SweetiiPie85 Books 2009

SweetiiPie85

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 weeks later...

Nineteen Eighty-Four by George Orwell (Sypnosis from Waterstones)

Winston Smith works for the Ministry of Truth in London, chief city of Airstrip One. Big Brother stares out from every poster, the Thought Police uncover every act of betrayal. When Winston finds love with Julia, he discovers that life does not have to be dull and deadening, and awakens to new possibilities. Despite the police helicopters that hover and circle overhead, Winston and Julia begin to question the Party; they are drawn towards conspiracy. Yet Big Brother will not tolerate dissent - even in the mind. For those with original thoughts they invented Room 101. "Nineteen Eight-Four" is George Orwell's terrifying vision of a totalitarian future in which everything and everyone is slave to a tyrannical regime.

My Thoughts

I thought this was a brilliant read, although parts of the story were quite distubing! The most chilling thing about this book is the possibility that it could actually happen and that scares me!

I am now reading Body of Evidence by Patricia Cornwell :eek2: I am hoping to complete the Scarpetta series as I have heard she has a new Scarpetta book out at the end of October.

A few books to add to my TBR pile; ;)

A Book of Illumination: A Novel from the Ghost Files by Mary Ann Winkowski

Lady Vernon and her Daughter: A Novel of Jane Austin's Lady Susan by Jane Rubino

Sawbones by Stuart MacBride

The Suspicions of Mr Whicher: Or the Murder at Road Hill House by Kate Summerscale

Memoirs of a Geisha by Arthur Golden

Scarpetta Series by Patricia Cornwell

Wuthering Heights by Emily Bronte

Edited by SweetiiPie85

Body of Evidence by Patricia Cornwell

A reclusive writer is dead. And her final manuscript has disappeared ...Someone is stalking Beryl Madison. Someone who spies on her and makes threatening, obscene phone-calls. Terrified, Beryl flees to Key West - but eventually she must return to her Richmond home. The very night she arrives, Beryl inexplicably invites her killer in ...Thus begins for Dr Kay Scarpetta the investigation of a crime that is as convoluted as it is bizarre. Why would Beryl open the door to someone who brutally slashed and then nearly decapitated her? Did she know her killer? Adding to the intrigue is Beryl's enigmatic relationship with a prize-winning author and the disappearance of her own manuscript. As Scarpetta retraces Beryl's footsteps, an investigation that begins in the laboratory with microscopes and lasers leads her deep into a nightmare that soon becomes her own.

My Thoughts

Brilliant! I really enjoyed reading this book and did not want to put it down. A great second installment to the Scarpetta Series. :D

• 2 weeks later...

The Woods by Harlan Coben

Paul Copeland's sister went missing twenty years ago. Now raising a daughter alone, Cope balances family life with a career as a prosecutor. But when a homicide victim is found with evidence linking him to Cope, the well-buried secrets of the past are threatening everything. Is this body one of the campers who disappeared with his sister? Could his sister be alive...? Confronting his past, Cope must decide what is better left hidden in the dark and what truths can be brought to light...

My Thoughts

This is another brilliant read by Harlan Coben. I was yet again hooked from the very first chapter and I just could not put it down. The book ended just as I hoped it would :)

10/10

Just One Look by Harlan Coben

Grace Lawson is living a happy, straightforward life in the suburbs with her husband, Jack, and two young children. But that security is about to come to a brutal end.

For when Grace picks up a set of holiday snaps, amongst them is one shot that doesn't fit: a faded image of a life that Grace doesn't recognise and of her husband as she never knew him.

Within twelve hours, Jack has disappeared, a brutal hitman is stalking her family and the safe world she knows has been turned upside down. And all Grace can see is that the past is coming back to haunt the present and people are getting hurt...

My Thoughts

Harlan Coben is brilliant, I loved this reading this book. I was hooked and desperate to find out what happens. There are a lot of characters in this book and it was great how he brought them all together. I was very shocked at the ending and annoyed that I never figured it out myself :)

10/10