Which books really scare you?

Michelle

If we accept that a book does not have to be that good in order to scare one, then The Amityville Horror takes the top spot for me. I do not rate it highly in terms of quality, but it is easy to imagine oneself going through the experiences of the family in the book. Jodie the Pig still gives me the heebie-jeebies.

If we accept that a book does not have to be that good in order to scare one, then The Amityville Horror takes the top spot for me. I do not rate it highly in terms of quality, but it is easy to imagine oneself going through the experiences of the family in the book. Jodie the Pig still gives me the heebie-jeebies.

Got to agree with that one - I was so scared that I wouldn't even have the book on my bookcase in my bedroom at night! ( I was 19 at the time!) :welcome:

I found Jodie the Pig disturbing and nothing really affects me

Eek yes - and the beedy red eyes at the window! :welcome:
That sequence was far more effective in the book than in the film. In the book, it is the dad, standing in the garden near the car, that sees the apparition of the pig behind his daughter at the upstairs bedroom window. In the movie, it is the mother, as she goes to close the bedroom window from the inside.

In the book, it is the dad, standing in the garden near the car, that sees the apparition of the pig behind his daughter at the upstairs bedroom window.

He can see a pig through an upstairs window when he's downstairs? It must either be a very large pig or it can fly! :welcome: Either way, sounds scary :006:

He can see a pig through an upstairs window when he's downstairs? It must either be a very large pig!
I cannot recall the exact sequence of events, but on the night in question, the dad would have gone downstairs to the car parked in the drive from where he can see his little daughter's bedroom window upstairs. As he looks up, he sees his daughter quietly standing at the window staring at him but behind her, he sees the apparition of a huge pig also staring at him.