Lesser Known Bands/Singers

Fionen

What is your favorite band or singer that most people don't know about?

Mine is Revis. One of their songs, Caught In The Rain, was played on the radio a few years ago and I was hooked. I haven't heard any of their music on the radio since. I've never met anyone else that knows who they are.

Wikipedia says they disbanded in 2005 and a few members moved onto other bands: Aujalyn and The Yelling.

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I love Sara & Tegan. Their song "Walking With a Ghost" is one of my all-time favorites!!

Oops, make that Tegan & Sara...got the order of the names wrong.

Edited by Echo
cuz I'm dumb

Jack's Mannequin. I believe Andrew McMahon calls it piano punk rock - it's pretty easy listening, kinda emo, but all about the pianos in sorta the same way Keane are. Andrew has a very distinctive style though.

Amazing band. Wish they would play the UK.

Jump, Little Children - amazing band. Their song 'Cathedrals' will resonate with probably anybody who listens to it. Again, pretty easy listening.

Semisonic - had one hit with 'Secret Smile' - otherwise an amazing band also. Check out 'Closing Time' in particular. They're also easy listening hehe!

Edited by Nollaig

Third Eye Blind don't seem to be well known, but they're awesome! :irked:

They're very well-known over here, but they haven't been popular for a few years now.

Bit like the Goo Goo Dolls! They are, or were, huge in the US, or so I'm told, but everyone here only knows the one song, Iris! (And not their best song by a long shot!) Still, they come to Ireland on nearly an annual basis and I've seen them twice so far in a small uncrowded venue (where I was less than 6 feet from Johnny both times), so I'm happy for them to stay unknown!

Third Eye Blind hasn't come out with anything since the late 90's. I know Semisonic's "Closing Time": that was their only hit here in the US. Jack's Mannequin is huge over here too as well as the Goo Goo Dolls haha

Everyone should check out Matthew Good Band and him as a soloist now. AMAZING :irked: He and his band are Canadian and haven't seem to spread anywhere else but everyone should listen because he and his band are amazing, even though he's solo now. (he's still amazing solo as well!) I will gladly send anybody songs but I know tons of his videos are on youtube! haha (some suggestions: weapon, the fine art of falling apart, apparitions, strange days, odette, 99% of us is failure, giant, i the throw away, 21st century living, load me up, running from home, whispering in the dark, house of smoke and mirrors) that should keep everyon busy :) ENJOY :(

also a few other bands that everyone might not of heard of: fleet foxes, adem, midlake, big wreck, pinback and i would hope you guys have heard of kings of leon, but if not check em outtt!

Never knew Jack's Mannequin were huge in the US, nobody's heard of them here. Nobody's heard of Something Corporate, either. It's crazy.

Semisonic never had a hit here with Closing Time, just with Secret Smile (which is their best song by miles.)

Another good band, I actually don't know how well known they are: Del Amitri, particularly the song 'Nothing Ever Happens' - epic.

I miss Third Eye Blind.. wish they'd do some new stuff.

Quite a few of my favorite artists are relatively unknown.. The Megan Slankard Band is pretty unknown, and I only found out about her because she was a nominated contestant once on a show over here called "What Not to Wear."

Alana Davis is a little more well known, as is Keri Noble, but neither is considered huge on any scene to my knowledge.

Dream Theater - they're pretty big all over the world, but they don't seem to be all that well-known over here. Although their British concert dates are always sell-out shows - it's like ALL the UK fans cram in together and that's all of them - LOL!

Concrete Blonde - another rock band that are/were pretty big in the USA. I first noticed them when I saw Pump Up the Volume as they did a cover of Leonard Cohen's Everybody Knows on the soundtrack and I loved it.

I know! Like even Andrew's voice is so different, in Corporate it was sorta nasal and more smooth at times, and in Mannequin it's all rough and off key at times and so on, it's brilliant :irked:

The newest Mannequin album is amazing. It's just so different, and so much more adult in it's lyrical content. It's awesome to see the journey he's made from talented kid in a garage to fully fleged music artist. Emphasis on the 'artist'.

