Another Eurovision flop?

SueK

I haven't been following "Your Country Needs You" but I thought I would tune in on Saturday if only to hear what Andrew LW had written for our Eurovision entry. It didn't bother me who won frankly.

Well, what an anti-climax! Another typical ALW "aria" (I'm not a great fan on his music, except for perhaps Phantom) and this just leaves me cold.

Another good reason for not watching the Song Contest in May (I usually only tune in for the jury votes anyway - better than hearing all those songs:smile2:).

Well, I started listening to the song on You Tube but had to turn it off because it's so dire! There's no way we're going to win with that song. ALW has gone WAY off the mark with this one...:lol:

They're changing the voting system again this year so that only 50% of votes come from public phone votes - the rest comes from a jury panel lke they did originally way back in the day. Hurrah!

They're changing the voting system again this year so that only 50% of votes come from public phone votes - the rest comes from a jury panel lke they did originally way back in the day. Hurrah!

I hadn`t heard about that, it`s about time I think. :P

I'm glad to hear that Kell!

Edit - Listening to it now; I think it's a bit meh. Her voice isn't special, it's a bit dead. The lyrics/song was awful, I could've wrote something better myself. :P And that's being vain. No matter how good she performs it, we wont do any better.

Edited by Ben

I never watched the programme, but when I heard the winner, well words fail me. How can anyone think that song will win? It hasn't got a prayer. And will someone please tell me why these girl singers these days, always sing as if they have a stomach ache??

Eurovision is dominated by east European countries these days and yes it is political. The only song I have ever liked by ALw is "Memory" from Cats. It was the only show of his that I liked as well. All his songs sound the same to me. I think he just rehashes the same tunes all the time.

Personally, I don't think the new voting system will make much difference. It seems that unless your country ends in an "ia" you ain't gotta chance.

I suppose we could change our country to Britannia - that might help:lol:

Ireland's won it more than any other countries - and we've been doing terribly for years. Although admittedly, some of the stuff we've put through lately, I'd love to blame the eastern european countries voting for each other, but man, Dustin The Turkey??? WHAT WERE THEY THINKING?!?!

I think they should give up the whole thing tbh. It's so bad now.

It's not all bad - over the last fewyears there have actually been some really good songs - they just don't necessarily win - LOL! :P

Yeah which is what we've said about it doesn't matter how good we are. :lol::D

Ireland's won it more than any other countries - and we've been doing terribly for years. Although admittedly, some of the stuff we've put through lately, I'd love to blame the eastern european countries voting for each other, but man, Dustin The Turkey??? WHAT WERE THEY THINKING?!?!

I think they should give up the whole thing tbh. It's so bad now.

I did wonder, Roxi, if Ireland had lost the plot with Dustin the Turkey but I believe Ireland didn't want to win it again. But there was some equally bizarre entries as well so you could possibly have won again. Perhaps we should have entered Mr Blobby (now there's an idea:lol:).

Oh this sounds bad, it doesn't sound like it will do ALW any good either. :lol: Why on earth do they not ask one of the new artists coming up at the minute like Lily Allen, Keiser Chiefs or even Oasis to submit an entry? or is that not allowed :P

Oh this sounds bad, it doesn't sound like it will do ALW any good either. :lol: Why on earth do they not ask one of the new artists coming up at the minute like Lily Allen, Keiser Chiefs or even Oasis to submit an entry? or is that not allowed :P

It is allowed for established artists to perform. Some countries enter well-known singers from their own countries, which would explain why they give excellent performance (for example, Lordi were already a well-established heavy metal band before they won Eurovision in 2006 for Finland - and they totally rocked!).

No ideal if this is true proparly is. BBC gives more money to eurovison than any other county.

The UK is one of the so-called "Big Four" of UK, Spain, France and Germany who, in return for their huge annual contribution, automatically get through to the final every year. The UK has also played host in the past when the winning country could not afford to stage the event.

Edited by Kell

I don't see why we wont do that. :D