Michelle 2009

Michelle

I noticed that Waterstones had some offers going as well.. I made myself walk past! :welcomebcf:

Sue, I will give The Birthing House a try at some point, but I am very disappointed with the reviews. That'll teach me to rely on covers and blurbs!

Andy, I read the first bit of Bad Science, then jumped straoght to the MMR section.. which I loved, and agreed with 100%! I'm now working through the rest.

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Michelle, IMHO, the Birthing House is one of the worst books I have read. It did look so good and eerie when I read the back cover but don't be fooled. I can't find anything redeeming to say about it:blush: It has long since gone to the charity shop .......

I'm sorry to say I have to agree :welcomebcf: But maybe you will be one of the ones to enjoy it Michelle, I have seen glowing reviews for it aswell as bad ones

Sue, I will give The Birthing House a try at some point, but I am very disappointed with the reviews. That'll teach me to rely on covers and blurbs!

Michelle, I didn't mean to be so heavy handed with my critique. Books aren't cheap these days and we are all looking for a good read (and good value!) I hope you do find it enjoyable.:welcomebcf:

It's fine, honest - when I get to it, I will approach with an open mind. I've been known to really like books which others dislike, and vice versa. :irked:

I've finished Slumdog Millionaire - I think I was expecting something a bit different, so it too me a while to adjust to the style. My main criticism is that there was too much happening to one person, which made it rather unbelieveable. However, by the end that didn't seem to matter, and my overall opinion was very positive.

It's been nice recently to be able to choose books that I feel like reading, rather than being tied to a pile of review books. :)

I finished The Reader last night, and I can't quite decide what I feel about it. I certainly wanted to keep going with it, and I did feel a little jolt of a shock at the ending. Apart from that, however, I felt as if it had somehow missed it's oppertunity. The initial relationship wasn't explored deeply enough, and I couldn't get attached to either of the characters. That meant that the book didn't pull me in as much as I expected.

I've now gone back to The Princess Bride, which I had started a while ago - I love the idea of someone finding a childhood book and discovering that his dad had left out the boring bits, then re-writing it with those bits missing! I'm enjoying the style. ;)

I've finished Slumdog Millionaire - I think I was expecting something a bit different, so it too me a while to adjust to the style. My main criticism is that there was too much happening to one person, which made it rather unbelieveable. However, by the end that didn't seem to matter, and my overall opinion was very positive.

mmm that is true. According to an Indian friend though, all the events taken individually are perfectly believable... It's just a case of having them all happen to the same person for story purposes.

Glad you enjoyed it!

• 4 weeks later...

I have too many places to keep updated! :D

I've read and reviewed The Ringwood Tree, and then made a start on some ARCs sent to me by panmacmillan. I started with In The Heart of the Canyon by Elisabeth Hyde, which was so good that I bought, read and enjoyed Crazy As Chocolate by the same author!

In the same way, I then read Pictures of You by Jane Elmor, and I've just ordered her earlier book, My Vintage Summer.

Reviews to follow when I get a chance to catch up. :D

I've just started the 3rd one, Hens Reunited, by Lucy Diamond.

• 2 weeks later...

Silly Waterstones! I popped in last night, and got caught by some offers - I got a 3 for 2 for me, a 3 for 2 for Beth, and a BOGOF for Amy! Oh, and a nice new Pooh bookmark. :censored:

I've found myself a bit overwhelmed recently.. I have some review books to get through, plus some that I've bought are calling me. I've been tempted to start so many of them, ans it was starting to get a bit silly. I decided this morning that I must restrict myself, and so I'm reading..

Beachcombing by Maggie Dana

The Good Thief by Hannah Tinti

Hens Reunited by Lucy Diamond

Hens Reunited by Lucy Diamond

Loving the title of that one. Will it be about hens or hens as in girls :censored: I have two of Lucy's books she sent me still unread on my shelf!!

• 2 weeks later...

Beachcombing was rather good.. and needs reviewing for Maggie as soon as I can. :) I'm half way through The Good Thief - ok so far, but not outstanding.

I also started to look into the world of audiobooks, and I've downloaded and started The Graveyard Book, plus I've downloaded and finished The Curious Case of Benjamin Button - off to find the thread for this one. :)

I'm using audible.co.uk at the moment. A word of warning though.. it uses it's own format, which works fine on ipods, but not on many other players. I bought Beth a Philips mp3 player, for books, and they won't work on there. For my ipod though, it's fine.

• 3 weeks later...

I'm behind again! :D Whilst on holiday, I read Ring - I did like it, and it explains things a little better than the remake film, but I still didn't find it as scary as I thought I would.

I've also listened to the BBC dramatisation of War of The Worlds, which was excellent! I've now bought a HG Wells box set, with 5 books, and have started reading The Island of Dr Moreau.

Another audiobook listened to is The Stone Rose, a Dr Who dramatisation. The story was nothing special, but it was read by David Tennant, so it was a joy to listen to! :D

I've also started Ladies of Letters on audiobook, which is great fun to listen to in the car. :)

• 2 weeks later...

The Island of Dr Moreau was a great read, as was The Time Machine. The latter, however, was too short, and more of a social commentary - I actually much prefer the film. ;)

I've almost finished the 2nd book in the Forgotten Legion series, which is another good, easy read. I've also started The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Society, which I think I'm going to love. :006:

................... I've also started The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Society, which I think I'm going to love. ;)

I think it would be difficult not to love it! Happy reading. :006:

• 3 weeks later...

The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Society was a lovely book - I enjoyed the format it used, and on the whole it worked well.

Have also finished The Good Thief.. I did like it, but I'm struggling to review it for some reason. It's had mixed reviews, and I can see why, but it's quite difficult to outline why.

Yesterday I finished The Absence by Bill Hussey - this still had some of the trappings of a typical over-the-top horror tale, but overall was very good. Review soon.

The Island of Dr Moreau was a great read, as was The Time Machine. The latter, however, was too short, and more of a social commentary - I actually much prefer the film. :D

I've almost finished the 2nd book in the Forgotten Legion series, which is another good, easy read. I've also started The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Society, which I think I'm going to love. ;)

I loved the Time Machine, too :D

• 2 weeks later...

I forgot to mention Love Begins in Winter.. a lovely, poetic book of five short stories.

During the week I took Beth to Waterstones - they did a thing through the school wherein Beth took in a book, with a review, for her school library, and they gave her a voucher for a selection of books at Waterstones. However, we could only find one out of the list, The Fire Within by Chris D'lacey. I decided it looked fun, and I wanted something nice and light to read, so I'm now reading it. ;)

They had the usual 3 for 2, and I told her that if she could find 3 decent books, I'd get them. I was very impressed (and happy) when she chose 3 very quickly, and they were all a decent size. No more Horrid Henry.. yay! :lurker:

She went for Coraline, Cosmic, and The Magic Thief - the latter may well make it my way soon too. :)

• 2 weeks later...

I'm pleased to report that Beth is enjoying The Fire Within.. it's great to see her enjoying some longer books. She even reads in bed every night. :irked:

As for me, I moved on to Icefire, which is moving deeper into the realms of fantasy. However, I've had to put it aside for a few review books which I need to get to. From Amazon's Vine program, I requested Underwater by Elizabeth Diamond, which I'm now starting to get into, and I'm sure I will enjoy.

For Beautiful Books, I'm reading The Baby by James Briggs, which is very honest and funny; plus Through A Glass, Darkly by Bill Hussey, which is fantastic so far! :D

I would like to add here that the people at Beautiful Books have been lovely, and they have provided us with some interesting review books. They have a varied selection, and are worth checking out. :Dhttp://beautiful-books.co.uk/

Edited by Michelle

Thanks for the link to Beautiful Books, Michelle. Just a quick glance at the home page, and I've noticed a few books I've already had my eye on, especially Love Begins in Winter. They seem to put a great deal of effort in to their design, with distinctive, interesting covers, which always encourages me to pick up a book.