MissWhitlock's Reads 2009 :)

MissWhitlock

I got really bored so decided to make one of these! Yay!

Currently Reading:

Wyrd Sisters- Terry Pratchett

Generation Dead- Daniel Waters

What I've read in 2009:

1984- George Orwell 7/10

Going Postal- Terry Pratchett 7/10

The Boy in Striped Pyjamas 9/10

Brisingr- Christopher Paolini 7.5/10

Inkdeath- Cornelia Funke 6.5/10

The Five People You Meet in Heaven- 7.5/10

Lie By Moonlight- Amanda Quick- 6.5/10

Desire- Amanda Quick- 6.75/10

Atonement- Ian McEwan- 9.5/10

The Last Continent- Terry Pratchett- 9/10

My Sister's Keeper- Jodi Picoult- 8.5/10

Night Watch- Terry Pratchett- 7.5/10

Interview with The Vampire- Anne Rice- 9.5/10

The Time Traveler's Wife- Audrey Nifenegger- 9.5/10

The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy- Douglas Adams- 5.75/10

Dracula- Bram Stoker- 7/10

Can You Keep a Secret?- Sophie Kinsella- 9.5/10

IT- Stephen King - 9.75/10

Things I Want my Daughters to Know- Elizabeth Noble- 7/10

The Kite Runner- Khaled Hosseini- 10/10

...I can't remember anymore books I read. I probably read more than this though, I just...Can't remember, as per usual :)

Edited by MissWhitlock

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What's on my list:

Enduring Love- Ian McEwan

The Other Boleyn Girl- Philippa Gregory

The Vampire Chronicles- Anne Rice

-Interview with the Vampire

-Vampire Lestat

-Queen of the Damned

-The Tale of the Body Thief

-Memnoch the Devil

-The Vampire Armand

-Merrick

-Blood and Gold

-Blackwood Farm

-Blood Canticle

Sisterhood of the Traveling Pants series- Ann Brashares

-Sisterhood of the Traveling Pants

-The Second Summer of the Sisterhood

-Girls in Pants: The Third Summer of the Sisterhood

-Forever in Blue: The Fourth Summer of the Sisterhood

Thanks for the Memories- Cecilia Ahern

A Place Called Here- Cecilia Ahern

The Gift- Cecilia Ahern

The Catcher in the Rye- JD Salinger

Princess Diaries Series- Meg Cabot

-Princess in the Spotlight

-Princess in Love

-Princess in Waiting

-Princess in Pink

-Princess in Training

-Party Princess

-Princess on the Brink

-Princess Mia

-Forever Princess

All Together Now- Monica McInerny

Alphabet Sisters- Monica McInerny

The Jane Austen Book Club- Karen Joy Fowler

Marley & Me- John Grogan

The Rose Labyrinth- Titania Hardie

The Necklace- Cheryl Jarvis

The lovely Bones- Alice Sebold

Dollanganger Series- VC Andrews

-Flowers in the Attic

-Petals on the Wind

-If There be Thorns

-Seeds of Yesterday

-Garden of Shadows

It's the Little Things- Erica James

Lamb- Christopher Moore

Animal Farm- George Orwell

Shopaholic Series- Sophie Kinsella

-Confessions of A Shopaholic

-Shopaholic Takes Manhattan

-Shopaholic Ties the Knot

-Shopaholic and Sister

-Shopaholic and Baby

Sophie's Choice- William Styron

Little Women- Lousia May Alcott

Count of Monte Cristo- Alexandre Dumas

Jane Eyre- Charlotte Bronte

Wuthering Heights- Emily Bronte

Stephanie Plum books- Janet Evanovich

-One for the Money

-Two for the Dough

-Four to Score

-High Five

-Hot Six

-Seven Up

-Hard Eight

-To the Nines

-Ten Big Ones

-Eleven on Top

-Twelve Sharp

-Lean Mean Thirteen

-Fearless Fourteen

Hitchiker's Guide to the Galaxy series- Douglas Adams

-Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy

-Restaurant at the End of the Universe

-Life, The Universe, and Everything

-So Long, and Thanks for all the Fish.

-Mostly Harmless

-And Another Thing...

-The Salmon of Doubt.

His Dark Materials Trilogy- Philip Pullman

-Northern Lights

-The Subtle Knife

-The Amber Spyglass

War and Peace- Leo Tolstoy

Gone With the Wind- Margaret Mitchell

Carrie- Stephen King

The Stand- Stephen King

The Shining- Stephen King

Artemis Fowl- Eoin Colfer

The Book Thief- Markus Zusak

Pride and Prejudice- Jane Austen

The Old Kingdom Series- Garth Nix

-Sabriel

-Lirael

-Abhorsen

The Seventh Tower Series- Garth Nix

-The Fall

-Castle

-Aenir

-Above the Veil

-Into the Battle

-The Violet Keystone

The Discworld Series- Terry Pratchett

-Mort

-Wyrd Sisters

-Pyramids

-Guards! Guards!

