Howards End by E.M.Forster

Dimitra

I loved this book, although there was quite a lot of tragedy in it, EM Forster manages to infuse humour into it as well. If you enjoyed this, I'm sure you would enjoy Room With A View, quite light-hearted and funny but again dealing with the interaction between the different classes in England in the early 20th century.

I agree Gyre :irked: I think what I like about his books are that his characters are so alive and you really get to like them. The movies of these books were just so high-class too, with such great actors as Maggie Smith, Emma Thompson, Helena Bonham-Carter, Anthony Hopkins ...you just can't go wrong.

I agree Gyre :irked: I think what I like about his books are that his characters are so alive and you really get to like them. The movies of these books were just so high-class too, with such great actors as Maggie Smith, Emma Thompson, Helena Bonham-Carter, Anthony Hopkins ...you just can't go wrong.

Do you think I would like the books. You have a handle on what some of my reading likes are.

Actually, I'm not entirely sure Muggles. They are very English, dealing a lot with English manners and class divisions in the early 1900's. Without meaning to be sexist, they may appeal more to females. But nothing ventured ...you know :irked: Give one a go, 50 pages or so should give you a good idea if you're going to like it or not.

Do you think I would like the books. You have a handle on what some of my reading likes are.

You can read Howard's End on Google books (books.google.com). I know lots of people aren't keen on reading from a screen, but if you don't want to buy it straight away, maybe just read the first few pages or the first chapter and see how you get on, and if you like it, you know it'll be worth buying the book to read. ;)

I've read both Howard's End and Room with a View, they are beautifully written and witty. I was actually introduced to these novels by my boyfriend, so I think both sexes can enjoy these books. The films are great too and I've watched them several times.

I read Maurice fairly recently. I probably enjoyed it least of the E.M.Forster books I have read, not because of the subject matter, which was handled well, but I somehow did not find the characters particularly likeable. Perhaps I'm just out of my depth with high-brow academia. I became rather bored with the long-winded conversations.

Did you enjoy it Ravenwood? (you're allowed to disagree :))

• 2 months later...
I have to admit, I only read this because it was a requirement of me for A-level English and I hated it. Boring middle class women who didn't have much to do.

It wasn't an easy book really. Truth is I don't think they were allowed to do much anyway.:lol: