "The Classics", but apart from Cervantes Don Quixote I had no interest at all. The only stuff I liked to read at school was John Betjeman, everything else, Golding, Steinbech and um can't remember, I despised, I found them so boring...and sorry, still do.:lol: Maybe partly pyschological.

Then, some time in my late twenties, I read a thriller novel: it may have been Adair's Key of The Tower, or maybe Lovesey's Goldengirl...anyway something in a similar vein. Never read anything like it before and never thought reading could draw you in and get your heart beating so fast. Hooked ever since.

I've always been a reader, we started going to the library with school when we started reading and I just gott he reading bug. I did have a slump during my teens but that was mostly because of the boring as H*ll books we had to read for school. When I started going to college I started reading again like I did when I was in elementary school and I haven't stopped since. Now for the last 3 years I've been reading more than watching tv. Which results in a big load of books since I started buying books at the same time.

I've always been a reader, all in thanks to my parents who took me to the library once a week without fail. If they hadn't done that, I'm honestly not sure if I would have liked it as much as I do. :lol:

same here. Was always promised a trip to the library if I went around the other shops in town quietly. It worked too :(

I've always loved reading and used to love going to the library with my mum. In grade school, certain teachers used to have reading contests (can't remember which grade exactly, 5 and 6 I guess) and the student who read the most books and handed in a short book report for each, would get a free book at the end of the month. I loved the challenge and the prize was a great motivator!:lol:

When I started school at the age of 5, my Mum told me I had trouble learning to read, so she went out and bought a load of books to encourage me, and I have never looked back. I suppose then you could say that I am a converted reader. Maybe it was in me all along though and it just had to be brought out, whichever it was, I am grateful, as books are one of the greatest pleasures and sources of learning in my life.