Wuthering Heights by Emily Bronte

Nessicle

• Replies 173
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Have you seen the new cover for the book?

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Wuthering-Heights-Emily-Bronte/dp/0007326742/ref=tag_dpp_lp_edpp_ttl_in_f

They have tried to get teenagers to read it and some are interested as it's mentioned in Twilight. Some people are not happy though :)

Yes i've seen this, not impressed at all myself, a classic such as this does not need twilight to help it sell and in my opinion the book isn't amazingly suitable or easy to read for young girls as twilight is so it doesn't make much sense to me. :roll:

Tbh, I don't mind them using Twilight to encourage teens to read Wuthering Heights. There will always be a select group who don't like it, but I think it is good that they are trying to expand this book's reading audience. However, I do agree that there are leaps and bounds between the quality of the writing of Wuthering Heights and that of Twilight (although I do like the latter), but hopefully that won't put teenagers off.

I'm re-reading this for the Rory Gilmore challenge - am six chapters in and hooked. I read this for my English Literature A-Level and didn't like it, but am enjoying it so much more now :smile2:

I just read six chapters

(up to where Cathy & Heathcliff cause trouble at the Lintons and Cathy is kept to heal her foot)

in an attempt to catch up. I'll probably read another chapter or two tonight.

This first section is actually one of my favourites in the novel - it's the only time you get any sense of happiness between Cathy & Heathcliff, though they're probably both incapable of true happiness. I also like the start of the novel, because Wuthering Heights is utterly inundated by a heavy atmosphere - it's tense and angry, the relations are not immediately obvious - there's a clear sense of history, and the reader gets to dive into it as completely unknowingly as Mr. Lockwood himself.

Also, for those who sometimes get confused with the relations, here's a quick diagram as per explanation in Chapter 4:

.................Earnshaw............Linton

................/....................../......

Frances-Hindley.....Cathy-Edgar....Isabella-Heathcliff

..........|..................... |......................|

.......Hareton............Catherine... -.... Linton

Edited by Nollaig

I love Cathy, Heathcliff and Nelly, and I like disliking Isabella and Edgar.

Post Chapter-13 spoiler:

I can't help but get satisfaction in the way Cathy does, when Isabella goes against the better judgement offered her all around, including by Heathcliff, that she stay clear of him. I love when people who refuse to be anything other than ignorant get what's coming to them.

My overall opinion on Cathy & Heathcliff as a pair (includes spoilers to end of novel):

Sure they're wreckless, spiteful, selfish creatures, but unlike everyone else in the novel they are utterly free in all ways that count to them. I like that their connection - not love, but an innate pairing, two parts of a whole - transcends everything (society, family, time, distance) and yet it cannot transcend the duality of two bodies. So to me, they were utterly free, unified beings, wicked or not; but physically divided and thus fundamentally seperated by the flaws (class, society) and miscommunications (e.g. Heathcliff hearing that it would degrade Cathy to marry him, but not that she needs him) of life - that was what really bound them, and destroyed them. Depending on your perspective, you might choose to believe their unity transcends death (the ghost of Cathy and whisperings of their haunting the moors), and that only the utter freedom of death could ever break the restraints of physicality and society, allowing them to be together at last. That portrayal of kindred spirits surviving as one at all costs is what I love, and I've always thought that such defiant spirts could never be wholly good from a mortal stance - that they saw nothing beyond each other necessitated both the complete apathy for everything but each other, and that seemingly-wicked detachment from morals or life, because what purpose do such things have?

Edited by Nollaig

I'm about halfway through reading Wuthering Heights at the moment and it is singlehandedly responsible for killing my reading mojo!

We did have an interesting lesson on it today, though. A different teacher came in to teach us (our teacher likes having 'guest teachers' - she had her father in before) and she raised the question: what if Heathcliff is Mr Earnshaw's son by another woman? That would make him and Cathy brother and sister!

So although I think it's boring and - as someone said earlier - dense, I still think it's a very interesting book. Riddled with scandal, and such like.

How could Heathcliff be his son? He went to Liverpool for three days and came back with a half-grown boy who looked foreign.

Regarding the covers - I don't like the Twilight covers. The book is a classic, it doesn't need marketing, and anyone who wants to seek it out after reading Twilight will do so. It's not LIKE Twilight in any way and should not be marketed deliberately resembling it.

