Bang goes the New Year's Resolution

SueK

I promised myself that I wouldn't buy many books this year. I've got a TBR pile as high as Everest. So here we are nearly at the end of February and I have bought 15 this year already I mean, there's a credit crunch on for goodness sake. :)

My main problem is reading about so many good books on this forum - I can't stop checking them out and buying them.:D Is there a cure for my addiction??????:D:irked:

I promised myself that I wouldn't buy many books this year. I've got a TBR pile as high as Everest. So here we are nearly at the end of February and I have bought 15 this year already I mean, there's a credit crunch on for goodness sake. :D

You shouldn't really feel too bad. It was mentioned on radio a few weeks ago that during economic downturns book sales actually increase.

I promised myself that I wouldn't buy many books this year. I've got a TBR pile as high as Everest. So here we are nearly at the end of February and I have bought 15 this year already I mean, there's a credit crunch on for goodness sake. :)

My main problem is reading about so many good books on this forum - I can't stop checking them out and buying them.:D Is there a cure for my addiction??????:D:irked:

Nope. lol. I am the same though however I have tried to hit the charity shops and Bookmooch more. The trouble is between here and LibraryThing there are too many books around. My local library is not very good unfortunately so I have to rely on other means lol!

Agreed with what Kell said. I always ask for them for Birthday and Christmas, and Easter. :D Or whenever possible really.. or just money so I can choose what to buy. :irked:

• 2 weeks later...
Agreed with what Kell said. I always ask for them for Birthday and Christmas, and Easter. :friends0: Or whenever possible really.. or just money so I can choose what to buy. :lol:

My friends and family know about my addiction (yes, I'm addicted, and proud of it!! ), so everyone gives me gift cards for the bookstores in my area. It's intoxicating to hold a handful of bookstore gift cards just waiting to be spent!! :irked: *drool*

For me, it does help to visit the library often. I still buy books, just not so many (this is a matter of opinion, and you might get another answer were you to ask my husband)

I agree Sara and I do make use my library a lot (esp the reference section) but there is nothing like buying your own books, even if they make their way to the charity shops later on.:friends0:

I am a bookaholic too but the worst thing is trying to walk past a charity shop and not go in to look at their books. Also I have 73 books on my TBR pile and thats not counting my wish list which I still have to do. :shrug: Do beware this addiction is serious and there is no known coure for it.;)

• 8 months later...
I promised myself that I wouldn't buy many books this year. I've got a TBR pile as high as Everest. So here we are nearly at the end of February and I have bought 15 this year already I mean, there's a credit crunch on for goodness sake. :D

How many do you have by now? :lol:

I say the exact same thing every year, myself. It never works. Even with the 'crunch' still as bad as ever. I just buy less food. Books are more important.

This January, just resolve to buy twice as many books as last year! That's my tactic from now on. I mean, that's what I'm going to do anyway.... :)

I just buy less food. Books are more important
I agree entirely; so did good old Desiderius Erasmus of Rotterdam, who said, "When I get a little money I buy books; and if any is left I buy food and clothes" - see? We're in eminent company.

I once tried to work out how much I had spent on book collection, but I had to stop it was too scary! :)

I get scared when I calculate only the expense of books I still haven't read-- (but just had to have! :D) Some are years old.

My heart just isn't strong enough to know the total amount--even if most were used or remainders.