Derren Brown

Michelle

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Oh, I love Derren Brown! I saw him live in London a couple years ago & he was brillant! He does almost always tell people how he does the tricks (at least on his live shows he does). At the end of the show he goes through how he manipulates people into making the choices he wants them to, or how he predicts what they will say/do by their body language & reactions to the things he says/does.

I'm watching the show now. Can't wait to see how he did it!

Massive Spoilers [don't read unless you've seen the show or are not planning to and want to know what happened], this is mostly for Vanwa's benefit:

Basically, to start with he worked on how to predict what people are going to do and the choices they're going to make, several experiments and things. Then he thought about how he could work this into predicting the lottery and this led him to something called 'Wisdom of the crowd', if you Google it you'll find information most likely. Basically he got 24 people to analyse the numbers from previous lottery shows and found an average from everyone, then used the average numbers. Then he added 'autowriting' in with that and then did the whole thing again to get the final results we saw on the balls. - [so note there was no camera tricks or anything with that one]. However, right at the end he explained how to fix the lottery machine using things like having an inside man and having weighted balls in the machine. He proceeded to tell everyone that this was exactly what he didn't do... then he said: "If I did do this, which I didn't, then I would certainly never admit doing it.." That part was obviously all designed to make people question the earlier information he gave us, and make us think again. Ultimately not telling anyone how exactly he did, just leaving us a choice of two!

Hope I explained that okay..

I loved the way he spent the show explaining his main explanation, then suddenly went onto the 2nd in the last few minutes. :blush:

Yep, that was the best part.. left us guessing.

OK I didn't see the actual show but based on other peoples answers I don't see how 'the wisdom of the crowd' combined with maths can predict the lottery results. I think it must be more of a tricksy illusion than he's letting on.

I'm still wondering if what he did was actually possible because it is true that we're much better at working things out in groups and getting an average, than any experts. However, it all seems a bit far-fetched.

Of course it could be that it really was something like a split screen, and the whole programme was just misdirection. :P

That's true Michelle, that's why the show was so good!

I understood the legal implications of the Live Draw (because the BBC have the right to show the lottery results first so he couldn't do it without a slight delay) However, in my mind, his 'wisdom of the crowd' theory doesn't work either. (I was working the maths backwords from the number 2 ball)

I don't believe it was something as simple as a split screen, he's just too good for that but it definately wasn't what he said it was.

And I wanted those winning numbers this week as well.....

Personally I think it was what he said at the end. Sounds more likely.. either that or the whole things just a complete set-up with Camelot. Anyway, I attempted to summarise what he apparently did at http://benjisramblings.wordpress.com/2009/09/12/revelation/ - Don't go on it if you haven't already seen the show! This is for the benefit of the people that aren't going to watch it and want to know what happened.

Oh, I love Derren Brown! I saw him live in London a couple years ago & he was brillant! He does almost always tell people how he does the tricks (at least on his live shows he does). At the end of the show he goes through how he manipulates people into making the choices he wants them to, or how he predicts what they will say/do by their body language & reactions to the things he says/does.

I'm watching the show now. Can't wait to see how he did it!

I saw him live in glasgow and met him after the show he was brilliant! I've seen him twice!

post-188-127972301751_thumb.jpg

I didn't know he was gay, but then I don't really read about celebrities' lives.

He kind of gives me the creeps to look at him, but I find him fascinating.

I still don't know if I believe the "wisdom of the crowd" thing. If that was how he did it, we can all put it to the test! All we need to do is get a crowd of people, possibly your syndicate, and practise some concentration and automatic writing. Then everyone will be winning left, right and centre! I think it's worth a go, myself! :lol:

I don't believe what he said at the end, it was just another piece of misdirection.

Ridiculous though it might be, I just can't shake the suspicion that he actually does have some kind of psychic powers, and gives us complicated explanations of how he did the tricks to put people off the scent. I think he's a very clever man.

I'm looking forward to next week, where he's going to "glue people to their chairs" by the power of his mind. I want to see if he can do that to me!