Star Trek & Stargate (& other Sci-Fi)

Nollaig

• Replies 262
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It's easy enough to break free of the original universe canon, just set the new series a hundred or so years in the future. The technology, political situation and settings can all be new, and they can keep the bits they want to that still work.

I just hope they don't try to turn it into an action series; that works for Trek on the large screen, but it's not what the TV series was about.

I thought the announcement was big of pushing the fact that the new series will be on a streaming service, and almost non-existant on Star Trek info. It does make me worry that any new series will be there just to garner a buzz about the streaming service and not necessarily be that good.

Maybe I'm just pessimistic - it could be great!

Either way, I don't have the time, patience or money to subscribe to multiple streaming channels just for one potentially good programme, so I'll wait till it gets shown on a UK terrestrial channel or Sky.

I have no interest in a new Star Trek series. I love TNG and DS9, Voyager is grand if there's nothing else on and Enterprise was atrocious (apart from the stunning intro sequence). The films are okay, but they're big block buster action films, and don't really have any of what makes TNG and DS9 Star Trek, for me.

• 6 months later...

This afternoon I watched Jodorowsky's Dune, a documentary about Alejandro Jodorowsky's doomed film adaptation of Frank Herbert's Dune. It was a huge project, involving several high profile artists such as Salvador Dalí, Orson Welles and Pink Floyd. I think the film wouldn't be that good, because they were focused on hiring celebrities instead of actors, and Jodorowsky seemed to want everything in such a scale that I believe it couldn't possibly be achieved. However, the concept art is gorgeous; I'm particularly fond of Chris Foss's spaceships, but Jean Giraud and H.R. Giger's drawings were really cool as well. I would gladly buy the artbook, if there were one available.

• 2 months later...

Wow, a ship whose saucer section ACTUALLY finally looks like a pizza cutter.

Part of me wants to get giddy with excitement about this new show, but realistically I'm not holding my breath. There's been two shows and new movies since Star Trek stopped being good, imo. Don't see why a new show would change that.

Prove me wrong, Bryan Fuller's Star Trek!

Star Trek Discovery - trailer. 

Hmm, not sure. It looks a bit clunky ?  :blush2:

Yeah, but more so, it looks cheap.

It isn't like the technology isn't available to make it more realistic.  I know the original ST was, in retrospect a bit cheesy, but otoh, it tackled the themes that were way ahead of its time.  the technology simply wasn't available back in the 1960's to do much more with that aspect.  These guys have no excuse.

Apparently, the design is a copy of a planned design from Star Trek: Phase 2 (the planned tv series in the 70s which turned into the first ST movie in 1979). Although we're not supposed to know that, apparently. ;)

Really ? I did not know that. Hmm. Couldn`t the designers have rummaged about for a newer design, instead of one they`d already rejected ??  :giggle:

Wow, a ship whose saucer section ACTUALLY finally looks like a pizza cutter.

Part of me wants to get giddy with excitement about this new show, but realistically I'm not holding my breath. There's been two shows and new movies since Star Trek stopped being good, imo. Don't see why a new show would change that.

Prove me wrong, Bryan Fuller's Star Trek!

:giggle:  :giggle:

I'm a bit miffed its only going to be on Netflix! I'm a ST fan and have enjoyed most of the series - much of the last series, Enterprise were far better than given credit for. I'll see how good the series trailers are when they've made a bit more than a teaser trailer. :) Whether I'll pay for Netflix or not, I don't know.

AXN did a Star Trek marathon on Friday, starting with the old ones in the morning and finishing with Nemesis I think (that was the last movie with Picard right?). I sat through all of them since I was sick and had nothing to do at home (well except reading) and I was quite surprised to see how cheesy the special effects were. Not that I mind but there is a huge difference between these movie and the new ones. Still, they were enjoyable. 

I am not sure if I want to see the new movie in cinemas but I might go at least for the visuals. 

In other news, happy 30th to one of my fav SF movies ever: Aliens. How I wish cinemas here would run the movie at least a few days or a week so I can see it again in all its glory. Sadly, I barely see movies from my own country here. Not much is played unless it's a new Hollywood production. 

I was quite surprised to see how cheesy the special effects were. Not that I mind but there is a huge difference between these movie and the new ones. Still, they were enjoyable. 

I am not sure if I want to see the new movie in cinemas but I might go at least for the visuals. 

The former might have something to do with the fact that Nemesis is 14 years old, and the others all slightly to much older than that.

The latter - the day Star Trek actually becomes about visuals will be the day the spirit of the show dies a slow, painful death.

The special effects have not aged well though. That's not really an issue if you enjoy the show but it might put people off. It's a shame really since the movies aren't that bad actually. I like the idea behind the show and I saw some episode of it too (even saw the old animated one back when I was a kid) but never got really into it. Then again, I rarely get into SF shows (kind of strange since SF is my fav genre when it comes to movies) or any kind of show in general. 

I remember many people complaining when the new movie out in 2009, from CGI to script and characters and the "spirit of the show" that you mention but It was still good for non trekies. 

I think Pixie said it best when she said 'the best episodes changed minds'. I was never a fan of the original series, but for me growing up (The Next Generation began airing the year I was born), I think watching it influenced me greatly. Picard was a role model for me, as was Data, all through my childhood and teen years, and even now I get a bit teary watching The Measure of a Man or The Inner Light. Anyone who goes into the show (or movies) concerned about visuals is not going into it with the right attitude, and honestly it's their loss. Yes, I'm very passionate about TNG particularly, and also DS9, even Voyager to an extent. Generations is a movie I still watch every Christmas time - I dunno why it's a Christmas film to me but it is.

The new films were good for non Trekkies, and if they got people to watch the older shows and like them, fantastic. All for that. But to me, if you strip something of its defining characteristics, then you're just stamping a familiar name on something new to make money. Or you're doing what Sandy did at the end of Grease, which is about the worst life lesson I've ever seen in a famous piece of entertainment in my life.

I think I might go watch some TNG.

This discussion has made me think about how much I've loved star trek over the years ; voyager having a female captain - the wonderful kate mulgrew - meant a lot to me. Fingers crossed that the new show creates some controversy, in a good way.

Off to see which of the st people are on Twitter,etc. :)

This discussion has made me think about how much I've loved star trek over the years ; voyager having a female captain - the wonderful kate mulgrew - meant a lot to me.

I don't view Voyager as being on par with its predecessors on any level - except the Captain. Janeway, and not just with her gender, though that was an important aspect, was fantastic. As was Seven of Nine, actually. She was basically Voyager's Data, and in both cases, the Captain and the non/semi-human were the strongest and most interesting characters.