Alice in Wonderland (Tim Burton Adaptation)

Rawr

Did anyone see the Tim Burton and Johnny Depp interview on Jonathan Ross last night? I was surprised at how Mr Depp sounds in real life. For some reason I was expecting Jack Sparrow but got a grown up man instead :friends0::lol:

I am always really interested in hearing Depp talk, he seems really intelligent and passionate about things and you can tell his mind never stops thinking, I like that :friends0:

• Replies 144
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yeah I suspect he has a bit of a complex about himself. I don't know anything about him as a person as I'm not really a huge fan (I just like the movies those two guys make) but I wouldn't be surprised to find he is his own harshest critic, and while doing what he wants irrespective of what anyone thinks, wouldn't be too quick to believe praise about himself. Which would definitely make sense with the disjointed social persona, because he probably doesn't really get what all the fuss is about.

That's what he was saying last night, he lives in France to try and escape the public/paparazzi aspect of his work. I think he just wants to act, rather than being "famous". To me, I think he looks uncomfortable whenever he's in public, he seems quite shy and reserved.

I didn't say he was uncomfortable. He's obviously not. But he's obviously also at odds with the social and formal side of what his work entails.

I think he's just indifferent as to the formal side of everything and whatnot, when he's really into a question or a topic which is brought up he seems composed and passionate about talking.

He's cool and obviously intelligent but he seems a little disjointed with whatever is going on around him.

I remember, back in the day, when Johnny Depp was an absolute heart throb in the way that Brad Pitt was. A poster boy for girls bedrooms. I didn't realise that he actually didn't want to be that type of actor during that period until his interview. I always assumed that he was a pretty boy first who developed into a great actor.....not a great actor who was given the label of pretty boy. Wonder if it's the same for Brad Pitt......although I think he may have been a model before getting that acting job in Thelma and Louise? Hmmmmmm.....I'm just rambling now :friends0:

To me, I think he looks uncomfortable whenever he's in public, he seems quite shy and reserved.

I just can't believe that someone so reserved can pull all these crazy characters out of his hat. He's amazing :friends0:

I wrote down a quote similar which Johnny made in an interview a little way back, it was about how he was against being typecast and being made into a product and owned by someone else, he made it clear how he was his own man and his work was his own art and it obviously means a lot to him without all that rubbish trying to blur that fact.

Good for him to stick to his guns. He's such a handsome man that he would've been cast in a million rom-coms by now if the powers of Hollywood had their way......He could've been as big as Matthew McConaughey! :friends0:

Exactly, it's always nice to see someone who is prepared to take risks to see what the other paths hold, especially in a business as risky as acting.

I've not yet seen any other reviews, but one of the Sunday papers said that this film is atrocious and that it is Depp's worst performance to date! :lol:

I read that this morning and was shocked it only got, I think, 1 star :friends0:. Other reviews I've seen have been a bit better, although I don't recall any saying it was 5 star material. Personally I doubt it is as bad as it's being made out to be, in my opinion Tim Burton and Johnny Depp are fantastic at what they do and no matter what any review says I cannot wait to (eventually) see it.

With that amount of concentrated talent (Burton, Depp, Bonham-Carter, Fry, Rickman, Elfman...!!), I would be extremely surprised if they managed to make it a bad film. Can't wait to see this, whatever the reviews may say - I'd read many reviews that slagged Gilliam's The Imaginarium of Doctor Parnassus and I thought it was pure genius, so there.

With that amount of concentrated talent (Burton, Depp, Bonham-Carter, Fry, Rickman, Elfman...!!), I would be extremely surprised if they managed to make it a bad film.

Me too! Bad reviews don't generally put me off a movie so I'll still be heading along to see it :lol:

I read that this morning and was shocked it only got, I think, 1 star :lol:

One star?? That would certainly make a lot of people angry :friends0: I am going to go see it and see what I think about it, I can't see Johnny Depp being in a one star movie, I think that parts of The Ninth Gate are atrocious, but because of the charisma and depth Depp brings, it made the film more than bareable, plus like Burton, Polanski still has a certain atmosphere to his films. So I hope this is the case, even though he's not exactly in the title roll of Alice, I hope his performance isn't ruined by the rest of it being a let down!