Libraries, then and now

I grew up in the UK but moved to the States many years ago. Based on cruising the web, libraries in the UK have certainly changed over the years since I've been gone. Memories of my old local library are dusty tomes on dust-covered shelves, stern librarians who disliked kids, and a general sense of doom and gloom. It was so unpleasant, I rarely went, even though I was an avid reader.

The library where I live (small town in Connecticut) just had a major facelift, but from what I'm hearing, it's not a patch on some of the UK's libraries.

Anyone care to weigh in with their library's good (and bad) points?

I feel really lucky to live in an area with a great library system. I've saved so much money by going to the library. I go to get children's books for work, CD's so I can update my iPod, DVD's and even magazines. I don't know what I'd do without my libraries.

We also have cd`s, dvd`s, newspapers and magazines on offer. There are puzzles and games in the children`s area, to help keep the little ones amused when they`ve finished looking at the books. Homework club, where youngsters can get help and support researching and working on topics and general school work. There are computers with internet access for a small charge, and help for those who need it. There are even weekly sessions for babies and toddlers with Baby Boogie, (action songs and story telling)

The library has most definately changed! :lol:

Sadly, the funding for libraries has been severely cut in recent years in the UK. Despite this my own local library is open much longer hours than it used to be and seems to keep going. I can't say that I use it that much to be honest, apart from the reference section from time to time, and to get information on walks around the area and so on for the newsletter that I edit.

From what I have seen they have a good selection of books, CD's, DVD's etc, and the computer terminals are always busy.

I don't use libraries anymore. I'm not sure why, I just don't like them. I hate my college library. As a child, I loved my local public library - I loved library cards, little pink cards with the names on that they took out and put into a cardboard case when I checked a book out, and the date stamp they printed on the book. These days it's *click click scan* "Here you go".

In my college library, understandably you need to scan a student card to get through the turnstile, then theres one machine with scanners to take out a book, and another with a large conveyer belt to return them. You never deal with a person, ever, unless you have a problem.

I just don't like that. Much as I like old books, I like old libraries. I hate what technology is doing to them.

We have to take books to a person at the check out desk to take them out, and then return them to a person at the returns desk when returning, but I agree, lots of technology these days, but it must be easier for the librarians. We can get cd's, dvd's etc as well, the one problem I have with our library is that books are a bit scattered, but I don't really use it that often anyway tbh.

I would be absolutely lost without my local library. Not only am I a member of the reading group which meets monthly - more or less the only chance I get to talk face to face with other people about books - but I also rely on it for audio books on CD for my Dad. When he's in the house on his own, he often gets fed up with television, but is quite happy to listen to a book. He prefers the unabridged versions, and gets through about 3 each month, and the library charges

I am a big friend of my local library as well.. I just found out today that they even have children's computer games you can borrow.

In the last few years, they haven't had enough funding, and quite frankly it has been hard to find anything to read, at least when it comes to new books. But just this year, they had a contribution from a fund to buy literature, plus that to be eligible for that contibution it meant that the town also had to set aside a certain minimum amount of funds to buy books, and this is planned to go on for several years now. And it was visible immediately, they've made some good decisions on what books to buy.

And they have CD's, DVD's, computers with internet access that you can use, magazines, cozy reading chairs, anything you might need actually.

My local library has computers with internet for free for up to an hour. There's also a wireless connection point so you can bring in your laptop and have free internet connection for as long as the library is open. It opens til 7pm weekdays and even half day on sunday afternoon. You have a choice of sitting on the comfy sofas, armchairs, desks etc. There's the study room, Art gallery, children's library room and teen corner. Like most libraries these days you have dvd rentals, music cds, homework clubs, book clubs and other social clubs. There's even a little caf

I miss my local library back home in Alabama so much, and even the one I used when we lived in Manhattan. My old library used to have both electronic check-out and the traditional "personal" check-out. You could pick whichever you wanted. You could also come back in to renew books in person, or could renew online up to two times (as long as the book wasn't on reserve.) Same went for reserving books... You could do this online, receive a notification when the book was ready for pick-up, which was usually fast due to inter-library loan.

