The Twilight Saga by Stephenie Meyer

Nollaig

• Replies 798
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ah, well, it would have to go in tv/movies etc, as they're not books, and if it's merely to drool over characters and not have intelligent discussion about the series as a whole, I can't endorse it.

Try talking about it in my sci-fi tv thread and if theres enough sensible discussion about it (which I will contribute to gladly) I'll split the discussion into it's own thread. How does that sound?

R.e the comparisons, it's worth bearing in mind I think that Twilight is aimed at a younger audience (the Angel series ended up rated over 18's at times), but having said that, I liked Buffy from when I was about 12, so... :icon_eek:

Just as well I like adverbs.

Just to add my piece on Breaking Dawn. I really liked it- even the bits other people didn't like were some of my favourites. It's my second favourite book in the series after Twilight itself.

I have to admit since seeing the Twilight movie I am starting to find Bella a bit annoying. She's so lifeless. I think this is the movie contaminating my experience of the book though. :D

I have to admit since seeing the Twilight movie I am starting to find Bella a bit annoying. She's so lifeless. I think this is the movie contaminating my experience of the book though. :D

I think that's Kristen Stewart more than anything else, rather than 'Bella' - she's not been stellar in the other couple of films I've seen her in! After reading the opening chapters of Midnight Sun you do get the sense that Bella is not as one dimensional as she can come across as in the books.

I think that's Kristen Stewart more than anything else, rather than 'Bella' - she's not been stellar in the other couple of films I've seen her in! After reading the opening chapters of Midnight Sun you do get the sense that Bella is not as one dimensional as she can come across as in the books.

I agree. This is probably becuase Meyer started to write Midnight Sun after the Twilight saga so she could have taken any criticism about Bella into consideration.

I agree. This is probably becuase Meyer started to write Midnight Sun after the Twilight saga so she could have taken any criticism about Bella into consideration.

Yeah I never thought of that. I do start to dislike Bella. All her fawning. :D

These books really aren't good for me! After re-reading New Moon for....the 100th time...:lol:...my new crush is Jacob, oh the shame :lol:

I was actually very disappointed when

Alice came back. She is my favourite character but I really wanted things to develop between Bella and Jacob. I just want more Jacob bits :)

Speaking of Jacob though, I think it would be really cool to have a New Moon from his point of view :) If Edward is special enough to get his own versions then so is Jacob!

Speaking of Jacob though, I think it would be really cool to have a New Moon from his point of view :lol: If Edward is special enough to get his own versions then so is Jacob!

No, please, no! I'm just re-reading Breaking Dawn and I know why she has to go to Jacob to tell part of the story, but I just can't help skipping through it! I think Jacob is too immature for me - Edward's obviously had decades to mature, Bella's an old soul, but Jacob is just a teenager and hasn't had time to grow up, and I just find him wearing. The whole of New Moon from his point of view? I don't think I could bear it. I just want Bella and Edward. Sorry.

I love the whole

werewolf

thing going on though

I would love to read about that night at the cinema from his point of view.

Oh noooo, team Jacob now...this is so bad :lol:

Help me Edward! :lol:

Edited by Nightwish

I really didn't like Jacob the first time I read the series. He irritated me no end! Then the second time, I was kind of indifferent. Both times though, I did find him quite funny in Breaking Dawn. The third time (:lol:) I actually warmed to him! Yayy. :lol: I actually got a little annoyed with Edward this time!

For me, the best bits of Breaking Dawn are the first few chapters

after Renesmee has been born, Bella is turning into a vampire and the description of her experience and feelings as a newborn

, so I'm always keen to get through with Jacob! I agree that the fighting/teasing with Rosalie is funny, but I think it's more that there's too much with

Leah and the splitting of the pack into two

that I get bored with.

Having said that, I suspect it's just because I've read them TOO MANY TIMES!

For me, the best bits of Breaking Dawn are the first few chapters

after Renesmee has been born, Bella is turning into a vampire and the description of her experience and feelings as a newborn

, so I'm always keen to get through with Jacob! I agree that the fighting/teasing with Rosalie is funny, but I think it's more that there's too much with

Leah and the splitting of the pack into two

that I get bored with.

Having said that, I suspect it's just because I've read them TOO MANY TIMES!

I didn't think that

Bella's experience as a newborn was covered very well.

Which is the main reason why I didn't really like BD.

she took to it far too easy for my liking. Plus, I HATED Renesmee. She should have been missed out totally

:lol:

Plus, I HATED Renesmee. She should have been missed out totally

I'm undecided about Renesmee. At first I thought "Aww, vampire baby!". But later I found the idea of a human having a baby with a vampire rather silly. Renesmee does have the most interesting special ability of all the vampires, I think. Meyer could have given her a better name, though....

I didn't think that

Bella's experience as a newborn was covered very well.

Which is the main reason why I didn't really like BD.

she took to it far too easy for my liking. Plus, I HATED Renesmee. She should have been missed out totally

I wasn't that bothered by

Renesmee (although agree with everyone about the name - why couldn't she have been Carlie Renesmee so that we could have ignored the Renesmee bit!)

, and I can see why it was a necessary plot point, and although I loved

Bella's experience as a newborn

, I would have preferred it if it had actually been split into two books, with more details about

Bella's transformation and early vampire life

, with a second book about

Renesmee and the immortal child comparison/Volturi denouement

I just think that the plot of

Bella becoming a vamp would have been enough, but then again, I guess she may not have been made a vamp if she didn't get pregnant!!! Having a child just ruined it for me

I think it would have been hard for Meyer to justify

ending Bella's life and transforming her into a vampire without her effectively being at death's door. The child allowed her to tie up all the loose ends, ie come to an understanding with Rosalie, thereby creating the completely happy family scenario, allow Jacob to imprint on someone and get over Bella but still become part of her life, and provide a valid reason for Volturi to destroy Cullen coven

. I would still have preferred it as two books.

I agree that I hate the name ;) I still think I'm saying it wrong. I would have liked a bit more about

Edward and Bella's relationship when she changed, a bit more about the Cullens having to control her or something. It was all too easy.

And the last chapters were too drawn out and an anti-climax. I hated the introduction of all of the other characters. It would have been nicer to see a bit more of the Cullens.

I also hated that Alice disappeared and left the name of the lawyer. I know it was so Reneesme could escape but I just hated that whole part.

Maybe I'm just picking fault.