Festivals

Natty

Not one for festivals... too many people/drink/noise. Yes, I'm a hermit.

That said, ages 17 to 22 saw me dancing/singing/band befriending and managing like a maniac at Liverpool's magnificent BeatleWeek festival so I suppose I de-hermit myself for the right kind of music, in the company of a kindred audience.

Sadly, just as there was no BW for me last year (stupid move/househunt), there'll be no BW for me this year (stupid dissertation). Hopefully next year - if Liverpool City Council and its counterproductive ways haven't killed/ruined it by then.

Not one for festivals... too many people/drink/noise. Yes, I'm a hermit.

This is me too I'm afraid, I've never been to a festival and don't ever intend too. My BF's horror stories from when he went to the Leed's festival a few years back were more than enough to put me off :)

I've been to quite a few smaller jazz festivals and outdoor concerts my dad used to play in, but I've never been to a huge rock fest. I used to want to, but ever since I watched my DVD of the Chili Peppers playing at Slane Castle I've been too scared. I couldn't believe the sea of people watching! Just thinking of everyone squashed up against each other and sleeping in tents puts me off the whole thing, LOL.

Haha I suppose festivals could be quite daunting. I went to my first one when I was 17 and loved it. Boozed up, bands and people rebelling made the weekend. Now as 23 is fast approaching, I'm one for watching the bands - not moshing and going home on the Sunday so I can wake up to a nice warm shower. Give me a few years and it'll be Glasto on the telly and a hot chocolate haha :)

Also, Peacefield - Jazz fests? That sounds amazing! I've always wanted to go to a Jazz fest or maybe just a Jazz bar or something. Unfortunately in my little town Jazz isn't high up on the want lists of the yocals. Rather, booze deals and block rockin' beats. Aaah... x

I like watching festivals, but i much prefer the intimate settings of actual venues cause you can actually get really close to bands and the sound is often much better as is crowd interaction and band interaction and the energy which both feed off and such, it would be a great experience but i like individual concerts more.

I like watching festivals, but i much prefer the intimate settings of actual venues cause you can actually get really close to bands and the sound is often much better as is crowd interaction and band interaction and the energy which both feed off and such

That's what makes BeatleWeek so great, I think. Venues vary from the small, sticky, smocky rebuilt Cavern Club, to the huge ballroom in the Adelphi Hotel to the Liverpool Empire - places like the CC are best as far as I'm concerned as you can literally touch the band, talk to them or be dragged onstage, but even the bigger venues are informal enough to allow you to rub shoulders with the bands not currently on-stage: every band goes to see everybody else's gigs which gives it all such a beautiful atmosphere. You really can tell everybody's in it for the music (even more so from the fact that people don't get paid to perform and have to pay for their own flight, even the bands from across the atlantic). Can you tell I miss it...?