With books, large-print books, cds, dvds, magazines, internet usage, and a huge reference section, it didn't lack anything that I could want. I even drove an hour to get there from my college campus, because it was superior to the libraries at my university.

I miss it!

I can't complain about the New York Public Libraries, they have varied materials. The main library in Manhattan is the mecca, but I don't usually go there. I don't usually stay in the library to look around. I order the books on line and go to one of the small branches near my job to pick it up. The Library in my neighborhood is OK, not the best, but not the worst. They have computers set up and WiFi stations now. They also have classes throughout the year. So I suppose I am pretty happy with the system.

The county I live in has many libraries, and one of the large ones is right by work so it's easy for me to go there. I don't check out a ton of books, but use it more for the free wireless hookup (since I don't have internet at home), scanning photos and I do check out the occasional book on tape. The big library downtown has a great genealogy section that I use, but they charge an obscene amount of $$ for parking and that annoys me. Oh, and I love going to the state historical society library. They have a ton of stuff in their collection and it really helps in my tree research.

I live close to two branches of the public library. Both are meant to be a local library, while the big library is in the city center. I loved my local branch when I was younger, and I remember most kids did. Even now the two branches focus on children a lot, but they don't just do books. Oh, no.

There's storytelling, reading from books, family days, youth corner (where teens pick the books). There's music and films, magazines... computer access. Both branches do regular topic tables - books about a war, a person, a genre, for readers.

The libraries also organise reading-help - recruiting booklovers who do volunteer work by reading at hospitals, homes for the elderly and ill and generally where people can't read themselves.

I still like going there once in a while and get some book advice, but generally the local branches don't have that much of a supply. But - you can order whatever you like and have them delivered to you local branch. That is something I really like.

It's great to browse the big libraries as well.

What I love about UK libraries is that they pay the author a small royalty every time his/her book is checked out. An infinitesmal amount, to be sure, but in these economic times, every little bit helps.

Not so in the US, where I live. Authors receive a standard royalty, once, from each library when it buys the book; after that, nothing at all.

To my disappointment, though, I won't, as a non-UK-resident, receive any royalties from UK libraries when my novel (to be published this June) is checked out, even though I'm a National Insurance Card-carrying UK citizen.

To my disappointment, though, I won't, as a non-UK-resident, receive any royalties from UK libraries when my novel (to be published this June) is checked out, even though I'm a National Insurance Card-carrying UK citizen.

That stinks - I am not sure how it works the other way around.

On a lighter note, I remember reading the story of an author who was said to have marched his entire extended family to the library three or four times a year to borrow every copy of his book on the shelves so that he could increase his income from PLR!

Sounds like a good idea! I have never earned a penny from it myself, mostly because they do not include the libraries that I am stocked in in the annual sample - Surrey is included this year though, so I might be lucky yet ! I would still rather people borrow my book from the library than lend their copy to friends ...

Edited by Talisman

I live close to two branches of the public library. Both are meant to be a local library, while the big library is in the city center. I loved my local branch when I was younger, and I remember most kids did. Even now the two branches focus on children a lot, but they don't just do books. Oh, no.

There's storytelling, reading from books, family days, youth corner (where teens pick the books). There's music and films, magazines... computer access. Both branches do regular topic tables - books about a war, a person, a genre, for readers.

The libraries also organise reading-help - recruiting booklovers who do volunteer work by reading at hospitals, homes for the elderly and ill and generally where people can't read themselves.

I still like going there once in a while and get some book advice, but generally the local branches don't have that much of a supply. But - you can order whatever you like and have them delivered to you local branch. That is something I really like.

It's great to browse the big libraries as well.

My local library's packed when it comes to story telling. There's a crowd of push chairs just outside the children's library at this time that you have to swerve pass sometimes. I think they'll have to do something about pushchair parking soon as the crowd is getting bigger.

