The Importance of Covers

I've always known covers were important, but had no idea until last month, that major booksellers (in this case, Waterstones) actually had a major influence on covers prior to publication. Case in point: my own cover. My publisher had sent me the original version last September, but when I saw it displayed recently on Amazon and other sites, it was a little different than the version I saw. The sky was no longer beige like the sand, it was pale blue, and the woman's dress was a deeper, richer shade of pink.

Apparently, all of Macmillan's covers (and probably those of other publishers) are run by the folks at Waterstones first. If they suggest changes, changes are made. In my case, Waterstones said the cover wasn't colourful enough.

Clearly, booksellers have more clout in this area than do authors. I have to hope they know from whence they speak!

Maggie,

I think the cover looks fine.

Purple, as you might imagine, is my favorite color. (Look to the left at the pretty picture.) :)

Pink is almost purple, so it's fine with me.

So.......how do I go about getting an autographed copy?

dan :)

I had to change the cover of my book about a year after initial publication, as the original one just wasn't working. Because the book was and is print on demand I decided I might as well make other changes at the same time. I also then increased the font size and added some extra pages of text.

When I asked the staff at my local Waterstones what covers they preffered, I was told something red or orange with a strapline beneath the books title as to what the book was about. The designer did three different covers, all withn the same strapline, two in orange (one with the Christian cross and one with the Egyptian ankh - symbol of life as opposed to death) and one in blue with a much more classical feel.

I asked everyone on my mailing list to vote as to which one they liked and of course my publisher and editor. The overwhelming majority liked the blue one, and so that's the one I chose.

It has made a huge difference to sales, as it has a much more scholarly feel and the added pages make the book look and feel much more solid. The addition of reviews on to the back cover which compared it to a certain book by Richard Dawkins also helped !

My sales have probably increased tenfold since the new edition came out so it has certainly paid for itself.

Talisman:

You must be really pleased with this. Well done to have had the foresight to make a significant change to your cover, and to add more pages, plus the endorsements. Every little bit helps, and in this rotten economy, authors need all the help they can get!

Maggie

I find covers are terribly important, otherwise the pages get all fluffy!

Seriously though, I've heard that Waterstones will quite often commission their own covers (one that springs to mind is the "adult" cover they exclusively carried for Terry Pratchett's Wintersmith).

I think the covers are vitally important as I know that at least 1/2 of the time it is the cover alone that draws me to a book, that makes me pick it up & look it over & potentially buy it. And...I know I am not alone in that.

I have to agree with others, although I moan to my class about judging books by covers sometimes book covers do just draw me in! I was in a booksshop yesterday and I was drawn to the most beautiful book on the shelf (not that I can remember now what it was!) and almost got it apart from the voice in my head that reminded me of how many TBR books I have on my shelves.

Talisman:

You must be really pleased with this. Well done to have had the foresight to make a significant change to your cover, and to add more pages, plus the endorsements. Every little bit helps, and in this rotten economy, authors need all the help they can get!

Maggie

Thanks Maggie - you should be pleased too about getting that link from The Bookseller ! Will have to ask Jane if I can write something for her ...

• 2 months later...

The cover definitely draws me in first. Not just a picture or text but that actual colour of the cover can make a difference for me. For example, I bought Growing Up Again by Catriona McCloud because the cover was yellow and covered in flowers (and I'm glad I did because it was a good read). I try to look out for authors/titles I know but I do look at the covers (particuarly chick lit books).

A good, interesting, arresting cover goes a long way towards encouraging me to buy a book, and a bad one can definitely discourage me from buying others. The only thing I would say is that while I like a recurring theme and style being used for a series of books, I hate the way some authors who don't write series of books, but individual stand alone novels, seem to be made into an identifiable brand of books. The authors that spring to mind for this are Anita Shreve, Jodi Piccoult and Dan Brown - having read only one or two of each of their books and not liking any of them, it now instantly puts me off reading any more of any of theirs, and they're so easy to identify because of their brand.

Covers are certainly important for me when it comes to choosing a book - because ultimately the cover is what makes a book capture my attention. Without a good, stand-out cover, books will not get noticed in the stores unless they are from authors who you already know and trust - or not trust even. So yes, covers can be important, at least for me.

If I have enjoyed a book, and it has become one of my favorites, I've certainly bought a different version/cover, especially if I think the newer cover is more appropriate to the subject matter.

Well, the spine really is the deal breaker. As I've arranged my books by color, and there's only room on the "black" shelf, I cannot buy books with a spine in any other color than black at the moment.

I have a suggestion for books with black spines, ii...the Twilight series!

(I'm so sorry, but I just read your post on the other thread and couldn't help myself :D) :D

*cracks up*

I'd rather donate my Louboutins to charity.