Dan's lists 2009

DanC_84

• Replies 180
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ok so I finished 'Dead Until Dark' by Charlaine Harris.

It was a pretty interesting book. I rated it at 7.5/10, and overall I would have to say I found it enjoyable most of the way through and easy to read. I thought the beginning was a little weak and after 20-30 pages I was pretty certain I wasn't going to like it but it picked up quite considerably after that point and overall I thought the author did a good job. I have ordered the next couple of books in the series on Amazon so I am going to see what I think of them.

Next up I am going to read two books simultaneously - something I do not usually do. I am going to start 'Testimony' by Anita Shreve as some ppl on here have really enjoyed it and it sounds very interesting and also Wuthering Heights, which will be the first classic I have read.

This could easily be read in one session. Look forward to your thoughts on it. :)

Haha, if only! My reading time is steadily being cut back at the moment, it is horrible.

:) Aww, mine too. Due to essay deadlines and exams looming. Even so, Testimony is a fairly quick read.

Yeah, I read the first couple of chapters last night and it seemed that way. It already seems like the type of book I will really enjoy. I am just getting home later and later at night from work at the moment and it is steadily cutting back on the time i have to read. :roll:

Urgh, that sucks. I try and make time before bed but I go bed so late that I'm always exhausted and don't get much reading done. I've been reading The Book Thief for what feels like ages now, I just haven't had the time!

Yeah, it is worse when I am reading a book that I find to be addictive as I just stay up later and later trying to finish it and then I am more and more stuffed each morning, haha. Not good.

I sinned today. I went to Borders and purchased four books that were on my 'Books to buy' list:

- Jane Eyre by Charlotte Bronte

- The Time Traveler's Wife by Audrey Niffenegger

- Wuthering Heights by Emily Bronte

- Testimony by Anita Shreve

This is funny.. Some parts of your list and my list are identical :roll: My TBR list had/has ALL of these on it. I read JE, bought WH this weekend, and have Testimony and TTW on it still. Unfortunately couldn't find those 2 at the book stalls this weekend, but I did manage to find "The Pilot's Wife" by Anita Shreve.

Let me know your thoughts on all these books since they're all rep'd in some form on my lists, too! Happy reading! :)

This is funny.. Some parts of your list and my list are identical :roll: My TBR list had/has ALL of these on it. I read JE, bought WH this weekend, and have Testimony and TTW on it still. Unfortunately couldn't find those 2 at the book stalls this weekend, but I did manage to find "The Pilot's Wife" by Anita Shreve.

Let me know your thoughts on all these books since they're all rep'd in some form on my lists, too! Happy reading! :)

It really isn't funny, I simply copy your lists, haha.

lol well you are MORE than welcome to it.. I've copied shamelessly from everyone here :)

I would have no idea if it wasn't for people's lists and reviews on here. I have not read books seriously since I was maybe 16, and even then my reading was confined to a very limited number of authors and genres.

I'm the same way.. I don't think I ever would have known about "The Book Thief" or picked the right first "pleasure reading" classic, or had a TBR list with 20 books on it w/out this forum.. Such a huge help :)

I would have no idea if it wasn't for people's lists and reviews on here. I have not read books seriously since I was maybe 16, and even then my reading was confined to a very limited number of authors and genres.

Glad to see you are getting together a great list! I find it wonderful all the recommendations and ideas I get on here. The problem is that I have lots of ideas of my own not mentioned here so my Wishlist and TBR pile get huge!

I finished 'Testimony' last night. It really was an incredible book. I'm not sure if it is my favourite book this year but I definately think it was the most well written. The author really managed to convey the message of the book perfectly I thought and it is a tribute to how well written the book is that she can hop between so many different character perspectives throuhgout the book and still manages to maintain the reader's connection with so many of them (at least in my case).

I would definately recommend it to anyone and I rated it at 9/10.

Next up I am going to start 'The Time Traveler's Wife'. I am excited about that one as it comes highly recommended from plenty of people on here.

I finished 'GLory in Death' by JD Robb last night.

I rated it at 7.5/10. Whilst I didn't think it was quite as good as the first book in the series I still found it to be an entertaining and addictive read. The story basically picks up where the first book left it and pretty much immediately launches into the main plot. The author is extremely skilled at linking the romance and thriller plots together to make the transition between them very easy and natural. I recently purchased the next two books in the 'In Death' series and I will read them at some point in the future.

Next up I have decided to start on 'Bitten' by Kelley Armstrong, a book recommended by a few people on here. I got through around 50 pages last night, seems pretty good so far.

I finished 'Bitten' by Kelley Armstrong last night.

I expected quite a lot from this book given all the great reviews I have read for it pretty much everywhere, including here. About half way through it I must admit I thought I was going to be bitterly disappointed with it. I was really struggling to establish any meaningful connections with any of the characters and the story just seemed to be dragging a little to me. I don't know, perhaps I have read too many of these types of novels lately.

Anyway it did pick up in the second half and I got through the last 250 pages much quicker than the first 200, which is a good sign I guess. In the end, whilst I felt it was an enjoyable read, it kind of fell a little short of what I expected. I have put the second book in the series on my wishlist. I will make a decision after that one whether to continue reading them.

My rating: 7/10.

Next up I am reading Charlaine Harris' 'Living Dead in Dallas'. Perhaps not the wisest choice given my comment about having read too many of these types of novels lately. I just don't really feel like reading anything I have to think too deeply about when I get home from work at the moment.

I finished Charlaine Harris' 'Living Dead in Dallas' over the weekend.

Overall it was a pretty enjoyable read. I have been a little busy and stressed out with work lately so I have just been in the mood for a book that I can come home, read and enjoy without it making me think too hard, and this book is pretty much perfect for that. I didn't think Harris built the plot quite as well in this book as she did in the first book of the series but nonetheless I enjoyed it for the most part. I rated it at 7/10.

Next up for me in 'The Time Traveler's Wife'. I am really looking forward to this book given the great reviews it has received pretty much everywhere. I read the first 40 pages last night and enjoyed the style so I am sure that I will love it.

Yay, my favourite book :haha: Hope you enjoy!

Thanks, I'm sure I will. I am really looking forward to it. The 40 pages have been great and have me really wanting to read the rest of it.

Catching me up on your reading now Dan. Glad you're getting through some enjoyable books. :haha:

LOL, not quite Ben. I have actually been really slowed down by work lately. It took me around a week to read the second Charlaine Harris book. Maybe if I actually worked more at work instead of browsing and posting on this forum....