Joanne Harris - Chocolat

Kell

Chocolat

Author: Joanne Harris

ISBN # 0552998486

Publisher: Black Swan

1st Published: 1999

320 pages

When an exotic stranger, Vianne Rocher, arrives in the French village of Lansquenet and opens a chocolate boutique directly opposite the church, Father Reynaud identifies her as a serious danger to his flock - especially as it is the beginning of Lent, the traditional season of self-denial. War is declared as the priest denounces the newcomer

• 1 month later...
(Chocolat was adapted for screen in a movie very faithful to the spirit of the book, starring Johnny Depp, Juliette Binoche and Judi Dench.)

I really enjoyed the book Chocolat, but I didn't like the film at all. I felt they ruined it by changing the central character from the priest into the town's mayor. I thought it lost its meaning somewhat.

And why did they feel the need to change Pantoufle into a kangaroo? He was imaginary, and only appeared in the last scene, so why not leave him as he was? (This is only a minor annoyance!).

The book was great though. I've also enjoyed Blackberry Wine and Five Quarters of the Orange by Joanne Harris.

Watch the movie first, that way you can still enjoy it & then adore the book. If you read the book first, you'll be a bit miffed about the little changes they've made here & there, but if you've not read it, you won't know so it won't bother you & you can enjoy it for what it is. It shouldn't ruin the book for you (in fact, I enjoyed the book all the more for having seen the film first in this case).

Watch the movie first, that way you can still enjoy it & then adore the book. If you read the book first, you'll be a bit miffed about the little changes they've made here & there, but if you've not read it, you won't know so it won't bother you & you can enjoy it for what it is. It shouldn't ruin the book for you (in fact, I enjoyed the book all the more for having seen the film first in this case).

Except that I've given it away in my post above. :oops: Sorry.

Do you have spoiler tags on this forum?

I have the book to read and I watched the film the other week, I knew it would be different just from what I've read on the back of the book, but still can't wait to read that and the other 2 of hers that I have :D

I started reading Blackberry Wine, but I couldn't get into it at all. I think I was having problems with it being from the opint of view of an inanimate object - I couldn't get my head round that at all.

I started reading Blackberry Wine, but I couldn't get into it at all. I think I was having problems with it being from the opint of view of an inanimate object - I couldn't get my head round that at all.

It's certainly a strange concept for a book. I think that's probably my favourite so far, of the ones I've read!

• 2 months later...

Chocolat is by far her best book and although the film is good I love the book and imagining all the characters myself.

One of the few books I would give 10/10 for. :)

• 3 weeks later...

I've just finished reading Chocolat and I thoroughly enjoyed it. :(

I've also read Blackberry Wine and agree with you, Kell, that at first I didn't like the idea of a bottle of wine telling the story, and it did take me a long time to get into it.

It also took me a while to care about the people in Chocolat, I think Joanne Harris is a wonderful story teller and she brings her characters to life in a very slow and deliberate way.

I thought also it was interesting that she told the story not only from Vianne's perspective but from the Priest as well, giving us different sides of the unfolding tale.

I haven't seen the film but I can just imagine Judi Dench playing the part of the no nonsense but likeable Armande who shares a spiritual connection with Vianne.

It was a lovely feel good book that I didn't want to end.

Carole

:)

event.png

Glad you enjoyed it, Carole - I agree, it's a particularly warm story & the opposite viewpoints of Vianne & the priest make for an interesting twist. :)

• 4 weeks later...
  • 5 months later...

I love Chocolat, it is definitely my favourite Joanne Harris book. In fact, it is one of my all time fave books. I also loved Blackberry Wine and my Mum is desperate for me to read Five Quarters of the Orange, which is her favourite JH book.

I really like the film for Chocolat despite the little changes, oooh Johnny Depp makes me melt into a puddle on the floor!!

I really like the film for Chocolat despite the little changes, oooh Johnny Depp makes me melt into a puddle on the floor!!
Yes, I felt that the changes made were still in keeping with the spirit of the books and so worked well. The film stands up both as a film in its own right (for those who haven't read the book) and as a very good adaptation. It's rare for me to agree with changes being made to a plot from a book (the way I see it is it worked in the book, so why change the story when the film is supposed to be based on it), but in this case I could see why various little changes had been made, making it more appropriate for visual entertainment, than it might have been if it had stcuk to the book to the letter.

And of course, it helped that Johnny Depp was in it. :lol:

Personally, I hated the film version of Chocolat. I could cope with them changing the imaginary rabbit into a kangaroo (although why? He's imaginary, for goodness sakes), but one of the main points of the book was the conflict between the chocolate shop and the church.

The priest was a strong character in the book, but a simpering idiot in the film, and I didn't get why they needed to change that.

The book is one of my all time favourites though - I really like Joanne Harris.

I could cope with them changing the imaginary rabbit into a kangaroo (although why? He's imaginary, for goodness sakes)...
That was actually the only change I really couldn't understand - I wanted it to be the rabbit! :lol: