Derren Brown

Michelle

Firstly, I'm surprised no one is discussing the lottery 'prediction' from last night. I didn't see it, but I've just been watching it online. The key, I think, is that he couldn't show us before the draw. His legal comment didn't make sense.. he wasn't showing the results, just predicting them.

So, any ideas as to the details? And do you think he'll really tell all on Friday?

Moving on from that, what else has he done, and does he often offer explanations?

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Firstly, I'm surprised no one is discussing the lottery 'prediction' from last night. I didn't see it, but I've just been watching it online. The key, I think, is that he couldn't show us before the draw. His legal comment didn't make sense.. he wasn't showing the results, just predicting them.

So, any ideas as to the details? And do you think he'll really tell all on Friday?

Moving on from that, what else has he done, and does he often offer explanations?

It was on last night? Urgh. I missed it. I only knew about it because of the rather annoying advertisement on my hotmail account.

I don't like him but I was hoping to get my winning lottery number for Saturday :D.

I will give it a watch tonight if it is on 'OnDemand'. You have made me want to watch it even more now Michelle.

I missed it too but he did one programme about being able to predict horseracing results but then when he told you how he had done that it was all fake! For the horseracing one he had like a triangle-type system with lots of people involved but the people didn't know about each other, so every horse in each race had somebody's money on it and then it went on and on down the triangle until the last race where there were five horses but also five people - one on each horse - so obviously somebody had to win!

But i might have to look at the lottery one on the internet too tonight - i'm sure there must be some trick to it like there was with the horseracing predictions - if he could predict the lottery numbers every week he wouldn't bother going on tour and making tv shows etc etc he could just win the lottery when he felt like it!

Camelot said in a statement. "It is impossible to affect the outcome of the draw and Derren Brown is not suggesting he is doing this. Derren Brown is an illusionist creating an illusion that he can predict the numbers."

It's just trying to work out how he did the illusion!

If you watch it though, he's a very good showman.. and it's gotten him lots of attention!

He's fantastic. And I've seen loads of explanations of how he does things, so I imagine he will show us on Friday.

Two of the best I've seen by him were where he convinced a group of people he was a medium, and another where he made people give him certain (incorrect) answers to questions they should have been able to answer, just with the power of suggestion in his wording and enviornment.

It was only on for about 10 minutes, but I saw it! He correctly predicted all six numbers, which was impressive. I'm going to watch on Friday to see how he did it. It's got to be some kind of illusion as otherwise he would win every week and be extremely rich. Or maybe he already does and opts for "no publicity"! :D

I find his shows very interesting, but he does give me the creeps to look at him.

He did say something about years of working out numbers and things - maybe he discovered a pattern.

ETA: Yes, at the end he says 'heres a year of my life right here' when talking about his prediction, so I reckon he recorded all the numbers for a year, found a pattern, and guessed based on that.

Edited by Nollaig

I saw it and have been discussing it with anyone that would listen, today. It's an interesting one.. I think that to actually work out a theory for the numbers, is impossible and being an illusionist it is likely that he his just working on deception. There must be some way of the numbers being transferred onto the 6 little balls at the front in the few seconds delay between the live results and the revealing of his 6 predicted numbers.

My theory is that there was some form of laser that was feeding straight into the live results through a computer (note the pipes behind him on the 'secret set' he was filming on..) I don't claim to be an expert on things like this but I imagine there is 'some' way the numbers were transferred onto the balls while he was writing the numbers down and walking across to them. Also I think a false wall idea is also very likely. The key being, like Michelle mentioned, that he couldn't reveal the balls before we saw the results..

What I will say is this. I think he'll provide a perfectly simple explanation to how he performed this illusion. Note my use of the word illusion, not prediction as I don't believe that he has spent a year of his life working out 'patterns' for the numbers. However, I do think that his execution in what he does is second to none. He's excellent at being a showman an this is what makes his trick interesting. Also, though I found out that he was actually banned from buying a lottery ticket from Camelot (the lottery people). Obviously this could just be to add to the hype but it's likely that all the rumours of him actually knowing the real numbers built up so much that it caused that.

What's even more interesting, is his advert for his TV series 'The Events', where it seems he is talking in a different language or gobbledegook. You can see the original

As you can see, when the video is reversed,
, things become much more interesting. Derren leaves a lot of clues to what his 'Events' are going to be about. You can see some of the things shown in the video on Google, telling us about a number of things and it's all very interesting.

One things for certain, I'll be tuning in to the rest of the series. :D

Yes Roxi, but how exactly we still don't know.. I do hope he'll tell. I'm going with a false screen / split screen idea now but it really doesn't seem his style. I really hope he'll explain or I'll be disappointed. Apparently for his next one he's working on the art of subliminal messages and wants the nation to get involved in a 'social experiment'. It has been reported that some footage maybe expected to be removed from the broadcast as it's 'dangerous'. - I can't honestly see this. He's not going to put us all under a spell through hypnosis through the TV really now, is he..

He's not going to put us all under a spell through hypnosis through the TV really now, is he..

Apparently one of the things he'll do will have a large percentage of viewers almost literally glued to their seats - they will find themselves completely unable to move! I'm dying to see it!

Apparently one of the things he'll do will have a large percentage of viewers almost literally glued to their seats - they will find themselves completely unable to move! I'm dying to see it!

I know but it seems extremely unlikely doesn't it?

By the way I've made a couple of blog posts about all this if anyone's interested.. http://benjisramblings.wordpress.com :blush:

Edited by Ben

I have tickets to see him next April :blush: Only a few rows from the front as well...I think it will be a fab show.

I think he is amazing. What I like is that he does not believe in psychic ability or magic. In his book, Tricks of the Mind, he debunks a lot of what mediums and psychics do, and shows how they pull it off and create various illusions etc.

EDIT: Have you ever seen any of his art? He's brilliant at that too!

http://derrenbrownart.com/

Edited by Ruth