Library fan nears 25,000th book

Raven

Well done to her, if I can read 12 books a week at 91 I shall be very happy :lol:

I'd be happy with being able to read anything if I get to 91!

Erotic novels.

(You can wipe that drink off your monitor now!).

ROFLMAO Raven :lol:

I'm struggling to read 1 book a month at the moment so hats off to her.

There's potential to learn from anything & everything even if it's not consciously. Learning isn't restricted to education. You can learn from crime novels & Mills & Boon. I don't necessarily mean learning some fact or scientific piece of knowledge, more an awareness & insight into different ways of life, different worlds & experiences.

I agree that there is indeed potential to learn from anything, and I also agree that learning from reading can be about awareness and insight as well as the immediate fact based learning. However, not everyone reads to achieve this, either consciously or subconsciously.

Reading should be about immersing yourself completely in these worlds, but such a lot of focus is put upon how quickly people can finish books & how many books they have read. To me that's far from the point.

Reading should not be about anything. The joy of reading is that, on the whole, the relationship is between the reader and the book, and that relationship can be whatever the reader wants it to be. Personally, I don't watch a lot of television, and due to my circumstances, I don't get the opportunity to go out socially a lot, so most of my free time is spent reading. Some books I read purely for entertainment, and might finish a light hearted, fun book in a few hours, whereas more literary or complex books might take days or weeks, and I will take my time and submerge myself below the surface of the writing and extract a wider understanding of a subject or environment.

Erotic novels.

(You can wipe that drink off your monitor now!).

LMAO :lol:

Good for her! I hope I'm still able to read and understand anything at all by the time I'm 91! :lol: Not looking good for me though, dementia runs in my family :)

Reading 12 books a week sound like a good way to prevent dementia. They say if you don't use it you lose it. I am just imagining her doing the crosswords as well and probably a bit of sudoku. :motz:

Good on her for her lifetime of reading. I hope she has passed on her obvious love for books to her family.

My uncle has this thing about how quickly he can read a novel, almost like a competitive race. I always feel as though, because I read a book a week (and only one at a time), I don't reach his standard.

But I find that I can't skim read. I might be a slow reader, but I do like to fully absorb and ponder upon the work. I don't have a TV, so don't get distracted by all that, but still only manage a book a week! I must be a dullard! :motz:

My uncle has this thing about how quickly he can read a novel, almost like a competitive race. I always feel as though, because I read a book a week (and only one at a time), I don't reach his standard.

But I find that I can't skim read. I might be a slow reader, but I do like to fully absorb and ponder upon the work. I don't have a TV, so don't get distracted by all that, but still only manage a book a week! I must be a dullard! :motz:

LOL, don't worry about it. I am the same way. I only read one book at a time and I really make sure I read slow to understand the book. Each time I read a book I try to take something away at the end.