Costume Drama (that famous scene!)

Inver

Just watched the Mr Darcy and the lake scene....caw....Colin Firth at his best. Watching costume drama thing on ITV3.:smile2:

Upstairs Downstairs etc....there have been so many the BBC etc are so good at them.

I love costume dramas. At the moment i'm into Lark Rise to Candleford. And the BBC version of Pride and Predjudice with Colin Firth is by far the best! I love the gorgeous dresses and the men in the the suits!

Edited by Cadenza

They did actually say that Colin didn't actually do the diving into the lake himself though due to the studio regulations etc, but they did have him dive in a pool with a few weeds floating around and do a few strokes for the close up and then the drippy water walk, but who cares we can still enjoy the

wet shirt walk

hubba hubba;)

I love costume dramas. At the moment i'm into Lark Rise to Candleford. And the BBC version of Pride and Predjudice with Colin Firth is by far the best! I love the gorgeous dresses and the men in the the suits!

I've only recently watched the BBC version of P&P (I read the book first - the DVD was a freebie from a newspaper) and mmmmm - I've always liked Colin Firth so the lake scene was lovely.

Lark Rise to Candleford is my favourite thing on TV at the moment. I was pleased to hear this week that the BBC have commissioned series 3 - yay! :smile2:

Just watched the Mr Darcy and the lake scene....caw....Colin Firth at his best. Watching costume drama thing on ITV3.:smile2:

You started this thread just so you could talk about Colin Firth's wet shirt scene, didn't you?!?

Sounds like something I would do, really...

I love costume dramas. Then again, given my love of clothes, who's surprised?! *laughs* I hate Keira Knightly (sp?), but I still want to see The Duchess just for the outfits.

You started this thread just so you could talk about Colin Firth's wet shirt scene, didn't you?!?

Sounds like something I would do, really...

I love costume dramas. Then again, given my love of clothes, who's surprised?! *laughs* I hate Keira Knightly (sp?), but I still want to see The Duchess just for the outfits.

Well where did you get that idea:lol: It was a good programme actually. I forgot how many period/costume dramas had actually been on telly. Another they didn't show actually was D H Lawrence (Sean Bean as the gardner!!)...oops sorry digressing again.

Lark Rise to Candleford is my favourite thing on TV at the moment. I was pleased to hear this week that the BBC have commissioned series 3 - yay! :friends0:

Have to agree with you there Janet. I really look forward to this series. I'm delighted that a new series will be commissioned.

A year or so ago, I found a lovely little hardback copy of the book - it was printed in the early 30s and I got it for 75p, it really is a treasured possession. Beautifully written.

Loved Colin Firth as D'arcy. I couldn't get into the film at all (the one with Kiera Knightley) and thought the guy who played D'arcy was a real moody git!:irked: I may well have to bring out the BBC DVD again for a D'arcy moment:tong:

Sue - I quite fancy trying the books now, although I've heard good and bad things about them! I know the series is only 'based on' and not much of what happened in series 1 actually happened in the books so I'd have to try not to compare.

It's the season finale tonight. :) Still, at least with have S3 to look forward to.

I never understood the attraction to Colin Firth until VERY recently. I'd seen the wet shirt scene in question countless times out of context and it did nothing for me. Then I watched the series all the way through. By the time it got to the wet shirt scene I was already going "hubba hubba!" and that scene pretty much sent me over the edge into full-on Firth-worship! Somehow, in context the scene is far more effective. I think I'm in love with Mr Darcy just a little bit, but only when it's Colin playing him! :)

By the time it got to the wet shirt scene I was already going "hubba hubba!" and that scene pretty much sent me over the edge into full-on Firth-worship! Somehow, in context the scene is far more effective. I think I'm in love with Mr Darcy just a little bit, but only when it's Colin playing him! :)

I definitely have a crush on Colin's Mr Darcy too. Phwoar, not to put too fine a point on it! :)

I read the book before I saw the BBC adaptation, but was picturing Colin throughout as I knew he played Darcy!

Ooh I've just gone all giggly! I fell for Darcy when I read the book and then the beeb finished me off! Alas don't get a chance to see any of the more recent costumers as hubby's just not interested - so sad 'cos I hear Larkrise is great (as a completist I just can't jump in - from the first episode or not at all!)

Ooh I've just gone all giggly! I fell for Darcy when I read the book and then the beeb finished me off! Alas don't get a chance to see any of the more recent costumers as hubby's just not interested - so sad 'cos I hear Larkrise is great (as a completist I just can't jump in - from the first episode or not at all!)

That's a shame - although (are you UK based? Forgot to look*), Amazon have Series 1 for

Edited by Janet

I have a small picture on my wall at work of D'Arcy looking arrogant and moody (Colin Firth that is) and it makes my day really - good job no one has asked me to take it down.

Janet re Lark Rise, the book (books as there are 3 in one) are just delightful, more a story of how life was and literally wouldn't probably make good TV but with the dramatisations it has worked very well. I would recommend the book but forget the series.

I must admit I will feel empty now that the series has finished. I don't watch a lot of stuff that's on at the moment but I love ITV3 in the evening, they normally show a "Sherlock", "Poirot" or "Marple" . My favourite sort of fodder really, oh yes and Midsomer.:D

I remember telling my mother to watch that version of P&P with Colin Firth. She wasn't sure, but she loved it once she saw the whole thing. I am very much into the costume drama (period piece). I love watching Masterpiece Theater Classic Series (here in the states) because they tend to put some costume dramas on. Not enough for my taste though, I wish we got BBC America on my cable stations.

I also love a good costume drama, I haven't seen P&P though, looks like I should watch, it would appear that there are some excellent scenes in it!! :D

One of my fav dramas was the House Of Eliott, beautiful to look at, and nice and gentle without too many awful things happening.

I also love a good costume drama, I haven't seen P&P though, looks like I should watch, it would appear that there are some excellent scenes in it!! :D

Just make sure you get the one with Colin Firth and Jennifer Ehle. The best version in my opinion.

One of my fav dramas was the House Of Eliott, beautiful to look at, and nice and gentle without too many awful things happening.

The History Channel repeated series 1 and 2 in Jan/Feb, but for some reason they didn't show S3. :D