Val McDermid

Maureen

I am sure I have recommended this author before, but to my amazement we have never opened a thread for her yet.

Val McDermid is a Scottish writer, and all of her books I have read are based in the UK. (Which is cool, as at least I know where some of them are based :D and it helps with the mental images :D )

The first book I read was called 'A place of Execution' and it took me totally by surprise. It was a really good thriller, full of suspense and twists, which kept me guessing up to the final pages. I have since read more of her books, and liked them all. She has stand alones (including A place of execution), a series featuring Tony Hill - a clinical psychologist and Detective Chief Inspector Carol Jordan, who have an ongoing 'special, but strange' relationship, a series featuring a Manchester PI, called Kate Brannigan, (Probably I prefer Tony Hill & Carol Jordan, if I had to choose), and another featuring Journalist Lindsay Gordon - which I have never read yet.

I'm sure a lot of people here will enjoy her books - I do. :blush:

I am sure I have recommended this author before, but to my amazement we have never opened a thread for her yet.

Val McDermid is a Scottish writer, and all of her books I have read are based in the UK. (Which is cool, as at least I know where some of them are based :D and it helps with the mental images :D )

The first book I read was called 'A place of Execution' and it took me totally by surprise. It was a really good thriller, full of suspense and twists, which kept me guessing up to the final pages. I have since read more of her books, and liked them all. She has stand alones (including A place of execution), a series featuring Tony Hill - a clinical psychologist and Detective Chief Inspector Carol Jordan, who have an ongoing 'special, but strange' relationship, a series featuring a Manchester PI, called Kate Brannigan, (Probably I prefer Tony Hill & Carol Jordan, if I had to choose), and another featuring Journalist Lindsay Gordon - which I have never read yet.

I'm sure a lot of people here will enjoy her books - I do. :blush:

wow I was sure there was a thread about her. One of my favourite authors. I love the Tony Hill series. I am actually going to by the new Hill Book at the weekend.

I first got into her by getting a half price book in WHSmith it was Wire in the blood and mermaid Sings. I was fortunate to read them before the series Came on TV.

I read beneath the bleeding about a month ago and really enjoyed it and got me ready for the new one.

wow I was sure there was a thread about her. One of my favourite authors. I love the Tony Hill series. I am actually going to by the new Hill Book at the weekend.

I first got into her by getting a half price book in WHSmith it was Wire in the blood and mermaid Sings. I was fortunate to read them before the series Came on TV.

I read beneath the bleeding about a month ago and really enjoyed it and got me ready for the new one.

Mermaid Sings was my first McDermid read too about what 12 years ago the Telegraph were selling paperbacks off quite reasonably (Im not a Telegraph reader btw lol) but did for a while just to get the book offer.........I was hooked after that! I too read Wire in the Blood before they televised it though and as much as I like Robson Green the book was far better :D

Mermaid Sings was my first McDermid read too about what 12 years ago the Telegraph were selling paperbacks off quite reasonably (Im not a Telegraph reader btw lol) but did for a while just to get the book offer.........I was hooked after that! I too read Wire in the Blood before they televised it though and as much as I like Robson Green the book was far better :D

Yeah I loved Robson as Tony. He does seem to capture Tony's quirks.

I am currently reading Beneath the Bleeding. It's really great!! I've started it on Monday, and I've already read more than half.

It is a good book. I stopped reading her for a while and had Beneath the bleeding for ages on my TBR pile. I was not that interested after reading the Blurb. But it did not let me down. Loads of twists and turns. Awesome ending!

Oh and I love the Tony's Mother storyline.

Look forward to hearing what you think.

CW

Oh, I am subscribing to this thread since catwoman introduced me to this author yesterday. Thanks hun :D

No worries. If you look on FantasticFiction you will get the list of all her books.

Personally I would start with The Mermaids Singing and then The wire in the blood. Thats if you want to read the Tony Hill series. Which I think is far the best series.

Does anyone else agree?