'You gotta swim; swim for your life,

Swim for the music that saves you when you're not so sure you'll survive.'

<3

I've made a new resolution.

I'm taking a year out to work coz I'm broke, and originally I wanted to do a tiny bit of travelling at the end, but what I'm now going to do is, next summer, find a Jack's date playing nearest the east coast, and go to a gig, alone if I have to. I've always wanted to see him play, and what better time than when I'm young and have no real obligations with money?

I'm always looking for new bands, so thanks for the great thread, Fionen! I've already seen some names on here I really need to check out. I'm so tired of radio, and know there are some excellent lesser-known bands out there just waiting for me to discover :blush:.

I don't know if these two are together anymore, but I used to love listening to Fleming and John. They had a great song called 'Ugly Girl' that was hilarious! I also like Bob Mould and his old band Sugar. I just discovered Bishop Allen, and I love The Black Keys.

I totally remember Concrete Blonde from back in the 90's! Excellent band. Also Del Amitri, man, I used to love their song Roll to Me! Good memories...

Semisonic - had one hit with 'Secret Smile' - otherwise an amazing band also. Check out 'Closing Time' in particular. They're also easy listening hehe!

I love Semisonic!

Third Eye Blind don't seem to be well known, but they're awesome! :blush:

Third Eye Blind are great, Janet

Mine are:

, Glass Tiger,

I'm always looking for new bands, so thanks for the great thread, Fionen! I've already seen some names on here I really need to check out.

Welcome. :D I've also been checking out the bands listed. I've found a few that I haven't heard of and really love.

I love Tegan & Sara. Their song "Walking With a Ghost" is one of my all-time favorites!!

I think it was Grey's Anatomy that introduced me to Tegan & Sara. I only have one song of theirs "Where Does the Good Go". I'll have to listen to their other songs. :17:

Alana Davis is a little more well known, as is Keri Noble, but neither is considered huge on any scene to my knowledge.

I listened to some Keri Noble and love her!

Mine are:
, Glass Tiger,

Our Lady Peace is one of my favorite bands. :)

Jack's Mannequin. I believe Andrew McMahon calls it piano punk rock - it's pretty easy listening, kinda emo, but all about the pianos in sorta the same way Keane are. Andrew has a very distinctive style though.

There are two songs in my playlist by Something Coporate: I Woke Up In A Car and Punk Rock Princess. I had no idea that the singer moved onto Jack's Mannequin. I've never even heard of that band. I listened to them the other night and they are awesome. Thanks for the tip! :blush:

I Woke Up In A Car is an amazing song isn't it? You should check out more Corporate stuff too, anything on the North album is excellent.

As for Jack's Mannequin - I KNOW! :D And welcome! :17: Everything In Transit is the first album, and is still semi-Corporate but with a new, rawer twist. Then, The Glass Passenger is the newest offering and it's really a whole new ballpark. Personally, I would recommend: "The Mixed Tape", "Dark Blue" and "Kill The Messenger" from Everything In Transit, and "Swim", "Caves" and "Lullaby" from The Glass Passenger (although for something more upbeat either "The Resolution" or "Bloodshot" work great.

Sorry, I'm getting ahead of myself :blush:

He's my favourite music artist though. :)

I don't know of anyone else who knows Eluveite or Amateur Transplants yet.

I know Eluveitie are from Switzerland and played Bloodstock and no one really knew who they were until they started playing and everyone loved them. They play folk metal and on one album have four tracks which are folk instrumentals. My mum heard me listening to them and made me transfer them to her laptop :blush:

Amateur transplants use the music of well known bands but put their own funny lyrics to them. They are very funny, my boyfriend listens to them constantly, he introduced them to me. He never stops laughing when they are on. My fave of their new stuff is Masochism Tango!