Bill Hussey

Nollaig

hussv.jpg

Synopsis from Amazon:

The Demons have woken, the Dreaming has begun…

When a young man goes missing from the Fen village of Crow Haven, Inspector Jack Trent is sent to investigate. He finds an isolated, insular community which harbours a shocking secret. A secret he has already glimpsed in his dreams. Now, in a race against time, Jack must piece together the mystery surrounding Dr Elijah Mendicant and the ancient Darkness of Crow Haven. He must save the life of an innocent child and stop an ageless evil from rising once more.

But doubt remains. Can Jack overcome the demons from his past? And what will he make of the Doctor’s final, devastating revelation?

The Doctor will see you now…

This novels features an immense depth of fictional history, that of persons and places and evil. Even for 440 pages, this novel condenses several life stories and then some – but it never loses coherency. As much as you’ll want to devour it, it’s carefully thought out and designed to be ingested slowly; mulled over in order to fully appreciate it’s multi-layered content. It features a little bit of everything – emotional intelligence, the everyday trials of parenthood and relationships, the working tribulations of a day on the police force; all alongside an exploration of more philosphical concepts. Personal demons – both physical and figurative, human fear, and strength and weakness all beg contemplation in this well-rounded novel which transcends it’s categorization as mere ‘horror’.

Complemented by an artist’s hand, the characters are the backbone of this story. Good and evil (and where does one draw the line?) alike, they’re credibly complex. Even the secondary characters have careful attention paid to them – though not necessarily integral to the plot, or even frequently encountered, they each have their own likeable (or unlikeable) personalities – particularly Jarski. Jack’s boss allows some laugh out loud moments, as well as retaining a level of reality amidst the un-reality of supernatural. The demon-plauged anti-hero himself, Jack Trent, is a character worthy of his own series of novels, just to discover how these all-too-real demons have determined the intricacies of his less than normal existence. By the heart-wrenching, soul-satisfying twists at the end of the novel, it will take you by surprise just how emotionally attached this character you’ve become.

All in all, it’s a very visual book, surprisingly graphic in parts and disturbingly dark in others – Hussey’s being hailed as the new Clive Barker is greatly justified. It journeys right to the edge of all things grotesque and psychologically horrifying – and then goes just a little further. It is not for the faint of heart, but it’s also not gratuitously explicit – it’s substantiated by a rich story, a subtle address of complex characters and an artistic grasp on the language that’ll make you cringe and wince as it unfolds. At times it’s a heavy read, but it’s highly original in it’s exploration of the truly terrifying, and a most rewarding read. All in all this isn’t just another cliched scary story, it’s an absolutely stunning introduction to the newest master of horror.

10/10

I've just read The Absence and I'm quite keen to read this one too - I felt that The Absence overdid it a bit, but on the whole it did horror very well.

Michelle I'm not getting through The Absence as quick as TAG,D - I'm thoroughly enjoying it, but I do think TAG,D is better. I like the main characters much more.

Excellent review Roxi :D I'm quite interested in this now, I think I'll add it to my wishlist :D

I'd be happy to lend it to either/both of you if yous want. It's really, really worth a read.

Edited by Nollaig

'Chelle

Erm.. you're missing the 'Mi' there! :D

I'd be happy to lend it to either/both of you if yous want. It's really, really worth a read.

Thank you for the offer, but I can never tell when I can get to books, so I'm better off having my own copy. :D

Well let me get through the 9 book bookring I'm in the middle of :D and some of my TBR pile, then I may just take you up on your generous offer! :D

Hah! Sorry Michelle, I've a friend called Michelle who I call 'Chelle, it's pure habit! I usually have to think about it when I type your name :D Won't happen again :D

And no problem guys, Charm it's there if you ever want it.

Just finished this today and loved it, so much so that I ordered The Absence which should hopefully be here tomorrow. I struggled to get into the book at first but I think it was mainly because I've not really read any 'horror' except for James Herbert for quite some time! Completely agree with the comparison to Clive Barker - they both have that rich style of writing which I adore :D

I was SO

disappointed when I realised what Jack was doing in the end, I was kinda hoping he'd be a recurring character somewhere. I got so attached to him, I really did. I was in tears by the end. :D

I loved the depth of information. The documents, and that LIBRARY! It was all so cool. I'd love to have known so much more about

Jack's past.

