The Chocolate Run by Dorothy Koomson

the-chocolate-run.jpg

Synopsis from Amazon:

Amber Salpone thinks in chocolate - talk to her for three minutes and she'll tell you what kind of chocolate you'd be. In fact, most days, if she was asked to choose between chocolate and relationships,there'd be no contest. At least chocolate has never let her down. Unlike her family. Growing up in the Salpone household has taught Amber to avoid conflict - and love - at all costs. So, when she does the unthinkable and has a one-night stand with womaniser Greg Walterson , her uncomplicated, chocolate-flavoured life goes into meltdown. Especially when Greg announces she's the love of his life - and Amber finds it hard enough to decide if she wants plain or Fruit & Nut ...Meanwhile, her best friend, Jen, seems to be launching a bid to become Bitch Of The Year and Amber's family are making unreasonable demands. Amber has two choices: to deal with her past and the people around her, or to go on a chocolate run and keep on running ...

Amber is not a chocoholic - if you ask her - she is just a chocolate sniffer, needs chocolate to think, and compares everyone to chocolate. It is her constant in life, her safety net. But running for chocolate is not going to help her this time. She has been off relationships for 18 months, and has loved it. Yet she is falling for Greg, the womaniser. As she pursues this line she realises that her best friend is being turned into skinny, selfish, horrid person, who Amber doesn't know, or want to know. The some dark secrets come out - not only does Amber have to confront her childhood fears, but she must make choices about friends and lovers.

I really enjoyed this book. This is the second book by Koomson I have read and liked it so much I have bought a third novel. Koomson is a great writer. She is exciting and gripping. I didn't want to put the book down. The story flows easily off the page and incredibly readable.

I loved the characters. Koomson writes in a way that you feel how Amber feels - so when she was sad you were too; when her heart broke, so did yours. I really liked Renee and Martha her work colleagues - they were funny but good people - great friends to have around.

This is chick-lit, but anyone who likes a good story of friendship, love and family should read this book.

9/10

I knew this book sounded familiar when someone mentioned it in the book activity thread! I've read it, too. I thought it was quite entertaining. I don't usually read chicklit, but I love chocolate, so I thought I'd give it a go. :motz: It was very funny, quite sad, and a good read overall.

• 2 weeks later...

I have it on my bookmooch if anyone has one of those...I did consider putting it as a bookring but I only tend to do that when I'm particully interested to hearing others thoughts, or want to share something great