Strange Names!

One of my old buddies was writing a novel when I knew him (I wonder if he ever finished it?) & his hero was originally called Ezekial Catfruit. He eventually changed it to Jonathan Catfruit. We loved it so much that we named the band after him (just the last name - LOL!)

• 11 months later...

In 'Abarat' by Clive Barker, the main character is called 'Candy Quackenbush' and her friend is called 'John Mischief'. :)

• 9 months later...

In the book I'm reading at the moment (Harlan Coben's The Innocent) there is a name so ridiculously stupid and unlikely that it actually jars me out of the story each time I see it - Cingle Shaker. This is a female, btw, in case you can't tell from the name! :irked: What possessed him? ;)

In Aunt Julia & The Scriptwriter there are two policeman characters and one is called: Apple Dumpling Arevalo and the other is Snotnose Camacho!

I queried these names with a Spanish friend who said that is not what the names are if its read in Spanish!

Didnt like the book much but those names made me laugh.

The was a family who went to our church whose last name was Person. Their daughters were Jolly and Merry. What hard names to live up to! ;)

No, she's a private investigator. I think you're thinking of Esperanza (also known in her wrestling days as Little Pocahontas, I think!) from Coben's Myron Bolitar novels?

No, she's a private investigator. I think you're thinking of Esperanza (also known in her wrestling days as Little Pocahontas, I think!) from Coben's Myron Bolitar novels?

You're half right ;) I am getting mixed up with the Myron Bolitar novels but it's Esperanza friend I'm getting mixed up with, the one that she used to wrestle with. Maybe her name is something like Big Cindy

I always liked the name "Maninae"!!! From the Pellinor books. Heehee it makes me laugh cuz whenever I read it I sing it to that Galileo tune "maninae, maninae, maninae, maninae" *laughs*

There's a few in the Pellinor books. "Saliman" looks okay on the page, but try saying it out loud! It sounds really weird! "Maerad" - cool name, spelt oddly. It's pronounced "My-rad"