Sarah's books 2009

chrysalis_stage

• Replies 112
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't think it's about quantity of reading, Sarah, it's about quality of reading. It doesn't matter if you only read 12 books in a year as long as you've enjoyed them (or at least most of them).

We all read at different rates and some people seem to manage so many books in a year but I know if I tried then I wouldn't absorb them (sometimes I struggle to remember storylines in books I've read recently!).

Finding books you didn't remember having is always a plus. :lol:

Yes good point Janet. :lol: I would prefer quality over quantity. Although when your tbr list is so large it makes me impatient to get the chance to read these potentially great books.

I agree with the reading fast and forgetting what happened. If I read when I'm too tired I may have not bothered because I rarely remember it the next day. lol

I just got slightly confused. I've just read A wild sheep chase by Haruki Murakami and heard that dance dance dance was a sequel and thought ok then I'll go buy that next but then I've also heard that A wild sheep chase is the third in a trilogy called the rat trilogy. The first being Hear the wind sing and the second being Pinball. Dance, dance, dance was written after the trilogy and is seen as a sequel to a wild sheep chase but not part of the trilogy.

Hmm, ok then, slightly annoyed because I don't like reading trilogies the wrong way. Guess I have to hunt the others out now, I'm intrigued and maybe it will make more sense, or the beginning would have if I had read the previous books. Amazon.uk doesn't seem to sell Hear the wind sing though, I shall have to try ebay or amazon.com.:lol:

Edit - :friends0: Just read on Ebay that Murakami stated he didn't want 'hear the wind sing' and 'pinball' translated in English to be sold outside Japan as they are being used by Japanese people study English and improve their reading skills - I wonder if thats true....

Edited by chrysalis_stage

Edit - :smile2: Just read on Ebay that Murakami stated he didn't want 'hear the wind sing' and 'pinball' translated in English to be sold outside Japan as they are being used by Japanese people study English and improve their reading skills - I wonder if thats true....

From Wikipedia...

His initial success with Hear the Wind Sing encouraged him to keep writing. A year later he published Pinball, 1973, a sequel. In 1982 he published A Wild Sheep Chase, a critical success, which makes original use of fantastic elements and has a uniquely disconnected plot. Hear the Wind Sing, Pinball, and A Wild Sheep Chase form the "Trilogy of the Rat" (a sequel, Dance, Dance, Dance, was written later but is not considered part of the series), centered on the same unnamed narrator and his friend, "the Rat". However, the first two novels are unpublished in English translation outside Japan, where an English edition with extensive translation notes was published as part of a series intended for English students. According to Murakami (Publishers Weekly, 1991), he considers his first two novels "weak", and was not eager to have them translated into English. A Wild Sheep Chase was "The first book where I could feel a kind of sensation, the joy of telling a story. When you read a good story, you just keep reading. When I write a good story, I just keep writing."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Haruki_Murakami

Andrey Kurkov - Death And The Penguin

I enjoyed this book and might read Penguin Lost someday. I've also read A Matter of Death and Life, which I prefer. I still need to read The Case Of The General's Thumb.

Mikhail Bulgakov - The Heart Of A Dog

This was the first Bulgakov book I read, and led me to try The Master and Margarita, which remains on my list of part-read books. I think The Master and Margarita will be one of those books I need to read in three or four sittings if I ever want to complete it.

Andrey Kurkov - Death And The Penguin

I enjoyed this book and might read Penguin Lost someday. I've also read A Matter of Death and Life, which I prefer. I still need to read The Case Of The General's Thumb.

Mikhail Bulgakov - The Heart Of A Dog

This was the first Bulgakov book I read, and led me to try The Master and Margarita, which remains on my list of part-read books. I think The Master and Margarita will be one of those books I need to read in three or four sittings if I ever want to complete it.

I enjoyed death and the penguin and bought penguin lost straight after although couldn't get focused on it as much as the later. I will try again after I have read a couple other books though maybe I just needed a break from his style of writing, I'm not sure.

I like the look of THE GOOD ANGEL OF DEATH by Angrey Kurkov, dunno if you've seen it.

Amazon Product Description

When Kolia moves into a new flat in Kiev, he finds a book hidden within a volume of War and Peace. Intrigued by the annotations that appear on every page, Kolia sets out to discover more about the scribbler. His investigations take him to a graveyard, and more specifically to the coffin of a Ukrainian nationalist who died in mysterious circumstances and was buried with a sealed letter and a manuscript. An exhumation under cover of darkness reveals that an item of great national importance is buried near a fort in Kazakhstan. As nightwatchman at a baby-milk factory, Kolia exposes himself to the attentions of a criminal gang, and so he decides to leave Kiev for a while. Armed with only three cases of baby milk, which have unexpected hallucinogenic properties, he sets off on what turns out to be a very bizarre journey: crossing the Caspian Sea and traversing the deserts of Kazakhstan. He meets a host of unlikely characters on the way, including Bedouins, ex-KGB officers and a spirit-like companion in the form of a chameleon..."The Good Angel of Death" is a classic, first-rate Kurkov yarn which is sure to delight old and new fans alike.