Not sure how to do the whole spoiler/highlight thing so will just say that I agree with what you said completely. Jack is one of my new favourite literary characters!

Oh, you have to go into 'advanced' reply, rather than quick reply, then just highlight the text and click the yellow 'S' button

will appear on either side. I'd really love to hear whatever you want to say in detail!

Also, mine too. He's a proper anti-hero isn't he? And his 'demons' are so cool,

the whole toy trunk in the bedroom in his mind

- AMAZING! It'd make a great movie!

Right, going to a dry run of the spoiler thing - keep your fingers crossed!

Near the beginning, the whole prostitute and powder thing and the no touching was the first thing that started to creep me out a bit

:D

Oooh, it worked! I'm not too good at explaining what I think but I'll get my thoughts together and post them. The Absence just arrived and I'm itching to pick it up!

Edited by Nollaig
Merged double posts.

Awesome! I look foward to hearing your thoughts.

As for the bit with

the prostitute, that actually made me feel quite sad -at first it didn't occur to me it was Jack, then when it did, I was slightly creeped out myself, I thought he was going to turn out to be a right psycho. But then, the fact that it was for the sake of mere touch - and it wasn't even really sexual, it was just, the need for human contact, which is fundamentally denied to him by his demons, it made me feel really sad.

Very emotional scene, in a way, I thought.

Anyone who's not read the book - don't highlight as there are major, major spoilers ahead!

It was awfully sad, I seem to have had watery eyes for most of the book. I knew it was Jack as soon as the line 'You might see the quiet guy tonight' came up, not sure why I knew but with the whole failed intimate encounter with Dawn, it was almost logical it should be him. I found it so depressing that it was the only way he allowed himself contact with another person :D

I like Father Brody - I found his diary entries quite interesting and I loved the account of Elspeth and how Crow Haven came about. The diary entries about Dr. Mendicant explained a bit - the encounter with the Rowbanks at the christening was freaky and then the fact that the Rowbanks had two sets of twins. The perfect set-up for Mendicant really.

The library was both fascinating and terrifying, loved the way the monk talked about Kit Marlowe. When Jack was reading the Transmigration of Souls I laughed at the mention of Transylvania and the Borgo Pass! I expect that threw a lot of people into expecting something else.

The chapters on his accident and the subsequent happenings were good but I would have liked a bit more 'something' The way his mother died was another uber creepy moment for me, shouldn't have read it at 3am really :D About halfway through I had a 'Sixth Sense' moment and figured out that Mendicant was after Jack rather than Jamie but it was still a shock to actually read it at the end. Shame it ended like that as I think he could have developed Jack and his demons further.

It would make an amazing film but I'm not sure who could do it justice, maybe Guillermo del Toro??? Even then, I don't think you could completely do the book justice without losing a huge portion. I could go on & on but this would turn into the longest post in the history of the forum! And I think I've rambled incoherently long enough!

Hehehe no no it's great to read incoherent ramblings! I agree with everything you said - I'm highly imperceptive when it comes to these things, which is why I didn't realise

Jack was the quiet guy, or that Mendicant was after him.

It actually says a lot for Hussey's writing style and ability, I think, that you were able to work those things out (since I never see anything coming he could have thrown flying monkeys in with armageddon somewhere and I wouldn't have thought it strange :D). It works to my advantage in some ways though -

I totally didn't see the end coming, but it made such perfect sense, and the toybox imagery should totally have given it away.

Actually, I think the

childlike aspect

was what I loved most about Jack.

He was a tough guy who'd obviously been through a lot to be a top detective, but there was still something so childlike and vulnerable about him.

I have to admit, right through the ending,

I was hoping he'd come out of the forest, because it never said what happened to his body, but obviously that couldn't be the case.

As for the movie, I don't know about actors or directors, but, some of the scenes, I can see the library, I can see the field with the scarecrow and bridge, even the camera angles lol.

And the bit with Mendicant as a child.

Man. I actually have to read this book again. I cried so much through the end that I probably didn't even read it all properly - I was inconsoleable after it!

I was so convinced we'd be seeing more of Jack!

Oh and as for his life story -yeah, I mean, it was good and detailed, but I would have liked more. I don't think more would have been right in this book, but that's why I wanted him to come back in other books or something.

