Good Film Adaptations

poppyshake

What in your opinion is/are the best film/s to be adapted from a book?

Here are some of my fave's ..

Sense and Sensibility ... Emma Thompson/Kate Winslett (even though I did spend a lot of the time in the cinema grumbling about the changes and the bits left out/put in .. this is a really gorgeously adapted film).

Lord of the Rings ... Same as above really (though if they had sent Liv Tyler to Helm's Deep to fight as they originally intended.. it would've probably ended up a turkey).

Breakfast at Tiffany's ... I know Truman Capote wanted Marilyn but Audrey was just magnificent in the part.

Harry Potter ... Most of them have been brilliant ... again I'm always grumbling when I see it for the first time that so much is changed or left out but I've never left a Harry Potter screening thinking it was rubbish or been left un-entertained. Worth the cinema fee to see Alan Rickman, Maggie Smith, Robbie Coltrane and Ralph Fiennes .. let alone the rest.

The Chronicles of Narnia (The Lion the Witch and the Wardrobe) ... Thought this was magnificent .. I loved Tilda as Jadis .. she got it spot on and young Georgie Henley was perfect as Lucy .. best scene ever with James McAvoy ... I nearly cried when Lucy first meets Mr Tumnus .. it was perfect and just as I had imagined it.

I want to say To Kill a Mockingbird ... but I've not read the book yet .. the film is fantastic though.

BBC Masterpiece Theater have the absolute best book to movie adaptations. Here are a few of my favorites!

Persuasion

Pride and Prejudice

Wives and Daughters

Is that the Colin Firth/Jennifer Ehle P&P? I loved that adaptation and the other two too ... Justine Waddell was perfect as Molly Gibson

BBC Persuasion

BBC Pride & Prejudice

Jane Eyre (by Franco Zeffirelli)

Romeo & Juliet (by Franco Zeffirelli)

Hamlet (by and with Laurence Olivier)

King Lear (RSC with Ian McKellen)

Tweltft Night (by Trevor Nunn, with Helena Bonham-Carter and Ben Kingsley)

ETA: The Merchant of Venice (with Al Pacino)

All the LOTR films, particularly The Two Towers

Stardust

Carrie

Edited by BookJumper

I agree with the BBC adaptations of Pride & Prejudice and Persuasion, and Emma Thompsons Sense & Sensibility, plus the three Lord of the Rings (although I didn't really enjoy the books that much and actually prefer the film versions :blush:)

My additions to these would be the Merchant Ivory productions of E. M. Forster novels, A Room With A View and Howards End.

To Kill A Mockingbird was a great adaption, Gregory Peck absolutely nailed the character of Atticus. In the novel he's not quite as overtly central, but you get the feeling the whole time that he's the man, and in the movie Peck just steals the show.

BBC Persuasion

BBC Pride & Prejudice

Jane Eyre (by Franco Zeffirelli)

Romeo & Juliet (by Franco Zeffirelli)

Hamlet (by and with Laurence Olivier)

King Lear (RSC with Ian McKellen)

Tweltft Night (by Trevor Nunn, with Helena Bonham-Carter and Ben Kingsley)

ETA: The Merchant of Venice (with Al Pacino)

All the LOTR films, particularly The Two Towers

Stardust

Carrie

I agree with that. I really enjoyed that version of Twelfth Night. It was another I had to study at GCSE and it really helped to have the adaptation which was so close to the text :blush:

• 2 weeks later...

I reckon LOTR was one of the best ones ever. And Atonement was pretty good. My Sister's Keeper was okay, although I was enraged by the ending. Hmmmm. Boy In Striped Pyjamas stayed pretty true to the book. ;D and Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince was sooooooooooooo much better than all of the other movies combined. So good.

I haven't seen To Kill A Mockingbird yet, although I loved the book very much. Gonna have to remind myself to see that.