-Moving Pictures

-reaper Man

-Witches Abroad

-Small Gods

-Lords and Ladies

-Men At Arms

-Soul Music

-Maskerade

-Feet of Clay

-Hogfather

-Jingo

-Carpe Jugulum

-The Fifth Elephant

-The truth

-Theif of Time

-The Last Hero

-The Amazing Maurice and his Educated Rodents

-The Wee Free Men

-Monstrous Regiment

-A Hat Full of Sky

-Thud!

-Wintersmith

-Making Money

-The Unseen Academicals

The Eyre Affair- Jasper Fforde

The Great Gatsby- F. Scott Fitzgerald

Evermore- Alyson Noel

Atlas Shrugged- Ayn Rand

Sookie Stackhouse series- Charlaine Harris

-Dead Until Dark

-Living Dead in Dallas

-Club Dead

-Dead to the World

-Dead as a Doornail

-Definitely Dead

-All Together Dead

-From Dead to Worse

-Dead and Gone

Change of Heart- Jodi Picoult

The Pact- Jodi Picoult

19 Minutes- Jodi Picoult

Keeping Faith- Jodi Picoult

Mercy- Jodi Picoult

Plain Truth- Jodi Picoult

Frankenstein- Mary Shelly

Running With Scissors- Augusten Burroughs

-

Children of Men- PD James

Forrest Gump- Winston Groom

The Reading Group- Elizabeth Noble

Mao's Last Dancer- Li Cunxin

Life of Pi- Yann Martel

The Scarlett Letter- Nathaniel Hawthorne

The Historian- Elizabeth Kostova

The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo- Stieg Larsson

The Girl Who Played With Fire- Stieg Larsson

The Memory Keeper's Daughter- Kim Edward

Generation Dead- Daniel Waters

Getting The Girl- Markus Zusak

I Am The Messenger- Markus Zusak

Sorry for all the typos, btw :) The books in Orange are re-reads.

The books in red are the ones on my pile.

Edited by MissWhitlock

Good luck with the reading - I've got a stack of books I want to get through myself!

X

PS - Love the signature - another Mighty Boosh fan! :)

One for the Money- Janet Evanovich. from the Stephanie Plum Series :)

Blurb from the back of the book:

Stephanie Plum is down on her luck. She's lost her job at New Jersey's most down market lingerie store, her car's on the brink of repossession, and her apartment is fast becoming furniture-free. Enter Cousin Vinnie, a low-life who runs a bail-bond company. If Stephanie can bring in vice cop turned outlaw Joe Morelli, she stands to pick up $10 000.

But tracking down a cop wanted for murder isn't easy. And suddenly Stephanie has another problem on her hands. Benito Ramirez, a prize-fighter with more menace than mentality, wants her to be his friend- and he won't take no for an answer. Soon Stephanie begins to know exactly what it feels like to be pursued- and the best person to protect her just happens to be on the run...

My thoughts

I thought the Stephanie Plum series were gonna be good since all my friends seemed to like it, they thought they were amazingly funny. So when I read One for the Money I had great expectations, but it was a bit of a let down. It wasn't THAT funny, her style of writing's good though, easy to read, but the plot is badly set out, I think. I didn't finish this book, I simply had no patience anymore.

:)<--- HAHA I just find that funny. Ahem.

Oh, I've wanted to start one of these for a long time but I just can't be bothered typing them all out. I now have 93 on my list. Lmao. I can't be stuffed going through them and picking ones I'd like to read this year. :I

Oh! You forgot the Five People in the books you've read so far. LOL, you and your memory. You're worse than me now.

I added The Eyre Affair by Jasper Fforde in my list :) My sister really liked him so I thought I'd give it a go.

