E.M. Forster

Books maniac

Hi all, I'm new to this forum but am very glad to have found it:D, I'd like my first post to be about E.M. Forster, I read 3 of his novels: "A room with a view" "where angels fear to tread" "Howards end".

I absolutely loved them all, so I was wondering what do you think of his novels???:)

I admit to not having gotten round to read any of them yet, although I fully intend to make up for this in the future - I love the film of "A Room with a View" so I'll probably start with that :) I shall let you know my thoughts.

A Room With a View is a gorgeous novel - I loved both the film and the book. I've also read and loved Howards End and plan to read more of Forster's works at some point.

I've read Where Angels Fear to Tread, A Room with a View and Howards End , and I plan to read A Passage to India and Maurice at some point.

I have to admit, my introduction to Forster was the Merchant Ivory films, but I absolutely adore them and decided to read the books, and I've found I love them just as much.

I'm a big fan of E.M.Forster. My favourites are A Room With A View and Howard's End. I didn't enjoy Maurice so much, I found it a bit pedantic. The movies made from his books are excellent, with exceptionally talented actors. I love his rather bohemiam main characters and their refusal to conform to class conventions.

I saw the film a room with a view but didn't really like it that much, but then when I read the book I felt that the message of the novel is that women should be free to think and act in the way they want not in the way men want them to, which is quite exceptional for a man of that time, but I didn't really see that in the movie and saw it as another love story.

I have to admit, my introduction to Forster was the Merchant Ivory films, but I absolutely adore them and decided to read the books, and I've found I love them just as much.

Mine too - they do such beautifully lavish adaptations!

I love his rather bohemiam main characters and their refusal to conform to class conventions.

That's exactly what I love about them too!

• 1 month later...

Have read "Room With a View" and "Where Angels Fear to Tread" and loved them both. I really loved the Merchant-Ivory movie version of "Room With a View".

What I found interesting about WAFtT was the comparison between the reserved Englishman and the emotional, impulsive Italian and have read what other people think about this aspect of the story. Something that struck me about the two cultures was the fact that women seemed to take on the reverse of what their male counterparts experienced. The Italian women were rarely seen in public and were expected to be subservient to the men in their lives while the English women were more vocal and seemed to have more power and position in their country. Even though their society was thought to be more repressed than the earthy Italians, the English women were more advanced in society.

Anyone else agree with this?

• 11 months later...

Either A Room With A View or Howard's End are good books to start reading Forster, in my opinion anyway. They're certainly the two I've enjoyed the mst with Maurice and Where Angels Fear To Tread coming after them in order of preference :D Hope you enjoy Forster, whichever one you start with!

• 1 year later...
  • 4 months later...
  • 4 months later...
  • 6 months later...

Hello everyone :smile:

I was looking forward to reading an E.M. Forster book because I loved the adaption of A Room With A View starring Helena Bonham Carter.

I decided to read A Passage to India but I was dissappointed because even though the plot and characters were okay the book itself I found a bit boring. I didn't finish reading it. Does anyone else like or dislike this book? If so why?

Edited by cuppycakes

I loathed A Room with A View when I first read it, because I had to read it for college. However, when I later read it for pleasure I quite enjoyed it. I'm intending to read A Passage to India soon. I don't think Forster will ever be one of my favourite writers but still, quite enjoyable.

Hello everyone :smile:

I was looking forward to reading an E.M. Forster book because I loved the adaption of A Room With A View starring Helena Bonham Carter.

I decided to read A Passage to India but I was dissappointed because even though the plot and characters were okay the book itself I found a bit boring. I didn't finish reading it. Does anyone else like or dislike this book? If so why?

I liked A Passage To India  the least of the Forster books I've read, not so much because I found it boring but because I got very angry with Adela. I felt similarly about Briony in The Attonement. Both accused someone falsely of something that ended up blighting the other persons life. 

If you loved A Room With a View, you should try watching Howard's End. It's equally as good and again stars Helena Bonham Carter as well as Anthony Hopkins, Emma Thompson and Vanessa Redgrave. Both of these are amongst my favourite films :)

If you loved A Room With a View, you should try watching Howard's End. It's equally as good and again stars Helena Bonham Carter as well as Anthony Hopkins, Emma Thompson and Vanessa Redgrave. Both of these are amongst my favourite films :)

I agree wholeheartedly! A Room With A View will always be my favourite because of when I first saw it and who I saw it with, but Howard's End is actually a better film and is wonderful to watch - everything is gorgeous - sets, locations, costumes, cinematography, acting, etc. A definite must watch for fans of costume drama.