Which author would you like to be stuck in a lift with

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm assuming that was just in Bella's nature. Because the female character in The Host is nothing like that.

But a character like Bella shouldn't be introduced to young girls between the age of 12-17 to read about. That's the most vunerable age of women's lives and I am shocked Stephenie Meyer, being a women herself, would create a character like Bella. Meyer has the power to write books empowering these young girls, but don't. It's like no one else sees this but me.

But a character like Bella shouldn't be introduced to young girls between the age of 12-17 to read about. That's the most vunerable age of women's lives and I am shocked Stephenie Meyer, being a women herself, would create a character like Bella. Meyer has the power to write books empowering these young girls, but don't. It's like no one else sees this but me.

People do you see your point Ahsilet and it is a fine one. 12~17 years of age in a women's life is a vulnerable time but I like to think that they will make their own minds up because it is book and a book does not define you as a person, it is what you take from a book that is important and if a girl reads the saga and then decided to be submissive, well that is their decision.

I do think you have a very good point. And to be honest, I think most people are perhaps swept away by the fairytale aspect of the books and fail to recognize the way in which Bella is being portayed.

EDIT - Sorry Gyre, I think we both began to post at the same time! I agree with you also. It would probably have a bigger influence on the younger teenagers of say 12-14.

People do you see your point Ahsilet and it is a fine one. 12~17 years of age in a women's life is a vulnerable time but I like to think that they will make their own minds up because it is book and a book does not define you as a person, it is what you take from a book that is important and if a girl reads the saga and then decided to be submissive, well that is their decision.

I guess you're right. People have to make their own decisions when they read a book and take from it whatever they want. It's just the position of women and how they are represented in music, television, and books interest me. I am very touchy and passionate on that topic as well. I can't expect every woman to be the same.

Is it odd that Stephen King was the first person that came into my head?! More specifically Stephen King from back in the 80's when he wrote all my faves from high school like Carrie, Christine, The Shining, Pet Cemetery, Different Seasons and Night Shift. I just want to get to know the mind behind those stories and what possesses someone to write like that, lol. Although come to think of it I may be scarred for life afterwards so perhaps it wouldn't be a good idea! :P

I never really want to meet famous people - there's nothing, generally, special about them. Even more authors, who are famous for their creations and not for themselves. So generally I'd have said none of them.

But having read the JG Ballard autobiography recently, I suspect he would actually be genuinely fascinating to talk to as well as writing fascinating books, so he's my choice.

Is it odd that Stephen King was the first person that came into my head?! More specifically Stephen King from back in the 80's when he wrote all my faves from high school like Carrie, Christine, The Shining, Pet Cemetery, Different Seasons and Night Shift. I just want to get to know the mind behind those stories and what possesses someone to write like that, lol. Although come to think of it I may be scarred for life afterwards so perhaps it wouldn't be a good idea! :blush:

It's a wonder than a man who can write such evil isn't a serial killer :lol:

(p.s. I wouldn't fancy being stuck with him :17:)

It's a wonder than a man who can write such evil isn't a serial killer :lol:

(p.s. I wouldn't fancy being stuck with him :17:)

I'd love to meet that king , it easy to under stand how he was not a serial killer , he was too busy being an alcoholic coke head :blush:, apparently he has absolutely no recollection of writing the Shining (if only everyone could be that creative on a coke binge:roll:)

I'd be so intimidated by her. I'd probably just stand there speechless, completely useless, hehe.

I might too actually, or just gush :D. I guess it depends how long you're stuck in the lift, if it's a long time I probably couldn't stay silent.

I saw in the paper today that Stephen Fry and four others were stuck in a lift for 30minutes on Tuesday night. Apparently he kept them amused with a "succession of quips" and used his iphone to post on his "Twitter network site." :D