The Alchemist's Secret - Scott Mariani

SueK

With the ever growing deluge of the Conspiracy Theory books out there, it is easy for some of this type of fiction to drown unless it is of a higher calibre. Some of the CT books are nothing short of rubbish (Chris Kuzneski's books come to mind here) but I was given a copy at Christmas of the Alchemist's Secret by a relatively new writer, Scott Mariani. I have to say I thoroughly enjoy this book and is well written and very fast paced. Yes, it has the same ol', same ol' ...... in this case the hero is an ex member of the SAS Elite Force (makes a change from the CIA) and the heroine is an American scientist and of course the secret is to be found in Southern France. This hero does actually have some flaws which is refreshing. They are both on the run from some pretty nasty characters. There is the obligatory nasty "holy man" in the Vatican and a very rum character who is inspired by the tortures of the Inquisition. Nevertheless, if you like this style of book for holiday reading or just a good thrilller to while away a few hours, then give it a go. I think it is above average for the genre. (I don't include Dan Brown in that though. I thought Da Vinci Code was a bore but all credit to him for starting the conspiracy theory flowing).

I haven't read anything like this for a long time. I quite enjoyed Brown's books, Angels and Demons the most. I kept well away from the hundreds of 'religious conspiracies' which all cropped up after his success. Though, this sounds appealing, i would like something fast-paced as the things i've read lately have just been sludgy to get through.

I don't take any of them seriously, but I recently read The Rose Labyrinth and it was great, and I have Labyrinth which I'm slowly reading. Want MOAR! They're very wholesome books. Bit of action, bit of romance, bit of philosophy, bit of adventure, etc.

To be honest, I wasn't bothered about Labyrinth. (Having been to the area where it was written, I was looking forward to reading it). I think it was mainly because the copy I had was so badly edited. The timelines got confusing, (afternoon happened before morning in one instance) and one of the characters said "OK" - this in 12th Century France. Hmmmm. So that put me off bit. For me, the best conspiracy books have to be both by Umberto Eco, The Name of the Rose and Foucaults Pendulum.

Thanks for that review Sue, I've been wondering about The Alchemist's Secret, will definitely get it now.

I couldn't get on with Labyrinth either, it was so badly written that I got completely bogged down. And written by a woman who judges book prizes too.