It's Oscars time - disappointed or elated?

Kell

Elated that Kate Winslet won and that's pretty much all I was elated about, lol. Disappointed that The Reader didn't win best picture, that Frank Langella didn't win best actor for Frost/Nixon and that Philip Seymour Hoffman didn't win best supporting actor for Doubt. Oh well.

I was pleased that Heath Ledger won, regardless of him being not alive any more, he put in a blinding performance that we really wont know whether it would have got recognition if he was still here.

What rankles most is that it got Best Adaptation when it's nothing like the flippin' book! :D

Oh really? That is very interesting as I haven't read the book!

I think the film was quite well made, but I would have liked it better if Benjamin Button or The Reader would have gotten more prizes. But there you go...

Still I'm glad that Kate Winslet got her's and I think it's very good that Heath Ledger got one as well. He really freaked me out when I was watching Batmen! :lol:

Me too, obviously the fact that Ledger died generated an even higher amount of publicity and intrigue around the film, though i just watched it on it's own merit. Sure there will be a lot of people praising it just because he is not with us any longer, which i think is great because it is a fantastic piece of work anyway, but imo it's one of the best performances i've ever seen in a film, regardless of whether the actor is alive or not.

In the cinema, it's just captivating. He draws you in every scene and you just want to watch more to see how much more crazy or scary this messed up guy can get. It's full of dark humour too, he created such an interesting and clever character and shows his versatility as an actor, no one would have thought he could play that role.

I'm disappointed that Heath Ledger won as although he gave a good performance, I really do believe that if he'd still been alive, he wouldn't have been nominated at all. When you see who he was up against, I think the others have been unnecessarily slighted there!

VERY pleased that Kate Winslet got the award and rather pleased that Sean Penn got some recognition too.

I respectfully disagree about Heath Ledger. He already had one nomination under his belt, and there was Oscar buzz surrounding his performance in TDK before he died. I'm glad he won, and think he deserved it.

As I said before, I'm really pleased about Kate Winslet, although I would have loved Melissa Leo to win, because I have been a fan of hers for years.

Love Sean Penn (he won an Oscar for Mystic River and has been nominated before). I do think Mickey Rourke deserved this one though, but I think they were too worried about what he might say on stage. Milk is typical Oscar-bait movie fare.