Melisa's Reading for 2009

Melisa

I'm new to this forum but liked the idea of making a list of books that I want to read in the hope of getting suggestions and hopefully broadening my reading horizons!

I can't remember all of the books I have read this year but I've read:-

*All the 'Twilight' books - I loved these (although I can imagine they are not to everyone's taste!)

*'E' by Matt Beaumont (quite funny, the whole book is based on emails at an advertising company)

Countless others that I will update once I can remember!

At the moment I am reading 'Divine Justice' by David Baldacci. I'm becomming quite a fan of his books. The ones I have read so far are The Camel Club ones featuring Oliver Stone etc.. really liked these.

Next on my list is 'The Time Travellers Wife' which I've had for some time now but just never gotten around to reading. I've heard good things about this so am going to give it a go!

:roll:

Melisa,

Welcome, first off. :roll:

Second, there's quite a few threads going on at the moment for what people are reading after the Twilight books.. I enjoyed the Twilight books but am not really looking to read more vamp books, so can't tell you exactly where they are.. but the threads are there, and they're active, so should be easy to find, in case you're looking for anything similar to read soon. ;)

Also, lots of fans of The Time Traveler's Wife around here.. There's lots of discussion that goes on about that one, too.

Happy Reading!

Hi bethany725

Thanks for the welcome!

I think I'm a bit like you regarding the Twilight books - I've read them all but aren't really looking to read any more vampire books to be honest!

I'll look out for the discussions about 'The Time Travellers Wife' once I read it, which will hopefully be next!

Thanks again.

:roll:

I'm new to this forum but liked the idea of making a list of books that I want to read in the hope of getting suggestions and hopefully broadening my reading horizons!

Oh Boy Melisa - you will without a doubt get suggestions and recommendations left, right and centre! :roll:

If you are like any of us, your To Be Read pile will be a mountain in no time. Welcome! ;)

Hi Melissa ;) Welcome to the forum :roll:

You will no doubt find loads of interesting titles that take your fancy on this forum, its a really busy place, so be prepared for your wishlist to grow and grow! Be prepared to become a BCF addict too! :lol:

Thanks Chrissy and Charm!

I've managed to finish 'Divine Justice' by David Baldacci. Another solid read about the Camel Club.

This book has a lot of the same characters from the previous books in his Camel Club series (he's written 4 so far) and takes Oliver Stone to a seemingly quiet town in Virginia called Divine. Of course things aren't quite what they seem..

I really like these books - the characters are so easy to like and the stories easy to get into.

My next books to read over the next month or so are:-

1) Restoring Grace - Katie Fforde

2) The Time Travellers Wife - Audrey Niffenegger

3) Wildfire - Nelson DeMille

4) The Importance of Being Kennedy - Laurie Graham

5) Tuesdays with Morrie - Mitch Albom

I've heard very good things about 'The Time Travellers Wife' so am really looking forward to reading that!

:)

My next books to read over the next month or so are:-

1) Restoring Grace - Katie Fforde

Is this your first read by her, or have you read many of her stories? I haven't read this particular Fforde yet, but I've read 2 of hers over the past couple of weeks: "Stately Pursuits" and "Living Dangerously." I liked them both a lot.. I'm trying to locate "Practically Perfect" as it's been highly recommended around this board, but haven't gotten my hands on it yet. Hopefully soon! :)

Is this your first read by her, or have you read many of her stories? I haven't read this particular Fforde yet, but I've read 2 of hers over the past couple of weeks: "Stately Pursuits" and "Living Dangerously." I liked them both a lot.. I'm trying to locate "Practically Perfect" as it's been highly recommended around this board, but haven't gotten my hands on it yet. Hopefully soon! :D

I've read quite a lot her books actually! The first being 'Flora's Lot' that somebody had left behind when I was on holiday a couple of years ago. I'd never heard of her before then!

I've read 'Stately Pursuits' but haven't gotten around to reading 'Practically Perfect' even though I own it!

I can recommend 'The Rose Revived', 'Going Dutch' and 'Life Skills' - they're all set on barges (she must have been going through a phase or something!) and I loved them!

Lovely heartwarming stories with a touch of comedy! Just what I want to read after reading something heavy!

I've got some other books that I'll be reading at some point over the next couple of months:-

1) The Bodies Left Behind - Jeffery Deaver (I always love his books so I'm hoping he won't let me down!)

2) Teacher Teacher - Jack Sheffield (I read about this on somebody elses listing and it sounded quite good so I've pre-ordered it from the library!)

3) The Book Thief - Markus Zusak (another book I've had for a while but not gotten around to reading!)

4) The Brass Verdict - Michael Connelly (my mum is a big fan so has given me her copy!)

5) The Guilded Seal - James Twining (another book I've had for a while....even my mum has read my copy!)

6) The Return - Victoria Hislop (I've read The Island and really liked it. I've been slightly put off by the bad reviews and the state of my reading pile!)

Has anybody read any of these?

Any thoughts?!

Bit of a pattern here - I seem to buy books, put them down and never get around to reading them! This is because of my library. It's so well stocked I tend to read these first and forget about the ones I've bought!

To be honest I'd be lost if I didn't have a pile of books to read! All I can say is roll on the May Bank Holiday!

6) The Return - Victoria Hislop (I've read The Island and really liked it. I've been slightly put off by the bad reviews and the state of my reading pile!)

Has anybody read any of these?

Any thoughts?!

Whilst it's not the best book ever written, I thought it was an interesting and enlightening read about a subject I knew nothing about. It does have faults, and I can't say I was keen on the two parallel running plots (would have preferred it without the modern day segments, and just had a straight forward historical story), but I still enjoyed it, and I thought it would make a good holiday read.

Well I've finished Restoring Grace by Katie Fforde. It was ok but not her best so I've been to the library and I'm on with my next book now!

I'm currently reading 'Teacher Teacher' by Jack Sheffield after reading about it on somebody else's thread.

It's set in 1977 at a school in Yorkshire and the book is narrated by the new (and young) headteacher during his first year. Looking forward to reading it as the author actually went to college in York where I'm from so it's nice hearing about it from somebody else's viewpoint!

1) Restoring Grace - Katie Fforde - Read!

2) Teacher, Teacher - Jack Sheffield - Reading

3) Mister Teacher - Jack Sheffield

4) Dear Teacher - Jack Sheffield

5) The Time Travellers Wife - Audrey Niffenegger

6) Wildfire - Nelson DeMille

7) The Importance of Being Kennedy - Laurie Graham

8) Tuesdays with Morrie - Mitch Albom

Edited by Melisa

3) The Book Thief - Markus Zusak (another book I've had for a while but not gotten around to reading!)

I've read this one out of your list and loved it.. great story, and really well-written IMO. I hope you enjoy. :D

I've read quite a lot her books actually! The first being 'Flora's Lot' that somebody had left behind when I was on holiday a couple of years ago. I'd never heard of her before then!

I can recommend 'The Rose Revived', 'Going Dutch' and 'Life Skills' - they're all set on barges (she must have been going through a phase or something!) and I loved them!

Lovely heartwarming stories with a touch of comedy! Just what I want to read after reading something heavy!

Thanks for the recs here! I do the same thing as you do.. pick up a Fforde to read after some heavier stuff. It works perfectly for me.

Well I've finished Restoring Grace by Katie Fforde. It was ok but not her best so I've been to the library and I'm on with my next book now!

I agree with you, good but not her best. I've read a few of her books, and I like them, but I find them instantly forgettable, and even reading the blurb doesn't jog my memory, so it's important to keep a list of which ones I've read!

I'm currently reading 'Teacher Teacher' by Jack Sheffield after reading about it on somebody else's thread.

It's set in 1977 at a school in Yorkshire and the book is narrated by the new (and young) headteacher during his first year. Looking forward to reading it as the author actually went to college in York where I'm from so it's nice hearing about it from somebody else's viewpoint!

This is on my wishlist. I read the Gervase Phinn school inspector memoirs and loved them, as did my Dad, and I got him Teacher, Teacher on audiobook which he said was just as good, so I'm going to get the book myself (once I've reduced TBR dramatically!).

Just finished 'Teacher, Teacher' and I really enjoyed it! I started it last night and finished it this afternoon as I was enjoying so much. It really reads as though it's a story and I couldn't wait to read each chapter. I loved reading the notes the parents would send in explaining why their child wasn't able to come into school, complete with unfortunate spelling mistakes!

Looking forward to reading how things will develop in the next two. I've reserved them in my library so hopefully I won't have to wait too long!

I've not read the Gervase Phinn books but after looking them up on Amazon I think I may have to add them to my TBR pile, which is getting bigger everytime I log on here!

Updated reading list!

2) Teacher, Teacher - Jack Sheffield - Read!

3) Dark Harbour - David Hosp - Reading

4) Mister Teacher - Jack Sheffield

5) Dear Teacher - Jack Sheffield

6) The Time Travellers Wife - Audrey Niffenegger

7) Wildfire - Nelson DeMille

8) The Importance of Being Kennedy - Laurie Graham

9) Tuesdays with Morrie - Mitch Albom

10) Keeping the Dead - Tess Gerritsen

11) The Book Thief - Markus Zusak

Next book I'm going to be reading is 'Dark Harbour' by David Hosp - not read any of his books before so hoping it's good.

Anybody read this?

Hoping to read 'The Time Travellers Wife' shortly after the good recommendations on this website!

Thanks DanC - I'm going to read it next I've decided! All the good reviews and posts have persuaded me and I can't wait any longer!

Just as soon as I've finished Dark Harbour..

50 pages in and it's actually quite good. I think I've discovered a new author!

Another updated list!!

3) Dark Harbour - David Hosp

Still reading 'Dark Harbour' and it's quite good!

Wasn't sure what to expect as I've never really heard of this author before..

Next up 'The Time Travellers Wife'....

Updated Reading List!

3) Dark Harbour - David Hosp – Read!

4) Mister Teacher - Jack Sheffield - Read!

5) The Tea Rose - Jennifer Donnelly (recommended by DanC!) - Reading! :)

6) Dear Teacher - Jack Sheffield

7) Wildfire - Nelson DeMille

8) The Time Travellers Wife - Audrey Niffenegger

9) Tuesdays with Morrie - Mitch Albom

10) Keeping the Dead - Tess Gerritsen

11) The Book Thief - Markus Zusak

12) The Point of Rescue - Sophie Hannah

13) The Other Side of The Dale - Gervase Phinn (recommended by Chesilbeach!)

14) The Brass Verdict - Michael Connelly

15) The Bodies Left Behind - Jeffery Deaver

16) The Guilded Seal - James Twining

17) The Betrayed - David Hosp

18) Innocence - David Hosp

Well I've fished 'Dark Harbour' by David Hosp and actually really enjoyed it! I've not heard of him before so I will definitely checking out some more of his books.

:lol:

Edited by Melisa

• 8 months later...