Travelling books

I've tried to look if there is already a thread asking the same question but so far I haven't come across it. Here goes anyhoo.....

For the last three years I have been back and forward between University and home as well as visiting my Grandma who lives further north than me. Everytime I visit either one I have a number of books I have to take with me everytime, similar to OCD, I need them to be around me.

I take a number of books practically anywhere I know I'll be for longer than a couple of days, these include:

Book of poems (can't remember the name, I forgot to pack it this trip *shock horror*)

The complete tales and poems of Edgar Allan Poe

at least 2 or 3 fiction books (This time its Boudica, A wild sheep chase and Franz Kafka collection.)

and any books I need for my work which is approx. 5 atm.

This may be silly as I know I may not even get a chance to read even one of them but the chance may occur so I take them all.

The drivers on the cambridge coach service must not appreciate me and my suitcases which can be quite heavy at times due to the amount of books I travel with. Lately I've had to put my own bag under the coach, I got a little paranoid thinking they must realise how heavy my bag will be and refuse to lift it :) hehe

anyway what I'd like to know is.........

Which books can you not live without?

Are there any books which you need to be in your presence/ house to feel relaxed?

Do you have any particular books which you have already read or are reference books which you continually take places?

How many books do you travel with, or take with you either on holiday abroad or somewhere other than home?

:lol::D:readingtwo:

(Hopefully someone will reply to this thread and my paranoia wont increase lol)

Edited by chrysalis_stage

Earthly Powers by Anthony Burgess. It's so ragged I had to re cover it!

If I travel to Hong Kong (have been twice) I always take a Nelson DeMille novel, Plum Island - I could not tell you why (I mean I genuinely couldn't, I have no idea!)

Brewer's Dictionary of Phrase and Fable - in fairly constant use, have two versions.

There are loads of books I would hate to lose, the list is long but only a handful that I would ache over losing!

Paranoia passed? :lol:

Wherever I live, I usually have my TBR pile with me, my favourites and books that I have enjoyed. When I came to Uni, I had about 50 books which I brought with me. That's now increased to 150+!

I wouldn't feel right without having my Noughts and Crosses series in my room. The only series that I do leave at home, is my Harry Potter's!

When I go on holiday, I usually take two books to be sure but I rarely do any reading on holiday so I never end up reading them.

I have OCD-ness about taking books with me on journeys or trips to places xD! It's kind of weird but i don't mind, people have stranger habits. I usually have to always have a Stephen King book such as 'The Shining', 'Misery' or 'IT' as those three are ones i re-read constantly. Then i'll always have two more of specific genres - fantasy and then more 'real'. I like variety. Then, i'll take even more books, whatever i fancy. It makes carrying things pretty heavy haha.

Ooh, to add, if I'm ever going home for the weekend, I always have to take two books with me. Even if I won't finish the first one, I need to have a second one, just in case I do!

:D

I'm the same :). It would be the end of the world for me if I finished a book and didn't have another to read. It happened to me once on holiday, but luckily my sister had a Harry Potter I could read.

If I'm going on holiday I take about 3 or 4 books with me, just in case I'm not in the mood to read my current book. And it's good to be prepared in case the holiday is :lol:.

I'm the same :lol:. It would be the end of the world for me if I finished a book and didn't have another to read.

Oh good, so I'm not the only one. :) I can't imagine not having a current book to read. The time between books is usually less than an hour. Any longer and I just feel a little lost. How sad is that. :D:cry2:

Oh good, so I'm not the only one. :lol: I can't imagine not having a current book to read. The time between books is usually less than an hour. Any longer and I just feel a little lost. How sad is that. :D:cry2:

It's not sad, I'm the same :D. There's nothing better than finishing a book then putting it back on the bookcase and picking up a new one :). I even carry a new book to read if I know I'm going to finish my current book soon, especially on bus journeys and at uni.

I don't have particular books I take with me everywhere, though I have loads I wouldn't want to lose.

When I go somewhere I always take a few books, the number depending of how long I'll be gone. And as I live in two places at the moment I have part of my books in each... My room wouldn't feel right without a proper bookcase :D

I have been thinking about this as well lately, with a possible move to Lundy for seven months looming. Normally when I go to the island I take around 2/3 books for each week that I am there.

I have been thinking about which books I would take me though for the seven months. There are certain non fiction books that I do use a lot for reference purposes:

Debbie Shapiro: Your Body Speaks Your Mind

Eckhart Tolle: A New Earth

a copy of The Bible (I am not religious, but do like to dip in and out of it for certain things)

Some of the Conversations with God books

Then there will be cook books, plus a bird and mushroom guide, writing books, plus of course my own one - I would have to take a copy of that with me. No doubt there would also be a stack of novels, all those in 'to be read' pile.

I have been thinking about this as well lately, with a possible move to Lundy for seven months looming. Normally when I go to the island I take around 2/3 books for each week that I am there.

Then there will be cook books, plus a bird and mushroom guide.

Oh no... your bag will be very heavy with enough books to last seven months and reference books too.

I too sometimes feel undecided whether to take my identification books with me places. They are so heavy though when you add them up. A bird book, wild-flower book, tree book, insect book, etc

Which books can you not live without?

My collection of Discworld novels by Terry Pratchett, also my Simon Scarrow collection and my Kelley Armstrong collection - I collect all their books and I couldn't possibly part with them. And my hardback copy of the complete, unabridged version of The Stand by Stephen King - I've read it about a dozen times and I love it!

Are there any books which you need to be in your presence/ house to feel relaxed?

See above! I rarely loan those books out to anyone (unless to someone I know will treat them like they're gold - LOL!) and I get a little antsy while they're away.

Do you have any particular books which you have already read or are reference books which you continually take places?

Not really - I always take something I've not yet read away with me.

How many books do you travel with, or take with you either on holiday abroad or somewhere other than home?

If I'm travelling anywhere, I usually take about half a dozen books with me from Mount TBR - even if I'm only going for a weekend - I might change my mind about what I want to read and wouldn't want to be without a decent choice! Also, if I fly anywhere or travel by train, I get a lot of reading done at the airport/station and also whilst travelling - don't want to risk running out of stuff to read!

I have also been known, however, to pick up an extra few books at the station/airport too - very naughty of me, I know!

I used to also load up my ipod with audio books, so that was at least another half dozen books right there too...

When I'm out and about I stick a paperback in my bag in case I'm stuck anywhere for 5 minutes or more with nothing to do. Whenever I'm meeting anyone, I'm a bit early, so I manage to get a chapter or so in while I wait for them to arrive. I usually just take whatever I'm currently reading, although if I'm only a couple of chapters from the end, I'll grab TWO new paperbacks - just in case I can't get into the first one I try. :)

I always take my collection of Harry Potter books with me, including the add ons...you can imagine how much space that takes up :) but I can cope for a while without them so I can take them gradually to where ever I am. In Stratford I didn't have them with me, but I was home every weekend so it didn't matter too much (I did miss them though), but then I didn't have a bookcase, just a pile of books on top of my draws

• 3 weeks later...
Oh no... your bag will be very heavy with enough books to last seven months and reference books too.

I too sometimes feel undecided whether to take my identification books with me places. They are so heavy though when you add them up. A bird book, wild-flower book, tree book, insect book, etc

Thankfully the island has broadband (although very unreliable - mobile seems to be better), so I will be able to order books online and get them delivered to me on the island. The delayed gratification of post only three times a week will be all the sweeter - if I get the job.

When I moved to England I left behind two bookshelves stacked two rows deep; I haven't really been able to recuperate any essentials off that for the past four years as when I go back I'm always travelling weighed down by uni books. So what I