I had tried reading master and the margarita a few years ago but never got round to finishing it and started other books so it's on my part read book list too :smile2: Not to say it wasn't enjoyable but it isn't as much of an easy read as Heart of a dog is. More depth so need more concentration.

Edited by chrysalis_stage

Thanks Janet :smile2:

'he considers his first two novels "weak", and was not eager to have them translated into English'

I did think he must have disliked them in some way to not want them published, it is a shame because it seems quite a few people are buying them from japan anyway because he is so addictive.

I hope to get my hands on them someday. I have seen a couple for sale on ebay and a few on amazon.com.

I like the look of THE GOOD ANGEL OF DEATH by Angrey Kurkov, dunno if you've seen it.

Thanks for the description. I'll keep an eye out for it. Looking over the list of books you wouldn't mind reading, here are my thoughts about a few of them.

This one I think I have a moral obligation to warn anyone about: The Book with No Name. I know it has good reviews on Amazon but I can only say that it's an acquired taste. I thought it was dreadful and can count the number of chapters I read before giving up on one hand. Even more annoying was the fact that I bought the ebook (the only printed copies were available on demand from Lulu) so I couldn't even sell the book to get some of my money back. It's too much of a mish-mash of genres for my liking.

I did have I Am A Cat by Natsume Soseki but I couldn't get into it. It was probably a problem with me more than the book itself, probably because I had tried to read it during a time when I had stopped reading fiction altogether. I would recommend Kokoro, Soseki's seminal work, which I completed in one sitting, but it's also a book you need to set away time for.

The Hound of the Baskervilles is the only Sherlock Holmes novel I enjoyed and thought it was well structured, which I find a problem with Arthur Conan Doyle's other Holmes novels. In fact, I think it's so well-written compared with the other novels that I'm inclined to buy into the controversy that it wasn't penned by Conan Doyle.

Hiya. I noticed you'd started reading Shadow Of The Wind. Have you had another go at it yet? I really loved it. I also really loved His Dark Materials. I've no idea why it's classed as a children's book. It ought to be mandatory reading for anyone, I think! I'd also try The Historian by Elizabeth Kostova. Magic book. :smile2:

Hiya. I noticed you'd started reading Shadow Of The Wind. Have you had another go at it yet? I really loved it. I also really loved His Dark Materials. I've no idea why it's classed as a children's book. It ought to be mandatory reading for anyone, I think! I'd also try The Historian by Elizabeth Kostova. Magic book. :smile2:

No I haven't given the shadow of the wind or the historian another try yet. I've read over 2/3 of both books and was enjoying them at the time. I really have no reason why I didn't finish them at the time, it must be about 3 years ago I attempted them. I must have lost my reading mojo at the time, or was nervous about starting university and put them to the back of my mind. I'm definitely planning on readingthem again and finishing them. :tong:

I agree with the Dark materials, they can provide enjoyment for a number of people on different levels. I noticed it in the shop for years but looked past it thinking it was a childs book, how wrong was I lol. I only read it once I was given it as a present from another adult who had enjoyed them and tbh my initial reaction was oh no what do we have here but they draw you in and don't let you go, it was a joy.

A joy indeed! Have you read - I realise that I keep banging on about this today - Stieg Larsson's books 'The Girl With The Dragon Tattoo' and 'The Girl That Played With Fire'? If not, stick those fellas at the top of your list. They are belters! I absolutely cannot wait for the third and final book to come out at the end of the year. Honestly. I'm so excited I can barely contain myself. Pathetic, really. :smile2:

I hadn't heard about that controversy, is there any evidence or idea on whom may have written it if not he? I like controversy, it intrigues me more now.
Well, after I read the book something about the writing felt strange so I did a brief search and saw some articles that suggested there was some dispute over the authorship. I didn't bother to look any further until now. It seems the matter is pretty mundane and more a question of how much of the novel Arthur Conan Doyle wrote. He originally intended to write a story with someone called Fletcher Robinson, the person who gave him the initial idea, but ended up writing the story himself. I managed to find a short history of the book if you're interested.

A joy indeed! Have you read - I realise that I keep banging on about this today - Stieg Larsson's books 'The Girl With The Dragon Tattoo' and 'The Girl That Played With Fire'? If not, stick those fellas at the top of your list. They are belters! I absolutely cannot wait for the third and final book to come out at the end of the year. Honestly. I'm so excited I can barely contain myself. Pathetic, really. :friends0:

:irked: Aw, the excitement over books isn't pathetic in my eyes, I too am excited for wildfire - Sarah Micklem, have been for too long.

I have seen those books advertised on a number of websites and in the shops but not had a look at them before. I shall check them out seeing as you are so excited by them.

Well, after I read the book something about the writing felt strange so I did a brief search and saw some articles that suggested there was some dispute over the authorship. I didn't bother to look any further until now. It seems the matter is pretty mundane and more a question of how much of the novel Arthur Conan Doyle wrote. He originally intended to write a story with someone called Fletcher Robinson, the person who gave him the initial idea, but ended up writing the story himself. I managed to find a short history of the book if you're interested.