I used to enjoy visiting the library but recent outings have changed all that. Badly behaved children running amok. Parents who don't give a damn. Staff who won't challenge any sort of bad behaviour. Homeless people who could really use a bath. Coughing, spluttering, with no attempt to use a handkerchief. Mobile phones, conversations held AT NORMAL VOLUME. And now I hear that libraries are planning to introduce piped background music to relax customers!!

Ah, good old internet and online shopping. You'll keep me safe from modern Britain!

I love my local library, I've even written a small piece about it on my blog. They spent quite a large amount of money refurbishing it a few years ago and, personally, I think it was money well spent, it's now one of the ten most popular libraries in the country - not bad for a small Lancashire town!

There are 3 floors comprising -

Reference Library

Computer Room where access to the internet is free

Another small Computer Room where they have free computer courses (I help out there as a volunteer occasionally)

Local History books and microfiche

Newspaper Reading Room

Prayer Room

Separate Childrens Library

Various rooms for seminars, and different authors visit every month to talk (went last week to hear Steven McLaughlin talk about his book Squaddie and hubby ended up buying the book)

Playstation where kids play games on there - in a corner where you can't really hear them

Plasma TV showing Sky Sports near the CD's and DVD's

Comfy chairs to sit and read

Good selection of audiobooks, I think they're 50p for 3 weeks

Machines for checking out but there are plenty of staff around if you don't like using the technology

Open 7 days a week

Oh, and lots of books!

I could probably go on but I think you get the idea :)

I go in every week, it's like my second home!

Carole

I have a library about 5 minutes away from my house and from the outside it looks like the place I would enjoy spending time in. Really old looking, seems to have character. But, I have never been there. I think I might pop down this afternoon actually. Something to do.

Does anyone know if in the UK you have to pay to use the local libraries or does it vary?

You don't need to pay to use the library in the UK, unless you take your books back late ofcourse and end up getting late fees of which I am very guilty of.

I have learnt over the years I'm not a great lender, I'm a hoarder and always end up getting fines. :lol:

I actually have one now for my uni library

I'm very impressed with our local library,it was completley refurbished about 2 years ago and its fantastic. There are about 20 computers with internet access that you can use for free for up to an hour at a time,also babies/toddler corner where there is storytelling time every few hours,can also rent DVD's,magazines,newspapers etc.. Also a toddler playgroup every Tuesday and Thursday,which I bring my little girl to.

I don't use libraries anymore. I'm not sure why, I just don't like them. I hate my college library. As a child, I loved my local public library - I loved library cards, little pink cards with the names on that they took out and put into a cardboard case when I checked a book out, and the date stamp they printed on the book. These days it's *click click scan* "Here you go".

In my college library, understandably you need to scan a student card to get through the turnstile, then theres one machine with scanners to take out a book, and another with a large conveyer belt to return them. You never deal with a person, ever, unless you have a problem.

I just don't like that. Much as I like old books, I like old libraries. I hate what technology is doing to them.

Same here. I don't really like the current system either. One of the reasons is also how a bookcover is always ruint because the scan info has to be put on it, so you can't always read everything that's written on that side. But I must admit, it is easier to use. My children just love it.

But I too miss my childhood library with it's own system back then. We never had any grumpy librarians in that library, they were always friendly and always willing to help you. I liked the way the books were organised. Very often there were more books than the available space, so they just made room for them somewhere. It was almost systematicaly unorganised, if that makes sense, that was one of the charms of that library. And the librarians could always find every single book in the library, no matter where it was. Now that library doesn't excist anymore.

We have this nice huge building now where you can find most books. The system is much better, you can order books even from libraries in other countries in Europe, if they don't have them in Holland. Yet, it doesn't really feel like a library to me. I used to get so excited whenever I went to the library in my childhood. It was like a day out for me. I looked forward to going to the library, even days ahead. Could spend the whole day there. It felt like home.

But nowadays, the current library doesn't even feel like a library. There are too many things which have nothing to do with a library, for example, games so children can make noice while playing them although you are in a library (!), a television (! in a library !). It doesn't even have the look of a library to me. In it's attempt to be of this time, to appeal to the people of this time, and the future, it's gone beyond being a library which is what it's main purpose was supposed to be.