Didius Falco series - Lindsey Davis

Dusky

Set in Ancient Rome under Emperor Vespasian, this series follows Marcus Didius Falco as he runs his private informer business, avoids his loud and boisterous family, tries to woo the woman of his dreams and raise a family.

I love these books to bits - my Classical Civilisations teacher lent me the first few, and I went and brought the rest myself. As well as a well-researched and detailed look at Ancient Roman life, it's entertaining - I love a sarky hero. But, enough of what I think - what are your opinions on the series? Like it, hate it, what's your favourite character and book?

Oh I LOVE this series! I have read all but the last two. She is pretty good when it comes to her history but in the early days she used to get people sending mail picking her up on the smallets things. She said it was so disheartening because she put so much into them and tried to be as accurate as possible. She decided to start do putting in the odd deliberate mistake to see if they would pick up on it.

I also have to say that the best ebding in any book I have eve read was See Dephi and Die :readingtwo:

Gosh, I read that one ages ago! Is it the one with the soup, or someone being eaten by lions? Or something totally different?

She has worked incredibly hard on them. People who pick up on the tiny things are just petty. I've read all but the brand new one, which is still a little out of my price range for the moment. I'll get it when it comes out in paperback :) I'm not sure which is my favourite from the series. I'll have to re-read them all and tell you :) I started the series almost three years ago, so you'll have to excuse my bad memory.

It is the one with the stew :) And no worries for not remembering if you have read the whole series in the last three years. I have to admit that I don't remember them all but that one I loved especially. My favourite for the whole story would have to Last Act in Palmyra where Falco and Helena wind up travelling with an acting troupe.

I started the series about 12 years ago and faithfully bought the newest paperback whenever it came out. I have missed the last couple and will now have to order those and add the to my tbr pile (which seems to be growing rather large at the moment!).

It has been so long since I read Silver Pigs but i remember thinking it was very good but a bit darker than the rest of the series. And Scandle was another on my favourite list. I think the ones where he is travelling are always a but more fun to read.

It was darker, most definitely. Breaking bones and the ickiness of the mines...but it was good. I'm going to have to go out and buy it, methinks.

I also love the one where he's in Britain again with the younger of Helena's brothers (his name escapes me right now) and there's that bit with the big bull.

Who's your favourite character?

• 2 months later...

I really like the Falco books as well. Although I have by no means read them all, my favourite has also been The Silver Pigs, I enjoyed the darker mood too.

I had never been to an author's 'event' until recently when Lindsey Davis was appearing locally. She is funny and down-to-earth and it was a very interesting evening learning about her background and inspiration.

She devoted a fair bit of time to her new venture, Rebels and Traitors, a novel of the English Civil War, which seems to have been a lifelong ambition of hers, which the success of the Falco series has now enabled her to achieve.

Looking foward to Rebels and Traitors which launches, I think, in the UK on 3rd September.

• 9 months later...

I wasn't sure whether I'd find Falco under 'Historical' or under 'Crime'...

Anyway, has anyone seen the latest Falco novel yet? Nemesis, I think? I don't usually buy books in hardback (cost and space) but I'm truly tempted by this one. The blurb on Amazon mentions something about a recent bereavement, and I'm worried about who might have been killed off...:)