Comfort Reads

Katrina1968

I love fall, it is by far my favorite season. I love turning on the fireplace and grabbing a hot drink. It is pure heaven. I grab my Montreal Canadiens blanket and during these colder months (the majority of months in Canada :lol:) I tend to read classics and murder mysteries.

Seems to me that my books are centered during the autumn winter months and it also appears that I'm spending alot more time in the U.K. (never been there but in my mind!).

I'm debating about whether or not I want to pick up anymore Alexander Mccall Smith books. I read his 44 Scotland series but they really seemed to fizzle about book 3.

When I'm in need of serious comfort (like when my illness is playing up) I love to snuggle up and read some of my childhood favourites. It somehow just gives me reassurance. Like Enid Blyton's books :D I also simply adore it when the weather turns, and the nights are drawing in. I like to wrap up warm with a cup of coffee and read a seasonal or festive book :D nothing like it!

I don't think I have any particular favourites for the seasons, but I do like reading winter stories/christmas stories in December :D

I like to wrap up warm with a cup of coffee and read a seasonal or festive book nothing like it!

2 mentions of christmas/festive reads......is there a forum thread for this I wonder? There's a good festive chapter in The Pickwick Papers......

well blithe if your'e into that sort of thing have you read any Ian rankin books? he wrote rebus books?

they're great!

Yes, I've read The Black Book and A Question of Blood (missed a few in between!) and enjoyed both. I have the last three Rebus novels on my buying list and I should probably check out the older books too.

I read to relax and switch off sometimes and i get very lonely and have not many friends so i go to library to read:smile2:

I go the library quite often but I rarely stay there. People queue to get onto the computers in my library and then they sit around on facebook. It annoys me for some reason :D

• 2 years later...

What I mean is are there any authors or books you go straight to when you're having a bad time and need something to perk you up?

I find when I'm stressed or upset I go back to my True Blood series. I find them a great escape from whatever's going on in life.