The Fiction section in bookshops

That's what colour-coded notebooks are for :D and printed-off alphabetical indexes, divided by subject/genre.

See, John, you are amongst the professionals now.

If you don't go to a book shop with a list of first choices (minimum 50 book list), a separate list of second choices (another minimum 50 book list) and a back up list of emergency choices for when your first 100 choices aren't available, you're just a rank amateur!

If you don't go to a book shop with a list of first choices (minimum 50 book list), a separate list of second choices (another minimum 50 book list) and a back up list of emergency choices for when your first 100 choices aren't available, you're just a rank amateur!
I do actually highlight first choices by means of side-lining or bold type - some may call that obsessive; I just like to think I'm well-prepared. Join the ranks of the well-prepared, John :D you know you want to, we've got funky stationery!

Do you have a 'notes' section on your mobile phone? If I don't have my bag with me (for whatever reason), I always have my mobile. I add books I see while I'm out to that and then add them to my notebook and Amazon Wishlist when I get home!
In the unlikely event I don't have a notebook on me, I'll put a draft text message to exactly the same use :D!

Do you have a 'notes' section on your mobile phone? If I don't have my bag with me (for whatever reason), I always have my mobile. I add books I see while I'm out to that and then add them to my notebook and Amazon Wishlist when I get home! :lol:

I thought it was just me that did this :D

As a fan of genre fiction I actually dont mind the fiction section being split up into genres and sub-genres. If I have'nt got a specific book or genre in mind I tend to wander around aimlessly until something catches my eye.

That's an excellent tip about doing a note in your phone or a text! I was just in the book shop yesterday and since I didn't have my notebook in my bag, I kept repeating the title of this one book in my head so I wouldn't forget it :D.

That's an excellent tip about doing a note in your phone or a text! I was just in the book shop yesterday and since I didn't have my notebook in my bag, I kept repeating the title of this one book in my head so I wouldn't forget it :D.

Or, what I do is to use my phone to take a photo of the cover of the book - it's quicker than trying to type in the title and author, and I'm just lazy!

That's what colour-coded notebooks are for :D and printed-off alphabetical indexes, divided by subject/genre.

:D I'm impressed! Well scared maybe. I think we need some photographic examples of your system ;)

Getting back to this whole "Paranormal Romance" thing, as a manly man who likes the occasional bit of vampire fiction I find it really hard (as I have just done) to have to go and stand in the Paranormal Romance section in Smiths (right next to the Mills and Boon :lol: and the "adult" books) and look for the new Kelly Armstrong or Laurell K Hamilton. And yep I know I was getting funny looks cos the rest of that section was filled with female teenie goths...

And the book I wanted wasn't there, nor in Horror, Sci Fi and Fantasy it was in the well hidden "Vampire Fiction" section, that contained all the same books as the Paranormal Romance section.

Also how do they decide what goes where? Something that is Horror in Borders might be Para Romance in Smiths and General Fiction in Waterstones.. It's really got my goat. :lol:

In the unlikely event I don't have a notebook on me, I'll put a draft text message to exactly the same use :lol:!
I thought it was just me that did this :D

As a fan of genre fiction I actually dont mind the fiction section being split up into genres and sub-genres. If I have'nt got a specific book or genre in mind I tend to wander around aimlessly until something catches my eye.

That's an excellent tip about doing a note in your phone or a text! I was just in the book shop yesterday and since I didn't have my notebook in my bag, I kept repeating the title of this one book in my head so I wouldn't forget it :lol:.

We're a resourceful lot when we need to be, us bookworms! ;)

We decide where to put books based on the publishers discription. The problem comes most times from having mulitiple discriptions. Most times it will say in THIS order, "Fiction" then it will be followed by "Romance" followed by "Mystery". We keep it simple, whatever shows up first is how we catalogue it.

Or, what I do is to use my phone to take a photo of the cover of the book - it's quicker than trying to type in the title and author, and I'm just lazy!

Ooooh... I had a brainwave... If someone could program an iPhone app that orders the books after I photograph the barcodes then that would be the greatest thing EVER. No standing in the aisle for five minutes laboriously typing in the name, no fiddling around with the note settings, no issues if the battery is dying...

Ooooh... I had a brainwave... If someone could program an iPhone app that orders the books after I photograph the barcodes then that would be the greatest thing EVER. No standing in the aisle for five minutes laboriously typing in the name, no fiddling around with the note settings, no issues if the battery is dying...

That would be a great idea - I had a quick look (search iTunes for barcode), and there are a few barcode reading apps out there, and there are a few that look like they're on the right lines, but don't get great reviews at the moment :D There might be a good one out there, but I haven't delved deeply enough yet.