I'm halfway through Atonement, and it's AWESOME. I really like the way the author writes, although he does tend to ramble quite a lot, I love his style of writing. And the way he set out the whole thing, from one person's point of view first, and then going back and writing it from another person's view. I like it :D

I'm halfway through Atonement, and it's AWESOME. I really like the way the author writes, although he does tend to ramble quite a lot, I love his style of writing. And the way he set out the whole thing, from one person's point of view first, and then going back and writing it from another person's view. I like it :D

I'm reading Atonement as well and really enjoying it, apart from one sentance which just dodn't seem to fit the book and I had to keep going back and making sure I read it right! :)

Atonement- Ian McEwan

Amazon's Review:

We meet 13-year-old Briony Tallis in the summer of 1935, as she attempts to stage a production of her new drama "The Trials of Arabella" to welcome home her older, idolized brother Leon. But she soon discovers that her cousins, the glamorous Lola and the twin boys Jackson and Pierrot, aren't up to the task, and directorial ambitions are abandoned as more interesting prospects of preoccupation come onto the scene. The charlady's son, Robbie Turner, appears to be forcing Briony's sister Cecilia to strip in the fountain and sends her obscene letters; Leon has brought home a dim chocolate magnate keen for a war to promote his new "Army Ammo" chocolate bar; and upstairs, Briony's migraine-stricken mother Emily keeps tabs on the house from her bed. Soon, secrets emerge that change the lives of everyone present....

The interwar, upper-middle-class setting of the book's long, masterfully sustained opening section might recall Virginia Woolf or Henry Green, but as we move forward--eventually to the turn of the 21st century--the novel's central concerns emerge, and McEwan's voice becomes clear, even personal. For at heart, Atonement is about the pleasures, pains, and dangers of writing, and perhaps even more, about the challenge of controlling what readers make of your writing. McEwan shouldn't have any doubts about readers of Atonement: this is a thoughtful, provocative, and at times moving book that will have readers applauding.

My Thoughts:

I agree with every word that dude from amazon has written. It was a pretty moving book, I liked the plot very much, I liked Ian's style of writing, although he did ramble quite a lot at times. I was bugged by the lack of use of commas (lol, OCD, much?) but that's it really. I really like how the lives of three people, hell...alot of people, changed just from that one moment by the fountain. I definitely recommend this book.a

My Rating: 9.5/10

I love Ian McEwan as well. I started with Enduring Love, which I strongly recommend to you. I hope you're well, chum. :)

So sorry, Mac. I forgot you recommended me something, didn't put it in my list til now. :roll::lol: Damn my forgetfulness!

anyways, read the blurb thingo and it sounds pretty interesting! I'll add it in my list! Thanks for the...McRecommend. :D

..:006:

You're very welcome. It's an excellent book. I'm really pleased you liked Atonement. Have a good...err...evening? Afternoon? Oh, I don't know, all these different time zones...:)

Fraid to say i AM going through the stephanie Plum books one by one. Apparently, it starts out really boring but then picks up somewhere later. So I shall drag myself through it if I must, I wanna get to the funny bits.

EDIT: Am also adding Evermore by Alyson Noel. Anyone read this? Apparently it's good according to my friend who recommended the Stephanie Plum books. She say she couldn't get her hands on a physical copy though so she had to read from an e-book thing. I wouldn't wanna have to do that, so I shall hunt my bottoms off for this book. Hunt my bottoms off=request the library if they could buy a copy.

Edited by MissWhitlock

The Last Continent- Terry Pratchett

Blurb:

This is the Discworld's last continent, a completely separate creation.

It's hot. It's dry . . . very dry. There was this thing once called The Wet, which no one now believes in. Practically everything that's not poisonous is venemous. But it's the best bloody place in the world, all right?

And it'll die in a few days, except . . .

Who is this hero striding across the red desert? Champion sheep shearer, horse rider, road warrior, beer drinker, bush ranger and someone who'll even eat a Meat Pie Floater when he's sober? A man in a hat, whose Luggage follows him around on little legs, who's about to change history by preventing a swagman stealing a jumbuck by a billabong?

Yes . . . all this place has between itself and wind-blown doom is Rincewind, the inept wizard who can't even spell wizard. He's the only hero left.

Still . . . no worries, eh?

My Thoughts:

Brilliant.

Average ending though, but other than that, Brilliant. Brilliantly written, brilliant humour (OF COURSE!), average plot, BRILLIANT characters.

I give this a 9/10!

My Sister's Keeper- Jodi Picoult

From Wiki:

My Sister's Keeper is is a novel about a young girl who sues her parents for the right to make her own decisions about how her body is used when a kidney transplant is planned in order to potentially save her older sister.

My Thoughts:

Wonderfully written, I think. I liked how it was jumping from each person's points of view, and has a lot of flashbacks too. At first, it was confusing but I got used to it. But yes, I thought the reason Anna was suing her parents were simply because she wanted attention, either that or she's incredibly selfish. Apparently not. The real reason made me cry, and I think it was quite unexpected. I did not like the ending though. It seemed like the writer just made it up as she went along. Or that she was running out of ideas or something. It could've been written better, I think. It was just so... so sudden. Liked the epilogue though, I cried. I felt for Kate's pain, for Brian's. It was all so sad. It's quite unfair.

I give this 8.5/10