I haven't checked the link out yet but I will do, thank you. :lol:

Just been reading Tess of the D'urdervilles and must say I can so relate to Tess in one part of the book, I love it:

Pg 107-108

The only exercise Tess took at this time was after dark; and it was when out in the woods, that she seemed least solitary. She knew how to hit to a hair's-breadth that moment of evening when the light and the darkness are so evenly balanced that the constraint of day and the suspense of night neutralize each other, leaving absolute mental liberty. It is then that the plight of being alive becomes attenuated to its least possible dimensions. She had no fear of the shadows; her sole idea seemed to be to shun mankind - or rather that cold accretion called the world, which so terrible in the mass, is so unformidable, even pitable, in its units.

Yes, do, please check out Larsson's books. I've not known anyone I've recommended them to dislike them. They've all gone :woohoo:and been really pleased I've gone on and on and on at them to read 'em. Happy days.

Yes, do, please check out Larsson's books. I've not known anyone I've recommended them to dislike them. They've all gone :woohoo:and been really pleased I've gone on and on and on at them to read 'em. Happy days.

Good to hear, I will definitely chekc them out when I have some cash.

Just decided I need my own copy of Tess - Hardy - I have such an urge to underline and highlight parts I love, never felt the urge before...strange.

Anyhoo finished The metamorphosis, on to other short stories by Kafka and finishing Boudica. :shrug:

• 2 weeks later...

Had a kick up the bum by my boyfriend. I asked him to borrow his copy of Carrie - Stephen King but he said not until I had either read or given back three of his books so I have decided to put my books to one side and finish books I have borrowed firstly and give them back.

They include:

Torn ear - Geoffrey Malone - read in one day, twas a lovely story!

White fang - Jack London - currently half way through!

The sight - David Clement-Davies - next on list if I can handle that much books on canids in a short space of time.

And I have also borrowed Sense and Sensibility - Jane Austen, so must read that soonish.

I still have 100 pages left of Boudica and have put Tess - Hardy on hold, sad to say but I want to devour it without destraction so others will be read first, same idea about Gerritsens new book, keeping the dead.

Reading Poe stories on and off as well as trying to finish The heart of a dog - Bulgakov inbetween doing uni work!

Reading Poe stories on and off as well as trying to finish The heart of a dog - Bulgakov inbetween doing uni work!

Which Poe stories are you reading? I am going to try and read some more over the next few days, i've already read about six, some are absolute classics and only a couple of pages long! He's brilliant. :lol:

Had a kick up the bum by my boyfriend. I asked him to borrow his copy of Carrie - Stephen King but he said not until I had either read or given back three of his books so I have decided to put my books to one side and finish books I have borrowed firstly and give them back.

They include:

Torn ear - Geoffrey Malone - read in one day, twas a lovely story!

White fang - Jack London - currently half way through!

The sight - David Clement-Davies - next on list if I can handle that much books on canids in a short space of time.

And I have also borrowed Sense and Sensibility - Jane Austen, so must read that soonish.

I still have 100 pages left of Boudica and have put Tess - Hardy on hold, sad to say but I want to devour it without destraction so others will be read first, same idea about Gerritsens new book, keeping the dead.

Greetings. It's been a while, as I've not been about. I notice your badge about Murakami. I love the stuff. Kafka on the Shore is one of my favourite books of all time! Note the bold type. Another sign of my excitement...:irked: Hope things are well with you!

Sounds like one for the wish list.

Oh most definitely. I highly recommend it, we always hear about classics but forget to give them ago with all the new books around, but its a must read book imo!

I did not expect to love it so much, it brilliant. You see white fang learning about the world and see things from a different perspective that makes you stop and think for a while....well it did me. :friends0:

Add it, you won't be sorry, it had me near to tears at points and smiling like a cheshire cat at others.:hug:

Lovely little book!

Oh most definitely. I highly recommend it, we always hear about classics but forget to give them ago with all the new books around, but its a must read book imo!

I did not expect to love it so much, it brilliant. You see white fang learning about the world and see things from a different perspective that makes you stop and think for a while....well it did me. :hug:

Add it, you won't be sorry, it had me near to tears at points and smiling like a cheshire cat at others.:D

Lovely little book!

Sold! It's one of those books I've heard of, and somewhere at the back of my mind thought, I really must read that one day.

*hurries off to add to the wish list right now*

Thanks Sarah :friends0:

Sold! It's one of those books I've heard of, and somewhere at the back of my mind thought, I really must read that one day.

*hurries off to add to the wish list right now*

Thanks Sarah :D

Im glad! No problemo :eek2: Hope you enjoy it as much as I did.

Which Poe stories are you reading? I am going to try and read some more over the next few days, i've already read about six, some are absolute classics and only a couple of pages long! He's brilliant. :lol:

I agree he is great, a true master! :D I've only finished Black cat, Tell tale heart, Premature burial and The system of Dr Tarr and Professer Fether. All brilliant! Started others but not finished, I must do, he is very addictive tho!