Abby's Reading Log (started 2009)

AbielleRose

Yeah, I like Starbucks better too. We have Caribou all over here but I agree with you about the syrup, and they're even more expensive sometimes than Starbucks so why bother? Plus, Starbucks has a rewards program so they clearly rule :).

When I lived in the cities my apt was across from this cute little coffee place called the Urban Bean. They had the best danish there! Do you guys have those or Dunn Bros coffee in SF?

• Replies 343
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Not that I know of. I have had Dunn Bros in the cities though! Danish...mmm.... those are so delish! My favourite coffee place in town (better than Starbucks even) is this new coffee/wine bar (yes, a coffee shop that serves wine!) called Coffea. They use organic products and support as many South Dakota grown products as possible. They also draw little pictures in your coffee foam! The coffee is to die for.

You can go in, get your coffee, sit by a fireplace for a bit, listen to some live music, do some wine tasting and hang with friends all in one blissful coffee chic little shop :)

That place sounds so cute, Abby! I'll have to check it out next time I'm out there. Is it downtown? I think my mom would like it too so I'll have to tell her about it - she'll be there in June for an all-year Washington High School reunion :).

No, it's on Louise right by Johnny Carino's. Ooh, that sounds like fun for her! Hopefully she will get a chance to check it out. :) You really do need to come for a visit sometime, so much has changed in this town in the last 5 years I've lived here. Its growing like you wouldn't believe because people have been broadcasting Sioux Falls as the number 1 city in the nation to find a job. Pepole are just flocking here from left and right, its crazy! (Tell your mom to avoid 41st street, they took out the bridge over the Big Sioux and it won't be done until Augustish. 41st is a crazy mess!)

Have you gotten to see the Twin's new home yet?

You'll be proud to know that I am getting some good reading in this evening, frankie... though I also just bought 4 new books... Oops...

Ooops indeed, very contradictive statements right there :D But I've seen the titles that you bought and I'm very happy with them :)Water for Elephants is supposed to be really great, The Alchemist is one of those must-read-to-see-what-the-fuzz-is-all-about -books and you needed to buy a new copy of Wicked because you need to reread the book. Columbine should be interesting too, in a way, that was a really horrible tragedy as well as all the other school shootings.

And how did you not notice the Boarders??

I disliked The Alchemist but loved Water for Elephants. I have also moved Wicked nearer the top of my TBR pile because I want to see the musical soon but I can't until I've read the book! :)

And how on earth did you miss seeing Borders? :) Our Borders stores are always over three levels. Is yours big too?

Over three levels?? They must be huge! The biggest bookstore in Finland is in three levels but it's beginning to sound very small...

I disliked The Alchemist as well, I certainly didn't understand all the hype the book had gotten.

We should read Wicked for the Rory Gilmore challenge soon, since you both want to read it soon and I want to cross it off my list as well.

Sounds like you made a haul though! I need to try reading Wicked one day. I've only read one Gregory Maguire and I'm sorry, but I hated it :D. I think it was Confessions of an Ugly Stepsister.

Peace you should join us in reading Wicked?? Too bad you didn't like Confessions, why was is so awful for you? That's on my wishlist ;)

We should read Wicked for the Rory Gilmore challenge soon, since you both want to read it soon and I want to cross it off my list as well.

I didn't even realise it was on the list. :)

Ooops! It's even on the list of books that we all agreed on reading together at one point. ;)

I'd be up for that!

I was so excited about the books that I ended up falling asleep with them all on my bed next to me tonight. :) It's 3:40am here now and I just woke up surrounded by books! Bliss or slightly obsessed? :D

:) Pretty much. Sleep? Who needs sleep? BCF is my homepage so whenever I open up my computer it just happens to pop up when I open the browser.

How about you? You're on at some pretty crazy times yourself!

:D Pretty much. Sleep? Who needs sleep? BCF is my homepage so whenever I open up my computer it just happens to pop up when I open the browser.

How about you? You're on at some pretty crazy times yourself!

Yeah I work nights. Often I am at work when I post up. But after 7 years of that I never seem to sleep more than 4 hours at a time no matter how tired I am. It is a real pain. Sleep either comes when I don't want it to and I can't stay awake or I cannot sleep when I should be. :)

I'd be up for that!

I was so excited about the books that I ended up falling asleep with them all on my bed next to me tonight. :D It's 3:40am here now and I just woke up surrounded by books! Bliss or slightly obsessed? ;)

:) Bliss, definitely! I bet I sleep with a book in my arms a lot more often than with BF :)

Vodkafan, that sounds really exhausting :D

Sorry I had to ditch last night, Abby, I was nodding off sitting here and I'm up now since I have to be to work at 7, ugh. That sucks about some of your guys' sleeping habits though - that's one thing I don't have an issue with I guess.

