Manga

Fionen

Are there any other manga/manwha fans here?

I usually stick to shojo manga. Right now I'm reading Othello by Satomi Ikezawa.

My favorite all time manga is Please Save My Earth by Saki Hiwatari. The drawings aren't that great at first but as the series goes on they become fantastic. It's about Japanese high-schoolers that dream of their past lives and how it changes them and their relationships. It's really interesting.

Some of my other favorites are The Demon Ororon by Hakase Mizuki and Peach Girl by Miwa Ueda.

What are you reading right now? What are your favorites?

I've never read any manga but it's something I've always been intrigued by. OH likes manga and anime. He probably has some graphic novels I could borrow lying around somewhere - once I've got my own TBR under control that is.

I've never read anything Korean. Most of what I've read is the basis for some anime or other, actually. Rozen Maiden and Death Note would be two of my favourites (both manga and anime), but the best in my opinion is Angel Sanctuary. That was adapted only into one OVA, and never completed. But the manga is superb, and the artwork is beautiful. I have a hardback colour artbook based on the series too, and it's amazing.

Only other manga I've read is Battle Royale - I saw the movie, and read the book, figured I may as well go for all three mediums! I have to admit, I actually thought the manga style suited the story best. Live action movie couldn't quite capture the crazy Japanese-ness of it, the book didn't capture any of the bloody violence. An anime would have done well too, I think. But I suppose a lot of what is enjoyable about Battle Royale is the serious tone in it. Hmm.

I've got some manga books, but they are mainly based on well known franchise such as Star Trek, World of Warcraft and Cowboy Bebop.

The Star Trek book I have is pretty good, but I've never seen any of the follow ups in the shops. As I've said on my reading blog the Warcraft ones were pretty dull - good artwork, but a poor story.

I have quite a few Manga films, but I don't know a huge amount about the genre.

I've never read any manga but it's something I've always been intrigued by.

Same. I'll probably start and try and get lost in it all sometime :D

Star Trek Manga?

The mind boggles.

shinseishinsei.jpg

It's basically three or four short stories illustrated by different artists, some were good some were not so good, but it's worth a read if you like Star Trek.

I've also recently seen some test footage from a Manga version of Doctor Who someone is doing, with the Third (Pertwee) Doctor, it looks very good, I'll see if I can find the link.

I'd like to read Cowboy Bebop because I really like the TV show! I've been intrigued by manga for a while, but haven't tried any.

They aren't bad, I have three or four volumes and they are very similar to the show, but they aren't easy to come by in the shops (I've only ever seem them in Boarders (I think) and The Forbidden Planet in London). You can probably get them online easily enough though!

The thing I like about manga over anime is that there are more details especially when it comes to character development. You can watch the anime and then read the manga and get so much more out of it. :) It's the same as turning a full-text book into a movie.

If I don't want to bother buying 20+ volumes of a manga that has mediocre ratings I'll watch the anime instead. I also tend to watch the anime of action themed stories rather than read the manga.

I agree, Angel Sanctuary has some of the most beautiful drawings I've ever seen. :yes:

I watched the Cowboy Bebop movie and have thought about getting into that series as well.

Just a warning to those wanting to try out manga. Check up on your series before buying. Some of them have the first book or two but were never finished. I've been really disappointed by a few unfinished series because they had so much potential.

These are the unfinished series I know of:

Desert Coral by Wataru Murayama

Honey Mustard by Ho-kyung Yeo

Saint Marie by Yang Yeo-Jin

Sweet & Sensitive by Park Eun-Ah

Witch Class by Lee Ru

There's a general thread about graphic books here, if that helps?

I saw that thread but they weren't talking about Asian graphic novels and I felt that I would be throwing it off-topic if I jumped in.

Edited by Fionen

It's basically three or four short stories illustrated by different artists, some were good some were not so good, but it's worth a read if you like Star Trek.

I've also recently seen some test footage from a Manga version of Doctor Who someone is doing, with the Third (Pertwee) Doctor, it looks very good, I'll see if I can find the link.

Hehe that is so awesome there are no words. Star Trek meets Japan. Oh dear. :) I love Star Trek. OMG they need to do a Stargate one! I'd pay to read that. Daniel Jackson in graphic art form - how cute!

I agree, Angel Sanctuary has some of the most beautiful drawings I've ever seen. :yes:

*Thumbs up* :D

On a side note, regarding anime:

If anybody wants a superb 25 minute intro to anime type things, check out something called 'Voices Of A Distant Star'. It's a bit sci-fi-ish, it's a bit romancey. It's basically about a girl who goes into deep space to fight a war, and her only communication with her best friend is via texts that take increasingly longer lengths of times (weeks, months, and then years) to reach him. It's very artsy, very heart-wrenching, and simply beautiful.

Edited by Nollaig

No no Daniel Jackson is cool i suppose, don't attack me :yes: But 'O Neil is a great character!

And, oh yeah! I remember you talking about that ages ago, i will definitely check it out, from what you've said it sounds very moving and a great story.

I watched the Cowboy Bebop movie and have thought about getting into that series as well.

I would heartily recommend the series, it is very good indeed.

Oi, you got a problem with Daniel Jackson?

Pish, who needs Daniel Jackson when you could have Rodney McKay?!

It's both. I love guys with long hair and glasses, but the fact that Daniel is a nerd who rambles all the time, is particularly specfic/logical/pedantic makes him hot even when he's got shorter hair. :yes: Loooooove him.