I can't remember what my first McDermid book was but I do remember I got it free with a magazine about 12 years ago. Since then I've read everything she's written! My favourite series is of course Tony Hill & Carol Jordan but I've never watched the tv version as I think Robson Green would ruin the Tony Hill I have in my head :D

I can't remember what my first McDermid book was but I do remember I got it free with a magazine about 12 years ago. Since then I've read everything she's written! My favourite series is of course Tony Hill & Carol Jordan but I've never watched the tv version as I think Robson Green would ruin the Tony Hill I have in my head :D

He kind of does. He plays Tony really well that I now think of him when reading books. Even though I had my own picture of Tony before the TV show.

But there are other characters where I don't think of them. Like Morgan freeman? I think he played Alex Cross in Along came a spider. I have kept to my own ideal of Alex.

Sorry slightly off Topic.

• 1 month later...

How have I managed to miss this thread? :D

I love Val McDermid! (I even get her newsletter, and visit her website often).

I have 'A Darker Domain' on my TBR pile, and can't wait to get the paperback of 'Fever Of The Bone' - her Tony Hill / Carol Jordan books are must reads.

• 2 weeks later...

I've just realised that some of the episodes of the TV series Wire in the Blood are based on Val McDermid's books. Not that I've watched the series, I tried once but I didn't like it for some reason. But now I think I'm keen to try Val McDermid at some point since catwoman and Chrissy have read them, we seem to like the same crime books :D

She has written both stand alone novels, and books that are part of a series. The best thing would probably be to visit somewhere like fantasticfiction where the books are shown in their correct order for the series, and shows the individual stand alones. :D

Hope that helps. She is another fave author of mine, so I hope you enjoy.

• 1 month later...

I have read most of her books and have loved them all. My two favorite series of hers are the Tony Hill ones and Kate Brannigan. I have also read the Lindsay Gordon ones but didn't enjoy them as much. I also love her stand alones. I can't wait to read the new Tony Hill book! She is one of the best authors and I always suggest to friends that they should read her books!!

• 3 weeks later...
He kind of does. He plays Tony really well that I now think of him when reading books. Even though I had my own picture of Tony before the TV show.

But there are other characters where I don't think of them. Like Morgan freeman? I think he played Alex Cross in Along came a spider. I have kept to my own ideal of Alex.

Sorry slightly off Topic.

On topic on the off topic.....I was watching a Val Mcdermid interview and she said that now when she writes Tony Hill she imagines Robson Green.

I've read a few of her books now particularly the Tony Hill series, and I haven't read them in any sort of order.

A Grave Tattoo is next on my list after I've finished Fever of the Bone. I'm only a chapter in but the call of it will make sure I head off for an early night.

I've never actually read any of her books!

Are there any that I should read in particular? Any recommendations?

I usually start reading books then find out from someone that I should have read about 10 books before the one I'm reading!

On topic on the off topic.....I was watching a Val Mcdermid interview and she said that now when she writes Tony Hill she imagines Robson Green.

I've read a few of her books now particularly the Tony Hill series, and I haven't read them in any sort of order.

A Grave Tattoo is next on my list after I've finished Fever of the Bone. I'm only a chapter in but the call of it will make sure I head off for an early night.

Does she really? Wow that is interesting, how something that you have born and in many ways brought up, totally manifests into something else. Thanks for that info Coffin Nail.

As for the Fever of the Bone, I have just finished it, that must be quite hard a book for you as I found it was like a follow on to the last book. Was a good book, but felt it was not up there with her bests.

I've never actually read any of her books!

Are there any that I should read in particular? Any recommendations?

I usually start reading books then find out from someone that I should have read about 10 books before the one I'm reading!

I personally as I am a read them in order freak, is to start them form the beginning, there are a few where there is no need. But I would say that the last one (Fever of the bone) would need to be read after Beneath the Bleeding.

If you read them in order I find that you get a more rounded and better perspective of the two main characters which are very complex. Two of my best characters in any book, by any author.

I've been digging around and I actually own 'Wire in the Blood'. I got it in 2006, the reason I know this is that the receipt from Borders is in the front of the book!

I actually remember buying it as it was