Do you pick up unknown authors?

tdaonp

I know myself as a 'safe' reader. I buy books by authors I either know or that come recommended to me by people who's preference I trust. I feel this makes my progression in the world of books a slow one. Even though I own a lot of books, the amount of different authors is relatively low.

Are you braver than me and do you pick up books by unknown authors? And what decides you to buy it?

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

A very interesting question! I also consider myself a 'safe' reader who most often borrows/buys books from authors I've enjoyed before, and sometimes try new authors but only if they've been recommended to me by someone I know has good taste. Sometimes I try to branch out and read books that haven't been recommended to me especially, but have been given great reviews here.

The biggest reasons for me why I don't try out more unknown authors is that my mount TBR is so huge that I just don't have the time or the will to try out something different. When I was younger and didn't have a TBR list I sometimes picked out random books in the library and read the back cover and read the ones that sounded interesting.

I do think that every once in a while it would benefit each and every one of us to come out of our own comfortzone and try out something completely different :D

Too right I do, how I got myself into the mess I'm in now.:lol:

I've found some gems by reading authors I don't know. You really are missing out. You don't even have to pay for them - go to your local library. Recommendations are usually best sellers, I don't know what it is, but I've been frequently disappointed by books recommended to me and best sellers are soooo production line.:D

It depends.

Firstly when browsing I'll look for authors that I know I have enjoyed in the past and play it safe that way. Then I'll go on recommendations from here or from people that I know and trust their judgement. Then if I'm browsing for new authors I'll look at the blurb / cover, etc. And I'll make up my own mind.

I ocassionally browse Amazon via 'if you like this, you might also like' and have seen a few I want to get based on what I've read there. But that is usually also influenced by how many stars a book has gotten etc, so I don't know if that counts.

I can easily read outside my normal range by reading through the threads on here and picking up something someone says is great, even if I'm not sure it's my thing.So it's cool.

Yeah I do - if it has a good sounding title and an attractive cover - then an interesting blurb I'm there! I love finding new authors :D

Ditto to what you said. Especially if I'm in a sale section, I will look at the cover and the blurb and decide, and they're nearly always new authors :lol:

I do, but only if they're in a shop so I can read the first few pages. :D I'm far less likely to do so from a website without getting a feel for it first.

I've found some good ones - the Salem one that I keep going on about was an unknown author/impulse purchase is a good example - and I loved it. The one I'm reading now is an unknown (to me) author too.

Right now, I'm in the state where I pick up classic books or books that are generally regarded as great books. Or if I've read something else from the writer and like it, I'll try more of his works. It's just that there are so many books in a bookstore, that it's better to know what are you looking for and not search random. Besides, one can't buy endless books, he has to choose which he prefers to try.

I am a very "unsafe" reader. My modus operandi is this: enter the bookshop, go to "Fiction: A" and scan every spine until I get to "Fiction: Z".

I'll pick up interesting titles, if I like the look of the cover I'll read the blurb, if the blurb grabs me I'll read the mini-reviews on the first few pages, if it's commended by authors I trust or sensible publications (i.e. The London Review of Books rather than The Daily Mail) I'll read a few sentences, if those inspire I'll buy.

I've discovered Jasper Fforde with this method, and many other now-favourited authors besides... I recommend it.

Yes, either through recommendation (here!), because I like the look of the book, the name of the author or book, because a book reaches out to me in some way. Sometimes it's because I have some spare cash on me, a bookish urge and a close to hand book shop / charity shop.

I have found some of my favourite authors through delving and daring. It's always worth a try! :D

I buy loads of books from unknowns - after all, we all have to start somewhere and I am old enough and wise enough to know that a first novel is very rarely what it says - but more often a third or even fourth one, the previous ones not having been actually published. It takes many years after all to perfect this craft and for most writers several attempts at writing before publication is achieved. Even JK Rowling had to start somewhere.

The bottom line for me is that if the book looks and sounds interesting and is the right price, then I will buy it. It doesn't matter who wrote it or how famous or well known they are - the writing is all counts.

Sure! If the synopsis sounds good or it's been recommended then I'll usually give it a go :lol:

Like Talisman says, every author has to start somewhere and if we only stick to the authors we know then we won't get a lot of variety.

For full priced books i tend to pick up authors i know and love with the exception of books garnering rave reviews. But I always pick up random authors from the bargain section. Its a nice way to meet new authors and their style of writing without making a huge dent in your wallet :lol:

I read books by authors I've never heard of. The last unknown author (to me) I read was Jill Ciment and it was a great book (Heroic Measures). When you read a lot of books I suppose you will come across people that you don't know from Adam, but that makes it fun.

I love exploring new authors it is exciting, I am constantly on the look out for new ones to add to my collection. :lol: My boyfriend is the opposite at the moment he likes to stick to one author and read all they have, atm it is Stephen King and he said he hopes to find another author once he is finished with King to do that same thing, each to their own as long as they enjoy what they read. :D

Edited by chrysalis_stage