Now *I'M* rambling incoherently :D

Now *I'M* rambling incoherently :D

:D It's contagious!

I was hoping that he would come out of the forest too but with the complete destruction of Crow Haven, the house and the forest I think it was going to be unlikely ;)

All the way through I could visualise the various scenes as a film but if they actually went ahead with the idea I think it would be completely Hollywood-ised and therefore ruin the whole thing. I don't know if I could bear to watch it.

Jack's innocence made him completely endearing - I think if he'd been portrayed as a 'tough copper' the ending would have across as completely contrived. It's just so sad that his innocence turned out to be his downfall - he would have (eventually) been a great father figure for Jamie.

I'm definitely going to re-read the book again - pretty sure I missed quite a bit!

Regarding the movie - they'd probably turn it purely into a horror and totally miss out on the emotional side, which for me is what sets it apart from a lot of horrors.

Oh actually can I ask, where did you hear about the book? You had it ordered prior to my review, right? I actually randomly came across it on Amazon weeks ago when I was browsing, and was lucky enough that it was up for review. I don't know anyoneelse whose even heard of it though, other than those I've been raving to.

Also, any thoughts on The Absence, you can post here, I can change the title to just Bill Hussey.

So far I'm liking The Absence, particularly the emotions - I think while TAG,D went all out in every respect, The Absence has honed in on certain key areas, like creating complex emotional characters. And while I love that aspect, I don't actually really like many of the characters. Still, I wasn't huge on Dawn or Jamie at first and I really got to like them, so maybe Richard, Bobby and Joe will grow on me.

I actually stumbled across it on Amazon about 3 weeks ago when I was looking for something else and it came up as a recommendation. I added it to my shopping basket, thought about it for a few days, gave in, ordered it and the book arrived about 5 hours before your review went up! So glad I got it now.

I haven't started The Absence yet as I have 2 books from my friend to read by Sunday but will get to it on Monday hopefully :D Will definitely have some incoherent ramblings about it when I'm done.

Isn't it weird that we both randomly stumbled across it on Amazon and happened to get it within days of each other?? :D

Oh, in case you've any interest, there will be an interview with Bill Hussey posted on the BCF blog next week (Tuesday/Wednesday if we're lucky) - you might find it interesting. I'll let you know when it's up.

One of the questions is whether he has plans for anything new, woo woo :D

Completely weird - have to say I'm glad I bought it though!

Definitely keep me posted about the interview - looking forward to reading it, and I certainly hope he's got something new in the works otherwise I shan't be happy. The only problem is, if The Absence only came out in April we might have a bit of a wait :D

I've changed the title, I hope that's ok? I've finally put together my review for The Absence - it's nowhere near as good as Roxi will manage, but here it is anyway, as posted on the review blog..

Joe Nightingale is a young man haunted by the car accident which killed his mother. It was an accident, but he was the one driving, and he watched his mother die before him. Bobby Nightingale is racked by guilt when he turns his back on a friend, who goes on to commit suicide. He’s also battling a drug addiction, and a rather nasty pusher. Richard Nightingale is their father, the one person who should helping them both.. but Richard is an alcoholic, tormented by his own problems.

Hence the stage is set for Bill’s second book, The Absence. There are many layers of horror laid out here for the reader in this one. The family discover that they have inherited a mill house, and the reader is quickly shown some of it’s history, which makes for some rather gruesome and gory scenes.

It is this ‘over-description’ which has put me off reading most horror books during recent years, so I was glad to find that the book doesn’t depend on them. There is just enough to please most fans of the genre, but Bill also offers so much more. He draws on existing folk lore, and twists it into the tale, making it into something much more.

Of course, the horror in the book extends to the individuals within the family, and their battles to deal with their own issues, and with each other. None are particularly likeable, although Joe is the easiest to understand, but that doesn’t stop you being involved. I was just as interested in the resolutions to their problems as I was in the dealings with the horror aspects.

The only thing I wasn’t sure about was the Epilogue – for those of you who have read, without giving anything away, do you think it was needed?

Overall, this is a book which has more depth to it than some other horror writers manage. I hope to pick up Bill’s earlier book, Through a Glass, Darkly, as well as any future offerings.

I'm hoping to get hold of Through A Glass, Darkly fairly soon, and look forward to reading all your spoilers, and adding my thoughts. :lol: