Man Booker 2009 nominations

Not only have I not read any of these, I haven't even heard of any of them.. :lol: I think I'm living under a rock.

The Sarah Waters sounds interesting, at least.

Back in India, I tried to read last year's winner "White Tiger," but didn't like it at all.

LOL, I'm with you Beth, never heard of any of them.

hmm - Sarah Water's book is a great haunted house novel. That could well be up your street. My fave of the bunch has to be 'Me Cheeta'. Tarzan's simian sidekick's autobiography. hilarious and brilliant.

Thanks :) I will have a look for The Little Stranger when I go to the bookstore at the weekend!

• 2 months later...
From what I've heard on the grapevine, it's fairly unreadable and very hard work. More a triumph of intellect than necessarily a good read.

The grapevine is talking complete rubbish then!! I'm about a third of the way through, and it's brilliant - wonderfully readable, totally captivating, I resent having to put it down. So far, comfortably one of the best books I've read in the past few years. And whilst one could wait for the paperback (next May I gather), Amazon are currently selling for the price of a paperback.

Edited by willoyd

It's not a cost issue. I just don't like hardbacks. :D

I can empathise with that, especially given the degree I want to travel around with my books. Trouble is, I like the print size in hardbacks nowadays. All too many paperbacks are impossibliy small to read with relaxed ease.

Yes, print size is definitely an issue. I have to check the inside to see how small it is before buying these days.

That's one reason I never buy magazines with 'free' books inside even it's tempting, because they're nearly always smaller books with smaller print - I imagine it's to keep the costs down.

I also want to read Byatt's The Children's Book which was one of the shortlisted books - that doesn't come out in paperback until January but I guess that will be here before we know it! :D

I've been wanting to read AS Byatt's 'The Childrens Book' for ages .. I was tempted again in Waterstones yesterday but although it's very beautiful in hardback I'm waiting for the paperback.

Also wanting to read Sarah Waters 'Little Stranger' .. and on the strength of it winning and blencathra's review above I'm adding 'Wolf Hall' to my list .. any book described as 'the best book I've read in years' has got to be worth a look.

any book described as 'the best book I've read in years' has got to be worth a look.

ONE of the best!! To give you an indication of what that means in terms of my taste, my other fiction reads over the past two or three years that I'd rate in the same sort of bracket:

A Thousand Acres, Moby Dick, War and Peace, To Kill A Mockingbird, The Hours, A Suitable Boy, Bleak House, This Thing of Darkness, A Month in the Country, Cryptonomicon, Rosetta, The Conjuror's Bird, The Tenderness of Wolves.

That might help you decide whether that recommendation is worth taking any notice of from your point of view.

ONE of the best!! To give you an indication of what that means in terms of my taste, my other fiction reads over the past two or three years that I'd rate in the same sort of bracket:

A Thousand Acres, Moby Dick, War and Peace, To Kill A Mockingbird, The Hours, A Suitable Boy, Bleak House, This Thing of Darkness, A Month in the Country, Cryptonomicon, Rosetta, The Conjuror's Bird, The Tenderness of Wolves.

That might help you decide whether that recommendation is worth taking any notice of from your point of view.

Well, I love 'War and Peace', 'To Kill a Mockingbird' and 'Bleak House' ... and the rest I haven't read (two are in the cupboard waiting though) so going on that I'm prepared to trust in your taste :friends0: