Reality TV

Ceinwenn

Reality TV - Love it, hate it, don't care about it?  

1 member has voted

1. 1. Reality TV - Love it, hate it, don't care about it?

• Love them! Watch them all & have been known to plan my tv viewing around them!
    • Hate them all & avoid them like the plague!
    • Not bothered either way, sometimes watch, sometimes don't.
    • Not really bothered, but I do think that there are too many of them now.
    • Love them & think that there should be more of them!

So, I've noticed that there are a lot of threads on here dedicated to Reality tv & that made me wonder "Am I the only one on here who can not stand them avoids them like the plague?" Just wondering.

I would watch 'I'm A Celebrity Get Me Out Of Here' and I like 'Dancing on Ice'. They are the only two I would really say I would look forward to seeing, having said that I wouldn't set sky+ to record them in case I missed them either. I used to love Big Brother but I'm not bothered now about it, in fact it irritates me sometimes, and there is nothing else I would look forward to.

Ahhh I think it's all in good fun! I watch some and not others.. Like "Dancing with the Stars," "American Idol," and "The Bachelor" but don't get into "Survivor," "Big Brother," "The Amazing Race" for some reason. Who knows why? :) I do think they're pretty harmless though so am not opposed .. I figure watch 'em if you like, don't if you don't. ;)

What I hate most of all is the barage of so-called celebrities we get from these shows - they've done nothing of merit and yet the news gets filled with what they're doing - they are insignificant to the extreme! You can't turn a channel without some new spin-off featuring loads of these "Reality Stars" clinging to the vestiges of their 15 minutes of fame. Personally, the very people who opt to go on reality shows are the ones who are least worth watching!

I chose Not really bothered, but I do think that there are too many of them now.

We (hubby, me and daughter but definitely not son!) watch Strictly Come Dancing (is that reality TV?) - it's pretty!

We dip in and out of I'm A Celeb.... I loved the series with Carol Thatcher in it - she was pretty surprising!

I watched the first ever Big Brother because I was interested to see the concept but I haven't watched it since. (I'm sure it was much shorter than latter ones?)

I liked the singing thing they did on BBC1 for Children in Need with the celebrities all staying in a house and being voted out (can't for the life of me remember what it was called now!) with Carrie and David Grant but I think that's finished now.

I've never seen X-Factor/Pop Idol or any of those - but then we tend to watch more BBC than ITV anyway.

I hate that there are so many reality programmes around now. Where's the novelty

factor? There doesn't appear to be anything new to see.

I additionally feel manipulated by these programmes, by their editing, their revealed 'secrets', behind the scenes shows etc.

And don't even get me started on the participants sob stories.

I have infinite compassion for the tragedies and horrble situations that people can

face in their lives and I don't think that people should hide away their life's truths.

I do however, feel nauseous to see them being triumphantly pushed to the fore by

the programme makers who seem to celebrate that a contestant has a 'good story'.

I watch quite a lot of reality TV. I like Big Brother, America's Next Top Model (or any other country's that is aired here) to name a few. Oh, and one of the best shows was definitely Flavor of Love. It's so hilarious and _unreal_. I Love New York was also great.

Can't stand Dancing with the Stars or America's [or other country's] Got Talent though.

I don't watch the singing ones at all! I was in a taxi once and the taxi driver asked me if I thought someone or other would win and I did not know who he was talking about and when I said that, the taxi driver looked at me like I just fell out of the sky :lol:

I have been known to watch 'Big Brother' but not avidly, I could not tell who is who or anything :D

I don't watch the singing ones at all! I was in a taxi once and the taxi driver asked me if I thought someone or other would win and I did not know who he was talking about and when I said that, the taxi driver looked at me like I just fell out of the sky :lol:

:D Sure you should know about it, it's top news always!

I only watch the singing shows when they are auditioning. The good ones and the bad ones. After that I can't be bothered.

• 2 months later...

I love certain reality shows but I'm really annoyed by others. Pretty much any reality show on VH1 is terrible. A Shot at Love with Tila Tequila was one of the stupidest reality shows ever. It's just so trashy! The people weren't there to find love, they were there to be on tv. >_<

I've watched almost every season of Survivor. Last season sucked but this season is turning out to be very entertaining. I love seeing how people interact in that environment. They have to figure out who they can and can't trust. As the audience we get to know most of what's going on and it builds suspense. Is Rachel going to figure out that Brad has the hidden immunity idol and get him voted off?! Oh no! :) It's great.

I'm trying to think of what else I watch. Jon & Kate Plus 8! Now that is just an adorable reality show about a family with twins and sextuplets. Right now I'm really into The Millionaire Matchmaker but that might wear off because too many of the Millionaires are idiots. If Project Runway every has another season I'll watch that. It's fabulous. :)

In my opinion, there are good reality shows and stupid reality shows. I'm sure the stupid ones outnumber the good ones. Would we be better off without reality tv? Probably.

I watch certain ones, American Idol, Hell's Kitchen (American TV), but I'm not a die hard fan of them. I'll watch one or two episodes of a new show, and if I'm not hooked by then, I don't bother watching. I think there are too many of them on TV anyway.

I watch some, the ones where there's a bit of fact involved. Learned a few tricks from cooking reality, and sometimes it's a fun way to study humanity. I tend to check out an episode of a new concept to see what it's about.

But really I'm bored by them. It's predictable who'll disappear after a while and reality gets boring. Then I usually pick up a book.

• 2 weeks later...
I love certain reality shows but I'm really annoyed by others. Pretty much any reality show on VH1 is terrible. A Shot at Love with Tila Tequila was one of the stupidest reality shows ever. It's just so trashy! The people weren't there to find love, they were there to be on tv. >_<

In my opinion, there are good reality shows and stupid reality shows. I'm sure the stupid ones outnumber the good ones. Would we be better off without reality tv? Probably.

I might be a bit weird but I love Vh1 reality shows and mostly because they are indeed really trashy. I get such a good laugh out of those shows!

What's funny is how Vh1 can create countless spinoffs from one show. First there was Surreal Life, in which Flavor Flav met Brigitte Nielsen. Out of that came Strange Love in which we followed the strange relationship between Brigitte and Flav. After that Flavor Flav got his own series Flavor of Love in which he tried to find his one true love (in three seasons! :friends0:). One of the contestants on that show, a unique woman called New York who almost had Flavor Flav twice, ended up having her own show I Love New York in which she was after her very own husband to be (two seasons!). Now, Vh1 created a show called I Love Money in which some of the contestants on Flavor of Love and I Love New York (plus Rock of Love, but that's another story) competed against each other to win 250,000 dollars (two seasons!). There's also Real Chance of Love in which two brothers (from I Love New York) meet 20 or so women and try to find their soulmates.

Yes, it's difficult to keep track of the spin-offs of the spin-offs...