Abby's Reading Log (started 2009)

AbielleRose

The Shining is a great novel. Funnily enough, it was the first of this genre that I ever read. I was a mere babe of 13 (mum frowned on sweary scary books until I was an angst-ridden teen). I never looked back.

Prior to this pivotal moment, I'd read LOTR and that sort of stuff, THGTTG and a series of books called The Dark Is Rising by an author called...erm...oh, yeah, Susan Cooper. I adored these books. Hast tha read'em, Girt? :smile2:

Wow, 13?! You must be really into the thriller/horror genra. I've only recently gotten into it myself and am loving it.

I've never heard of Susan Cooper before, I'll have to check her out. As for LOTR, I tried to read them but just couldn't. They are my dad's favorite books so I grew up with him mentioning them frequently. Eventually I'll probably try them again. :D

• Replies 343
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yeah, I quite liked it way back when, but sort of grew out of it a little. I still enjoy the occasional James Herbert and King, but anything gratuitous or overtly macabre just seems to turn me right off.

Susan Cooper's stuff is for teens/young adults, I think - and I wonder if it would stand up to my ageing mind. Maybe I shouldn't revisit them, for fear of ddestroying some very happy memories?

Susan Cooper's stuff is for teens/young adults, I think - and I wonder if it would stand up to my ageing mind. Maybe I shouldn't revisit them, for fear of ddestroying some very happy memories?
My mother/sister's copy at home as been read so many times an entirely new cover had to be made for it our of brown packaging paper - doesn't sound like the kind of book you grow out of, somehow :hug:!

Wow, 13?! You must be really into the thriller/horror genra.
I first read Steven King and Cristopher Pike at 11, Anne Rice in my mid-teens, nothing could scare me then... I'm much jumpier now than I was when I was little :D either that, or modern horror is just too in-your-face for my taste; I love stuff like the early King because they messed with your mind.

As for LOTR, I tried to read them but just couldn't. They are my dad's favorite books so I grew up with him mentioning them frequently. Eventually I'll probably try them again.
Please, please do! A lot of people have told me they found it difficult to get into because it's just so vast and detailed, but it is precisely because it's so vast and detailed that there's so much reward awaiting the patient reader :smile2:!

I don't think you would destroy your happy memories of them at all. A good book is always comfort food for your soul, no matter your age or the time that has passed since your last 'meal'.

I first read Steven King and Cristopher Pike at 11, Anne Rice in my mid-teens, nothing could scare me then... I'm much jumpier now than I was when I was little :D either that, or modern horror is just too in-your-face for my taste; I love stuff like the early King because they messed with your mind.

Please, please do! A lot of people have told me they found it difficult to get into because it's just so vast and detailed, but it is precisely because it's so vast and detailed that there's so much reward awaiting the patient reader :smile2:!

Wow, you're good! At that age I think I was still reading The Babysitter's Club and Lurlene McDaniel books!

I may have to put them on my list. The movies are among my all time favorites. :hug: Have you read any of Tolkien's other books?

I only had The Hobbit read out to me back in the days when I could understand but not read English :D I fully intend to read it properly though, and want to try my hand at some Simarillion soon! I'm also interested in reading Tolkien's letters, he sounds like he was a really fascinating bloke.

Though I've never been able to complete reading one of his books I have always found it very interesting that J.R.R. Tolkien and C.S. Lewis were close friends in real life. Can you just imagine two of the greatest literary minds this world has seen playing ideas off each other?

I will definately give them another go. What would be the point of reading if we didn't challenge ourselves and push our own limits from time to time?

I remember reading somewhere that Tolkien actually didn't like Lewis' Narnia series because he thought the allegorical comparisons were too obvious. He prefered more subtlety in his writing.

Its just so mind boggling thinking of how those two great works were born!

Oh my goodness, you've caught the Rory's Booklist bug!! :):lol: Nice!! That list is kind of long so I do think that it's easiest not to put a deadline on it. Can't wait to see your progress. Are you going to somehow mark those books that you've already read off the list?

Here's an idea: if you and Kylie and others reading the Rory list wouldn't mind, maybe we could sometime decide on a particular Rory book which we could all read at the same time? :D

Edited by frankie

Kylie, awesome!! :lol:

Kylie, have you noticed that CaliLily has copy+pasted the shorter list of the two "main" Rory Lists? Do you want to tell her about Shonali's longer list, or should I? :) Do you think she'll be happy to learn there's more?

Well, that's true as well :) For me it was a bit of a dramatic moment, because having gone with the shorter list for ages it felt like I'm never going to be able to finish this one. And the manual adding of the titles gave it all a gloomy vibe. But you're right Kylie.

Kylie, awesome!! :D

Kylie, have you noticed that CaliLily has copy+pasted the shorter list of the two "main" Rory Lists? Do you want to tell her about Shonali's longer list, or should I? :lol: Do you think she'll be happy to learn there's more?

More? More? *bounces up and down in squeaky desk chair* More? *Looses balance and falls out of chair and onto the floor* :)

Should we do some sort of "Rory's Booklist Challange" thing and choose a book a month from the master extended list? Or what do y'all think would be a good way to do this?

I sure hope that was happy bouncing Cali :) I hope your bottom area wasn't hurt in the process!

Personally a book a month would be too often for me, if the reading timetables are too fixed for me I get a little anxious, even if the reading is just for fun. I suggest we do a book every now and then when we all have the time and inclination. Or if you two would feel more comfortable knowing ahead when the next book is up maybe we could do a book every two months?

:)

Honestly, I don't know if I could participate in a monthly discussion because I have so many books on my TBR pile for different challenges, but I would definitely participate whenever I could.

Happy happy joy joy!! :D Although going to an actual bookshop and feeling the books (not in a perverted way!) is truly enjoyable, there's nothing like clickety clicking online, getting the books at a cheaper price, and getting them delivered straight home / to the post office. It's one of the best feelings in life, getting a book package in the mail :lol:

Are you a Ren and Stimpy fan, Frankie?

I agree. I love browsing bookstores and holding the books in my hand, and then carrying it protectively around with me afterwards. And I also love the instant gratification of ordering a book online and the building up of excitement as you wait for it to be delivered. :lol: