Should one pay attention to fanfiction?

Glowmay

Aren't most writers these days curbing fanfiction with copyrights? I'd heard there's been trouble and lawsuits. I've never read fan fiction simply because I've never sought it out.

I think most writers (and TV/film execs etc) are happy to leave fan fiction (and fan films etc) be, provided the person making them isn't seeking to make commercial gain out of them.

Take Rowling, for example; she has said a number of times that she doesn't have a problem with fan fiction, but she did go to court to stop someone making money out of an unauthorised encyclopaedia last year.

I think as long as you make it clear what you are doing isn't for profit, you will be okay.

I've read a lot of HP fanfiction over the years, way too much. It's true that there are a lot of great stories in there, equally true that most of it is rubbish. But mostly, I've found it pathetically addictive. But I'm over it now, haven't thought of it for months.

Very true! I think you just have to approach fanfiction with a different mindset than a normal book. It's like Youtube vs. regular television. Most YouTube videos are boring and stupid :) but if you find good people and follow good recommendations you can find some great, entertaining stuff.

I think maybe 3 or 4 times ever I've thought, "Wow, this is good enough to be published if the HP references were removed." 99% of the time fanfiction doesn't warrant serious consideration, but it's a fun distraction if you have the time for it :motz:

• 4 weeks later...

99% of the time fanfiction doesn't warrant serious consideration, but it's a fun distraction if you have the time for it :lol:

I've never knowingly read fan-fiction, however I am willing to do ANYTHING to avoid writing this assignment on rural economies (:tong::friends0::razz:) so I'm off to check it out!

• 6 months later...

Thought i would start a thread on what i imagine is quite a 'controversial' topic.

Ever been on FanFiction or any other site like it, where anybody can use established characters from any book and write new storylines for them. Even changing the basic make-up of said characters.

I have enjoyed reading some 'FanFics' (especially if the writer has changed the events in the story to go the way i would have liked!) and also loathed some of the drivell i have come across.

oppinions please people - and reccomendations if you have any :D

Edited by Michelle
merged with existing thread about this subject

Some can be fantastic, others not so good. However, I've read some good ones and I do think it's a good chance for people that struggle with ideas to try to get their teeth into actually writing some good stuff, without worrying about characters.

yeah thats kinda how i feel - i even had a go at doing one myself. I never actually put it on the site but i was weirdly proud of it once i'd done it. It didn't really feel like stealing characters or anything because i had changed the story so much and yes it was easier than establishing my own characters because fans of the characters i had wrote about would have already known the background to said characters - so the hard work had already been done for me.

It did get me stuck in a lazy rutt though and i struggled to come up with my own stuff for a bit afterwards. My characters didnt seem to compare to the 'best-selling' ones...:D

As with anything, there are extremes in fan fiction. The shallow sex fic is mostly poorly written and twists characters into situations so absurd that the work barely counts as writing. However, I found (by sheer accident) an amazing Babylon 5 tale which runs to hundreds of pages (possibly thousands - I never managed to find the time to complete reading it) by Gareth David Williams. There are (I think) six zip files full of text. It really is an amazing feat of writing, and is still on my hard drive.

I'd never heard of fan-fiction until I joined the BCF. I went off in search of it and spent a few hours reading pretty bad stories, vowing never to return to it again......and I haven't. Unfortunately I never found the good stuff, but I agree with Ben. It can be a creative outlet for those who don't really know where to start. :D

I've been reading a lot of McFly (Slash) Fan Fiction recently and some of the stuff is just amazing. I think I love it so much cause it's just so easy to imagine it happen. Sadly there is a lot of rubbish out there, but if you've found some good writers it is a really nice thing to enjoy. Some of them are also absolutely hilarious and make me laugh so much it's ridiculous :irked: