bookworm44's 2009 Reading List

bookworm44

Below is my growing list of books I plan on reading in 2009.

~ The book I'm currently reading is in bold.

~ Books I plan on re-reading are marked (RR)

~ Books I've already read this year are in red and are rated out of five.

~ Books with a line through it I either decided not to read or I wasn't enjoying it and gave up. =(

My Rating System

1 - Awful! If I didn't have such respect for books, I'd have thrown it at the wall!

2 - Annoying. Wouldn't recommend this.

3 - Average. Didn't sway me one way or another.

4 - Enjoyable. Would definitely recommend it to others.

5 - Excellent! Didn't want to put it down!.

2009 Reading List

1. Twilight by Stephenie Meyer 5/5

2. New Moon by Stephenie Meyer 4/5

3. Eclipse by Stephenie Meyer 5/5

4. Breaking Dawn by Stephenie Meyer 5/5

5. The Story of Edgar Sawtelle by David Wroblewski 2/5

6. Sammy's Hill by Kristin Gore

7. After You'd Gone by Maggie O'Farrell 4/5

8. Love in the Time of Cholera by Gabriel Garcia Marquez

9. A Swift Pure Cry by Siobhan Dowd

10. Cocktails for Three by Madeleine Wickham

11. Marley & Me: Life and Love with the World's Worst Dog by John Grogan

12. Everyone Worth Knowing by Lauren Weisberger

13. Rosie Dunne by Cecelia Ahern

14. If You Could See Me Now by Cecelia Ahern

15. There's No Place Like Here by Cecelia Ahern

16. Love the One You're With by Emily Giffin 2/5

17. Baby Proof by Emily Giffin

18. Finger Lickin' Fifteen by Janet Evanovich 2/5

19. Twenties Girl by Sophie Kinsella 5/5

20. The Secret Life of Bees by Sue Monk Kidd 5/5

21. Wuthering Heights by Emily Bront

Edited by bookworm44

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Currently Reading:

MarleyandMe.jpg

Marley & Me: Life and Love with the World's Worst Dog by John Grogan

Synopsis:

John and Jenny were just beginning their life together. They were young and in love, with a perfect little house and not a care in the world. Then they brought home Marley, a wriggly yellow furball of a puppy. Life would never be the same.

Marley quickly grew into a barreling, ninety-seven-pound streamroller of a Labrador retriever. He crashed through screen doors, gouged through drywall, and stole women's undergarments. Obedience school did no good

Edited by bookworm44

Wow, I'm glad to hear someone say positive things about Breaking Dawn! I prefer it to New Moon but others seem to dislike Breaking Dawn quite a lot.

Yeah, I wasn't crazy about New Moon. If you ask me, not enough Edward. So far I'm into Breaking Dawn because of

the wedding/honeymoon, however I am a little scared with Bella being pregnant, but in the end I hope I like it. Don't want the whole series to end badly, ya know?

The only other book I've read by Ahern was PS, I Love You. I really liked it and since my library has her other books I figured I'd add them to my TBR pile.

What did you think of If You Could See Me Now and There's No Place Like Here?

What did you think of If You Could See Me Now and There's No Place Like Here?

I didn't think much to either of them to be honest. They're both a bit far fetched (as all of hers are) and average reads. Nothing special but worth a read if you're a fan of hers.

my favourite is Where Rainbows End which I really recommend.

I second this. If you can get cope with the format (it's all letters, emails and postcards etc) then this is an enjoyable read.

Stephanie and BookBee, thanks so much for your thoughts on Cecelia Ahern's books. Since I found PS, I Love You to be such a fast read, I'll probably save her books for the summer and I'll definitly let you girls know what I thought.

Oh and Stephanie, thanks for the warning about Marley and Me. I'll be sure to have the tissues ready. =)

I have to give The Twilight Saga by Stephenie Meyer a 5/5 because I absolutely loved it! Were they the best books I've ever read? No. But, there was something about Bella and Edward's love for each other that just drew me in and I couldn't get enough of it. I'll definitely re-read this series again sometime soon and I highly recommend it to anyone who's looking for a little escape from reality.*

*Because I read Twilight, New Moon, Eclipse and Breaking Dawn by Stephenie Meyer all back to back, it was more like I was reading one book instead of four, so that's why I chose not to review them individually.

Also, I decided to keep this review short and sweet because I don't want to give anything away. Not even the smallest of details. When I finished Breaking Dawn yesterday the first thing I did was get on the computer to read other peoples thoughts and reviews and I was shocked at the many details people were giving away. Details that I would have been so upset to read before I read it myself.

• 3 weeks later...

edgarsawtelle.jpg

The Story of Edgar Sawtelle by David Wroblewski

Synopsis:

Born mute, speaking only in sign, Edgar Sawtelle leads an idyllic life on his family's farm in remote northern Wisconsin where they raise and train an extraordinary breed of dog. But when tragedy strikes, Edgar is forced to flee into the vast neighboring wilderness, accompanied by only three yearling pups. Struggling for survival, Edgar comes of age in the wild, and must face the choice of leaving forever or revealing the terrible truth behind what has happened. A riveting family saga as well as a brilliant exploration of the limits of language, The Story of Edgar Sawtelle is destined to become a modern classic.

Courtesy of www.barnesandnoble.com

Review:

The Story of Edgar Sawtelle had great potential, but in the end, the author didn't deliver. The book was beautifully written and I was enjoying it till about the last 100 pages, which is when I realized the book was going nowhere and I was going to hate the ending. I can't believe I just wasted the past three weeks reading this book. I'm giving it a 2/5 and I really wish I could get my money back!

• 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

beauty.jpg

Beauty: A Retelling of the Story of Beauty and the Beast by Robin McKinley

Synopsis:

Beauty has never liked her nickname. She is thin and awkward; it is her two sisters who are the beautiful ones. But what she lacks in looks, she can perhaps make up for in courage.

When her father comes home with the tale of an enchanted castle in the forest and the terrible promise he had to make to the Beast who lives there, Beauty knows she must go to the castle, a prisoner of her own free will. Her father protests that he will not let her go, but she answers, "Cannot a Beast be tamed?"

Robin McKinley's beloved telling illuminates the unusual love story of a most unlikely couple: Beauty and the Beast.

Courtesy of www.barnesandnoble.com

Review:

I simply loved this book! The only thing about the book that I would have changed was the ending. I felt the book was a bit rushed at the end and it could have been more detailed. But other than that, I have no complaints so it gets a 4/5. If you

Edited by bookworm44

Hey Bookworm44! I've heard lots of good things about this book so I think I'll have to add it to my wish list :)

From what I've heard, it sounds similar (ish) to the book of lost things which has a few fairytales tied up in it.

• 2 weeks later...

thanksforthememories-2.jpg

Thanks for the Memories by Cecelia Ahern

Synopsis:

How can you know someone you've never met? That's the question haunting Joyce Conway these days. Recovering from a terrible accident and with her marriage in pieces, Joyce is suddenly plagued by an overwhelming sense of d

mysisterskeeper.jpg

My Sister's Keeper by Jodi Picoult

Synopsis:

New York Times bestselling author Jodi Picoult is widely acclaimed for her keen insights into the hearts and minds of real people. Now she tells the emotionally riveting story of a family torn apart by conflicting needs and a passionate love that triumphs over human weakness.

Anna is not sick, but she might as well be. By age thirteen, she has undergone countless surgeries, transfusions, and shots so that her older sister, Kate, can somehow fight the leukemia that has plagued her since childhood. The product of preimplantation genetic diagnosis, Anna was conceived as a bone marrow match for Kate