Anyway! I need to go back and dissect why I hated Stepsister so, Frankie. It was about 5 yrs ago that I read it! I wouldn't mind trying Wicked though, if I can squeeze it in by the time you guys read it :).

Thanks for the tips about 41st, Abby! I'll let my mom know to avoid it and will myself if I get there this summer. I know I'd move to SF because of the low taxes alone, but I do love being this close to Minneapolis. I haven't been inside the new stadium, but I've driven by it plenty. It looks so pretty! I can't wait until Monday night and the official home opening game :D.

Eh, sleep is overrated. We'll all sleep when we die, its time to live today! Carpe diem! :) (You'll get the refrence after you watch Dead Poets Society, frankie)

Let's hope the Twins do well this season and that the new home and Mauer's outrageous contract will bring them luck and help them win the World Series!

Vodkafan, that sounds really exhausting :D

Yes it is. You get to be one of the Undead after a while. For instance now I am going to go to bed for an hour or so because I am working tonight. But I may or may not be able to sleep. If I don't sleep then I will be really tired at work, which is horrible. :)

Ooops! It's even on the list of books that we all agreed on reading together at one point. :)

:D I have such a bad memory! ;)

I was so excited about the books that I ended up falling asleep with them all on my bed next to me tonight. :) It's 3:40am here now and I just woke up surrounded by books! Bliss or slightly obsessed?

That's lovely Abby! I should take some books to bed with me. I bet I would wake up happy every morning. :D

BCF is my homepage so whenever I open up my computer it just happens to pop up when I open the browser.

I love that you're always around to chat to during my workday! :)

:) I hope you were able to get some good quality sleep today, vodkafan. Have you ever considered taking sleeping aids or anything?

It is kind of nice to wake up surrounded by books (I LOVE the smell) but kind of a pain in the bum when you wake up with one under your pillow or poking into your chest. They are a bit hard and pointy, not suitable for a comfortable snooze :D I love how my evenings are your days because I'm able to be on most in the evenings. It works out perfectly!

Did you guys want to consider doing Wicked for May?

If I can get a hold of a copy of Wicked, then yes, May is alright with me. I'm not going to buy the book because I have this feeling I'm not going to like it so I'm just going to try and borrow it from the library.

Abby, do you remember that at some point we discussed that we would read LotR during April? :) I don't know about you but I might not have the time for it... What do you think?

Sounds good to me, just let me know :)

Yeah, I agree. I need to finish Heresy and I would like to get in The Alchemist and Pride and Prejudice and Zombies yet this month so maybe we could do LotR in May or June? Are we going to start with the Hobbit and then go throught he trilogy or do you just want to do the trilogy?

Sounds good to me, just let me know :)

Yeah, I agree. I need to finish Heresy and I would like to get in The Alchemist and Pride and Prejudice and Zombies yet this month so maybe we could do LotR in May or June? Are we going to start with the Hobbit and then go throught he trilogy or do you just want to do the trilogy?

Personally I'd like to read the trilogy first, and if I'm into it, then read the other related books. Let's wait till May or June and then see where we're at readingwise :D

I'm gonna go and tell the others that we're planning on reading Wicked at some point this month.

Personally I'd like to read the trilogy first, and if I'm into it, then read the other related books. Let's wait till May or June and then see where we're at readingwise :)

I'm gonna go and tell the others that we're planning on reading Wicked at some point this month.

Kk, that all sounds good to me :D

I'm so glad you're enjoying it so far! The prologue was fantastic, Parris really does know how to grab the reader and pull them into Bruno's world. I love how even in a setting that is utterly serious and Bruno can break out with a random little sentence that will make me giggle. :lol:

I wouldn't be surprised if we saw this one really blow up or even make it to the big screen in the future. Best book I've read in a long time.

One of my favourite quotes from chapter 1 is:

"I was not afraid to die for my beliefs, but not until I had determined which beliefs were worth dying for."

I've taken to keeping a little notebook with me while I read it because there are so many great quotes like that that cause the reader to have one of those 'damn that was a great line' revelations and think about them for a while even after putting the book down.

Small update, now read up to chapter four, and it just gets better. The historical detail is fascinating and the various themes that get explored are well done. Agree about the humour, many of Bruno's comments are very amusing. Back to reading it now .....:lol:

How far have you read Abby?

Edited by sirinrob