How could Heathcliff be his son? He went to Liverpool for three days and came back with a half-grown boy who looked foreign.

I'm not sure. She raised the point, but didn't elaborate on it. She implied that Mr Earnshaw had had relations with someone in the past and when he went to Liverpool he brought Heathcliff back with him. She mentioned something about the way they keep mentioning how strong the bond is between them and stuff like that.

I thought it interesting, but... yeah, I don't think it's very plausible, now that I think about it. :lol:

Wow. I can't believe a teacher said that. For someone to say it because it randomly occured to them - fair enough, the fact that they're raised as brother and sister easily leads to the question, but a teacher? They should know better. There is nothing to suggest that there was anything bad in Earnshaw's nature, nothing to suggest that there was anything bad between him and Mrs. Earnshaw, and everything to suggest that his own two children were too wayward to be of much use to him. He probably saw the child starving and alone and decided to make a go of raising a decent child, starting from scratch again. Heathcliff became his favourite because he was always picked on, initially because he was a gyspy (and Earnshaw probably felt protective because of that) and Earnshaw saw the abuse as, by extension, attacks on him and his views, especially as he got older (that is specificially stated in the text). For a teacher to conjecture something like that with NOTHING to base it on, beyond him randomly bringing a kid home, is quite shocking really. :lol:

For a teacher to conjecture something like that with NOTHING to base it on, beyond him randomly bringing a kid home, is quite shocking really. :lol:

Honestly, you wouldn't believe some of the stuff we've had to put up with from the English teachers at our school. And these people are teaching us for A-levels! Our regular teacher is even worse than the one we had today.

And thank you for the clarification in your post. :-) I'm finding Wuthering Heights to be a difficult read (we're supposed to have read it by now) and any explanations or clarifications are most helpful. :D

Shocking, but also interesting. :D Noll, I liked your family tree. Somehow it seems so much more obvious when it's written out like that, but even though I'm near the end of the book I find myself still hesitating at certain characters and having to remind myself of their place in the scheme of things. :lol:

Discussion related to the book should be in this thread. Sorry, I just realised that my previous post was referring to your post in the other thread.

We're trying to leave the Rory Challenge thread for general discussions about the list and what books we're going to read next (well, that's the theory, but you'll notice we can't always help ourselves!)

Would it make more sense if we just created a new thread specifically for Rory discussion? That way people who want to read these books in the future won't have dozens of spoilers and such to wade through. IDK, just a thought. :lol:

You'd also have in-depth discussion in a thread with a name that outwardley has nothing to do with it's content, and books that are unrelated. Which will have to be spoiler tagged. The point of these threads here is that people can go wade through past discussion, so to be honest I think it's better to keep it here (and all other books in their corresponding threads).

Personally, if I was looking for in-depth spoilery discussion on Wuthering Heights, I'd come here.

ETA: I've moved all my discussion on WH to this thread, so it's at the bottom of page 7 (including the family tree diagram) and the top of this page.

Edited by Nollaig

Would it make more sense if we just created a new thread specifically for Rory discussion? That way people who want to read these books in the future won't have dozens of spoilers and such to wade through. IDK, just a thought. :lol:

I like that idea and I've thought about it myself, but then just figured we would be creating threads about many books which might already have existing threads about them and then we'd just get MODded :D (quite understandably)

I have just finished this and thoroughly enjoyed it. I really didn't know much of the story beforehand and it was darker than I thought it would be, which isn't a complaint. Hmm, I'm sure I'll have more intelligent observations to make, but I'll need to sleep on it because it's late and I'm tired. :lol:

I can't believe how different it is as a re-read. I guess I'm enjoying it now because I'm not forced to read it, whereas for A-Level I was. And I'm not analysing every word! I'd forgotten how manipulate Cathy Senior can be. I find myself getting annoyed with her "rages". I think the narrator Nelly is a bit like her though....

I look forward to hearing your thoughts after you rest up :)

I also look forward to your rest-inspired revelations :censored:

Uh oh! Did I hype myself up or something? My reviews aren't that good. :no:

*gets thesaurus to look up some big impressive words to use, in the hopes they'll help veil her lame review*