Which author would you like to be stuck in a lift with

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Me, I worked in a hospital , got injured and was in a lift to go to surgeon and it stopped for a long time. it was the freak out for me. But at least I was in hospital oui? :censored:

Tolstoy or Jane Austen or Charles Dickenson I would like to be 'stuck ' with in a lift, but I must have a paper bag for the anxiety.

Erm...there are loads of authors I'd like to be stuck in a lift with, so choosing just one is very difficult.

Murakami would be cool, obviously, or Harlan Coben because I bet he's got a great sense of humour and I think we'd get on.

Has Cate Blanchet wrote anything? Or Keira Knightly? No?

Damn...:censored:

Unfortunaltely neither of them does...BUT we could give them suggestion on what to write, should we happen to be stuck in a lift with them, can't we man? :motz: Sheer interest in literature anyway :motz:

I'd like to be stuck in a lift with a lot of ghosts: Dostoevskji in the first place, Dante Alighieri, Homer (if he ever existed), and counting...

Limiting myself to living writers for the sake of plausibility, I'd say:

Neil Gaiman, to beg him to stop writing the books I want to write

Terry Pratchett, to beg him to introduce into his amazing books that amazing invention: the chapter

Jasper Fforde, to share witty literary innuendos and chuckle at our own brilliance

Stephanie Meyer, to terrify her with classic tales of vampire lore

Terry Pratchett, to beg him to introduce into his amazing books that amazing invention: the chapter

Some of his more recent ones have been broken into chapters, BJ. I actually prefer his Discworld novels not to have them as he alwyas has quite natural breaks in the text anyway. However, my Mam can't read the Discworld novels because most of them have no chapters - it really gets to her!

Stephanie Meyer, to terrify her with classic tales of vampire lore

I'd also love to be stuck in a lift with SM, simply to ask her how she managed to turn a mediocre series of vampire stories into such a hugely popular money-spinner - LOL!

I'm pretty sure Jessica Alba wrote a book once. :welcome:

On a more serious not.. got to be Terry Pratchett, Eoin Colfer, Anthony Horowitz, or Jonathan Stroud. - Simply because we'd have a lot to talk about. Don't have a clue whether they're nice people or not, but I imagine they are. Jonathan Stroud I would certainly want to be stuck in a lift with.. basically because he emailed me a few times and seems nice, and I want to meet him anyway so why not in a lift!

For me, either Charlaine Harris, Terry Pratchett, Mark Driscoll or Stephanie Meyer - or, all four of them at the same time - that would be awesome!

In trying to answer this question, I realized that the desirability of being trapped in an elevator with a given writer is inversely proportional to how much I like them. If I wasn't equal to the task of making conversation with my favorite writer, I would have to live with that crushing intellectual humiliation for the rest of my life. Another danger would be discovering that he or she is a highly unpleasant person and never being able to read their books without constantly remembering those ill-fated and awkward hours you spent together in an elevator.

So, to answer the question, I would like to be stuck in an elevator with that risible hack Dan Brown because he could not possibly mean more to me than the scullery maid we passed on the way in. :friends0:

I haven't read his books for years but I think Stephen King would make it a surreal and entertaining experience. At the very least I am sure he would take my mind off the building panic as I begin to imagine the walls closing in and the oxygen slowly being depleted *shudders*. I would not do well stuck in a lift for very long!!! :friends0: